PSA: Severe Storms Tonight

If you live in SE Nebraska, SW Iowa, NW Missouri, or NE Kansas, you need to be prepared for damaging storms tonight. The power is already out across pretty much the entire Omaha metro with 85-90 mph winds. These storms could also produce hail around 2 inches or larger. To prepare for when the power goes out…

Charge your phone, power banks, battery cases, and flashlights (as applicable) NOW. You do not want to be caught without these essentials when the power is out. It could be out for an extended period of time due to the potentially widespread damage nature of these storms.

Put bottles of water in the fridge now so you can still get some cold water! This is likely to happen late into the overnight hours tonight, so hopefully you have an Anker PowerHouse if you can’t sleep without a fan!!!

This has the potential to be extremely treacherous. Expect the worst. Prepare NOW.

Stay safe, everyone.

3 Likes

Meanwhile in California…

1 Like

For what its worth I do not think anyone will be checking an Anker forum if they live in these affected areas for the latest weather updates. At least I wouldn’t be. No offense @AnkerOfficial :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

Oh, now you’re just being decent with the frying pan. :stuck_out_tongue: Gotta love the California weather though. :wink:

1 Like

Oh I agree, this forum only gets active when there’s a giveaway, there’s usually not many here.

However, @joshuad11 is reaching out using all methods as his disposal with sound advice, so all due credit.

The advice is valid, it is to own lots of batteries, and then ensure they are charged when the probability of an issue is imminent. Batteries last longer if stored in a not fully charged state, so need to fully charge for known issues is a good way to maximise your investment.

Also filling a fridge with water is also a good way to make the fridge more efficient, because every time you open its door the cold air is exchanged with warmer air so you lose cooling, but that air is smaller in volume via the presence of the water, and water has a high specific heat density meaning it takes more energy to raise its temperature, so it acts to keep other items cooler. It does though take some hours to chill that water. Bigger containers of water is slower to warm up than smaller bottles due to the ratio of volume to surface area.

1 Like

Good advice, @joshuad11! I hope everyone is safe!

1 Like

It is good to be reminded of these things this time of year even if you didn’t get hit by the storms last night. Also the system resulted in widespread wind damage, and it will be a top national story.

It is good to be reminded any time of the year on anything which disrupts what you take for granted.

Also note: refridgerators are good in winter power outages to shield outside heat from the contents, due to the thick insulation, e.g. stop water from freezing. So a generally good place to store water all year round.

Where I live its a no-notice 1 week without utilities problem we have to plan for, earthquakes are not currently under forecast (unlike weather).

Typed from Yorkshire, England, where the biggest problem is nothing like the biggest problem most of the USA has to handle.

Never said it wasn’t good to be reminded of this. I just do not see why it was on a Anker forum for electronics. Which if it was serious enough to have to warn people of I would have just thought it would be better to announce it elsewhere? None the less its the past and maybe someone did get helped by your announcement and or learned something new about prepping for a storm that robs you of what most take forgranted, water and electricity.

Oh I announced it elsewhere too.

No matter where you announced this, everyone will be grateful because of your reminds.:heart:

1 Like

@joshuad11 after hurricane sandy here on Long Island, New York a few bottles of water was not enough, it got so bad the National Guard here had to distribute MREs (food), Cases of water, and gasoline. I sure wish I owned an Anker battery back then

2 Likes

Where I live we need 7 days minimum as roads are assumed all blocked, we begin with cold food then frozen food (defrosts over 3 days) then dried then tinned, the hardest part is water, its 2L per person a day in winter, 4L/pppd summer so 7 days 4 people is 112L. We all have a tree and a saw for fuel, an external grill for cooking and a wood fire for heating.

Some go into the forests after a storm and gather fallen branches are store under cover.

The Anker stuff is easy, its about 5Ah/pppd so 7 days 4 people = 140Ah, which I have across many larger batteries such as the 26.8Ah Powercore. I also have solar which can make 10Ah/day and my bikes all make 0.5A/hour when riding.

I probably need a couple more LC40s.

Of course having more than you need would help the community, particularly any recent arrivals who hadn’t got around to accumulating supplies.

Well you posted a deal yesterday: LC130 and 2 LC40s for $60… that’s a pretty good deal!

Don’t like the LC130, like LC90 and LC40. Waiting for the two pack of LC40 to come up, it will eventually.

1 Like

i think he means anker made a new product that is taking on the world :smile:

The Anker PowerStorm, has the potential to power an entire suburb. :joy: