Price question LG G6

Hey everyone,
I have an one plus x and now it’s time to get a new phone.
I will buy the lg G6 for a price of ~400€ (470$) in Germany. But the negative thing is that it doesn’t have wireless charging.

I want wireless charging and the us version has it. Now is the question how much is it in the us?

It would be nice to get an answer, because I will be in the us for a year. Also I want to test the charging pad from Anker.

http://www.lg.com/us/cell-phones/lg-US997-Platinum-Unlocked

1 Like

Ok thank you but for me it’s looks like the listed start price.

I’m curious why did you chose the Lg G6 over the Samsung S8.?

You can usually buy a Qi plate you insert into the USB socket and under a case, bulks it up a little but it adds wireless. Need the orientation A/B if microUSB or a USB-C.

It’s very simple it is the price. In Germany the price for a Galaxy s8 is by 660$ and for the lg G6 by only 470.

Hard choice considering the G6 specs. Personally I would go with the S8 and be “future proof” longer. It looks a lot better in my opinion and the wireless charging.

What are you really going to do your phone that requires the fastest processor available? Text, call, browse the web? These are all things that can be done easily with machines several years old.

In your opinion, what is the main advantage of wireless charging?

You can go for days never plugging in. The plug-in problem is less with USB-C than MicroB.

So phone is on your bedside charger, you pick up, go to office, on calls and pick up phone, put phone down on charger when working on laptop, go home. You can often not need to ever plug in.

It is more of a trickle charge really compared to wired.

So it is less of a benefit with USB-C, less of a benefit if someone has no real fixed location (like an office desk).

1 Like

Do you see a future with no charging port? And who do you think will be the first to do it?

No.

User demands for performance, features, will compel there to be always a need for the fastest possible charge. No escaping that, if you go with a bigger battery, it takes longer to recharge (so you want fast charging), if you go with a smaller battery, you need to charge more often (so you want a fast charging).

(and why I think Apple who do not use Qualcomm chips will be compelled by logic to embrace USB-PD for iphone which goes upto 100W)

I think the key to wireless charging is its cost, it is very low cost ($5?) so a “why not” kicks in. If you’re looking for differentiation then wireless charging is easy and cheap.

The issue over last few years has been the move from a plastic outer covering to metal, that blocks wireless charging (and NFC) and so external antennae bands to get around it but that doesn’t help wireless charging as you need a round shaped big EM transparent back. So you can do glass (ceramic), or plastic.

The case for wireless is less now with USB-C.

So wireless charging is a “why not” which is useful, but I’d not redesign the whole product around it.