PowerWave Stand 10w Wireless Charger Review

Hey All :wave:t2:

Recently bought the PowerWave 10w Stand. There’s lots of reviews for the new PowerWave II and wanted to remind people, depending on your requirements, there are still other relevant products available.

Here’s a short review, but first…

Anker has a great community forum with regular reliable contributors who will lend a helping hand if you have any “real world” questions on products. It’s full of user reviews, product and new release information, product testing opportunities and a section to trade virtual “bucks” earned by forum participation for entries into the Power Draw giving you a chance to win some great prizes. Check it out here;
https://community.anker.com

Onto the PowerWave…

Unboxing
Standard Anker blue and white packing.

First Impressions
Very light. I’m concerned the vertical part of the stand, not having any grip, will allow the phone to slide if you try to use the phone while charging.
There is a nice rubberised base to stop it slipping on a shiny boardroom table.

Setting Up
Take it out of the box, grab a lead and a suitable PowerPort and start wireless charging.
NOTE, don’t go using your standard 5 volt 1 amp or PC’s USB socket with this.
You need a quick charge 2.0 or 3.0 adaptor for fast charging.

In Use

This is a 10/5 watt QI Certified charger.
It works as expected.
Although once or twice it didn’t register on my phone it was fast charging, never had this problem on the Wakey so my phone is fine.
Phone has slipped off a couple of times when swiping left/right to dismiss when the alarm sounds.
It charges my wireless earbuds case fine.
Doesn’t seem to generate any heat.

Who Would Use This
Anyone with a compatible wireless device to charge!
If you want a wireless charger for travel this is great as it makes the phone available to use while charging and is very light, although a wireless pad would take up less space in your travel bag.

Pros
It charges as expected.
Fast charge makes a significant difference to charging times.
It holds the phone horizontal or vertical for using while charging.
Charges my wireless earbuds fine.
Light weight so would travel well.

Cons
It would be nice if it had a horizontal slim rubber strip on the vertical part, or better still is supplied with a couple in the box to keep the phone from sliding.
Blue LED ring a little bright at night on my bedside unit, so would be nice if the LED turned off when the phone is charged.
USBC input would be preferred over micro.

In Summary
This is a nice space saving alternative to charging pads.
Allows easy use of your device while charging.
It looks nice, not fancy, just functional.

Check out what Anker has to say here,

As always if you have any questions, or would like me to investigate or try anything, leave a comment below.

4 Likes

Great review there @paulstevenewing :+1:

I think the Blue LED is a problem for most of us :slight_smile:
Also, one other point for improvement would be need for Anker to move towards USB-C port for charging… i think everyone would agree that we have a ton of micro-USB cables now :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thanks @Shenoy
Agree, I overlooked that. Ive updated the cons to reflect that.

1 Like

What a great review :clap:
I agree that they should’ve used a USB C cable, my old 2018 wireless charger from Samsung used a USB C cable, hopefully soon can start ditching the old micro USB.

Seems like a lot of people don’t like the blue LED but it doesn’t bother me at all, in fact k like it cause I know if it’s charging or not at a glance

2 Likes

Great review!! @paulstevenewing
I see the blue LED has been bothering quite a few people :face_with_monocle: let me forward it to our support team and see what they can do for future products.

1 Like

Perfect review, perfect photos Paul!

Now lets go for “banana bread” :rofl:

1 Like

Thanks @AnkerOfficial @ikari04warrior @ikari04warrior

1 Like

Solid review and reference photos as usual @paulstevenewing :+1:

1 Like

Good review.

I’d say for these a pro is they are only 10W, so is aging the phone battery slower. A con is they are only 10W so they charge your phone slower. On balance they charge fast enough for many contexts so a net pro. This is one of the areas where slower is a net positive.

Anker’s love of bright blue lights for bedside situations can be sometimes addressed non-destructively with a soft pencil 9B.

1 Like

Thanks @ndalby and @professor :+1:t2:

@AnkerOfficial
There are other wireless stands that have a button where you can cycle on/off the light indicator.
Personally, it doesn’t bother me at all as it’s very dim and it also lets me know that the charger is charging my device.

Nice review @paulstevenewing and I agree with the pros and a bit more grip to prevent phone from sliding and a USB-C port.

1 Like

Thanks @Dez_S :+1:t2:

1 Like

Great review will give this more thought, always wanted to step into the wireless charging world! Maybe now I would actually remember to charge my phone when I go to sleep :rofl: @paulstevenewing

1 Like

Thanks for your kind words @Scott_Daletas
It’s easier to remember when you just have to slip it onto a dock.
Get one, you won’t regret it.

Agree. I think it’s time to move on from micro USB and also QuickCharge standard.

1 Like

Yea lot of people here has been asking for USB C, and I think some of their wireless chargers come with it, but unfortunately they still using it more than they should

2 Likes

Anker has only so much influence on them.

https://www.wirelesspowerconsortium.com/knowledge-base/testing-and-certification/qi-certification.html#product%20certification%20program

To be Qi compliant, you have to use QC to get up to 15W.

It is not required so you can do something, like Anker did with IQ2 and IQ3 which works but is not IQ compliant.

So for example this product, the words Qi Certified cost Anker a fee to adhere to the standard and why it’s not including the charger and why MicroB.

Another example this is bundled with the charger. So they picked probably their lowest cost older model to be compliant and a bundle.

This is not Anker’s fault to some degree. I’d say blame Samsung?

Anker’s choice are to dump the Qi logo and certification and just build to work or where we are today.

Anker is full member of the 566 members

But is not a board member.

@paulstevenewing Good Review

1 Like

Hey @Brianna_Greene thanks very much. Hope you’ve had a great day?