PowerLine+:
Bends: 10,000
AWG: ??/??
Strength: 80kg

PowerLine II:
Bends: 12,000
AWG: ??/??
Strength: ??kg

Currently I have PowerLine (regular) build quality is good (for my use) but I’m always on the lookout smaller AWG.
So I’m especially looking for the missing AWG values.
The other things are a bonus.

2 Likes

Most likely they are around 20 AWG still or possible bigger gauge. Going smaller in current electronics for AWG is actually a bad thing since it dictates how much current you can reliably transmit without burning up your cable. Older cables that transmitted about a half amp would be around 24 guage (really small wire size btw, making it very prone to breakage). This would be right at the handling ability of the wire. 20 AWG is rated at 1.5 amps. Granted these are not maximums, but the reliable standards (24 can do up to 3.5 amps while 20 can do 11 amps), but these higher levels are chassis mounting and not something that can be done reliably during charging. To make a long story short, you want larger gauge wires, unless a possible fire hazard or slower charging is okay.

http://www.powerstream.com/Wire_Size.htm

3 Likes

Can we ask if you are referring to micro USB cable or iPhone lightning cable? The AWG differs between a Powerline micro USB cable and a Powerline lightning cable. It also differs between different lengths.

Please contact our CSR at support@anker.com with your question. We will reply you in a timely manner.

4 Likes

[quote]Going smaller in current electronics for AWG is actually a bad thing
since it dictates how much current you can reliably transmit without
burning up your cable.[/quote]
Sorry to say Monk3e, that wrong. Just look at your own table.

AWG 20: 0.519 mm2 and max. 1.5 amps for transmission
AWG 000: 53.5 mm2 and max. 150 amps for transmission

If you go to this link and check the 4th picture you see the same.

So:
Small AWG number = big amps.
Big AWG number = small amps

1 Like

Following up on my own AWG post.
Smaller AWG (thicker cable) is not the only thing that counts too minimize losses.
It’s also the material.
When you look at the prices for jumper cables you will see they vary greatly. The obvious reasons are length, AWG and construction quality.
The other less know factor is the material.
Many of the cheaper cables are copper plated aluminum.
The more expensive cables often are all copper.

For the number geeks: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electrical_resistivity_and_conductivity
About halfway down the page you’ll find ‘Resistivity density products’ section.
A huge difference. While pure copper cables are more expensive and more heavy they get the job done much better.

Not sure any of this applies to Anker cables as I don’t know they are plated or not.

1 Like

It would be great if Anker put a large table online that lists all AWGs for all cables.
Or at least update the product discriptions, because a lot of info is missing.
Shure I can contact the helpdesk, but it would be nice to have all info online.

I use 1ft cables for almost everything. But also one 2ft cable
I’m using USB-micro but would buy a lightning cable with a convertor.

The reason I’m so obsessed with AWG is that I use powerbanks a lot.
I want to be able to get the max. possible charges out of them.
Using thick cables is one way to do so.

But I’m going to contact support

1 Like

Think you have this all wrong bud, as wire gauges transition from 000 to higher numbers, the diameter and overall diameter of the wire actually decreases. I do believe your post was misunderstood by me since you said a “smaller AWG” which could be taken as a smaller size, or a smaller gauge which is actually going in 2 different directions. The link I posted for you does actually give you an AWG sizing table along. Also, your AWG example with 150 amps is for size 0.

Sure it can be misunderstood, our chat attests to that.
Besides of that my nick isn’t ‘Big_Arcane’ for no reason :slight_smile:

I said “smaller AWG” which means bigger diameter according to the AWG standard.
It’s kinda unlogical, but it is as it is.
Look at it like A-grade which is better than C-grade even if A is a lower number in the alphabet.

If you check the table near the end you’ll see the metric values have it the other way around.
Bigger number = bigger diameter.

Let’s agree, to disagree.

3 Likes