Powerline cable type comparison?

Can anyone help give me a quick side by side sort of comparison between the different categories of charge/sync cables? By which I mean, are there any notable differences between say Powerline lightning, Powerline+ Premium lightning, and Powerline II Dura lightning, other than each new iteration being a magnitude more durable than the previous?

I haven’t found any spec info on the different cable types, so I’m not sure if there is also any variation between categories in the conductive substances (copper vs aluminum vs zinc steel vs gold, etc.) or gauges used for their core wiring, or even any significant changes to the usb and/or lightning connector tips (all of which would obviously affect sync/charge capacities. I realize the difference in insulation would have an effect as well, though don’t remember enough from university physics to try and figure out how significant a variance that would create).

Pretty much I’m trying to figure out if Powerline II Dura, or Powerline+ Premium are the superior cables, since aside from the aesthetic differences (I happen to like the sleek look and feel of the gunmetal kevlar sheathed Powerline+ cables best myself, vs. the more ruggedly rubberized look the new style sport) they both espouse their durability and high capacity as being top end… and well I already have quite a number of the powerline+ cables, and while I figured I’d grab a couple of the extra small sizes the new batch conveniently comes in, just to give them a try, is there any advantage to the longer sizes vs. the Powerline+ i currently have? Besides geeking out.

So you have design, then manufacturing, two important differences.

In general, i.e.the design, the Powerline+ conduct better than Poweline.

However specifically, each cable will have unique local issues which grow with age.

Certain functions you perform of the cables makes this matter more than others. For example recharging at night almost any cable will suffice, but the cable you use to expect to recharge as fast as possible needs to be as short as possible and highest quality. Quality matters more with cable length.

Hence, say you wanted a long cable and to use it for faster charging - that would tend to be argued towards the Powerline+, but say a shorter cable for faster charging, Powerline or Powerline+. All other cables you can use of the free bundled 12-18" type lengths.

It is worth buying a USB meter tester to test each physical cable and charger and device combinatio, and not use any kind of device app as they lie (using a device causes it to reduce its own power intake due to thermal throttling).

1 Like

thanks, and yeah I definitely get that as a general rule of thumb, and its why i’ll be picking up a couple really short length Dura cables regardless. I definitely always use usb testers anyway, but hoped someone was aware of official specs (or @AnkerOfficial could weigh in) since I don’t yet have the new cables, and to really test would have to buy new cables of both kinds in the same longer lengths, which i don’t need. If someone else had done the homework I figure’d I’d just crib off them lol
And like we ended up discussing in the other thread it was more about wether/how the current cross-generational state vis. the two classes of cable impacts their relative performance specs at greater cable lengths, considering the Dura class may have been leapfrogged beyond the present specs of the powerline+ class, with plans to release an updated version of those soon as well.

I also wish they would make it more clear which is their most premium model. The + comes with a case even, whereas the Dura does not.

dont need case, they’ll end up probably in trash. Only care about performance, reliability, cost (and warranty).

[quote=“nigelhealy, post:5, topic:33196, full:true”]
dont need case, they’ll end up probably in trash[/quote]
I’ll agree with @nigelhealy. Cases for cables IMO are pointless if you know how to wind the cable correctly…I use the method that my bass guitar strings (and guitar strings as well) have used for 1/2 century at least. No velcro ties, no wire ties, just the string (or cable) holding itself together in a nice flat loop.

1 Like