PowerIQ 2.0

Most likely.

Since it is their newest tech, they would use it as the new standard in all products going forward. The only time they may not incorporate it is products that are planned to be phased out i would think.

PowerIQ 2.0 is not simply a chip upgrade but it also require different designs to accommodate higher power output (increase price). I don’t think they will replace all.

We don’t have plan to replace all, some power banks will use other technology like Quick Charge and Power Delivery.

1 Like

Maybe not for all lineup, only for some models.

But IQ2 is QC so surely it’s IQ2, PD, IQ1 ? You retire QC?

2 Likes

Thank you. Specifically, is it going to be added to the PowerCore II 6700? I’m debating between that and a PowerCore II 10000. I would like the PowerIQ 2.0 in the 6700, but the next closest is the 10000.

Wait, I’m confused. Can Anker push an update to us in some way, or will they be sending new powerbanks out, replacing our powerbanks we’ve already bought?

I would imagine that there would be no retroactive changes to existing IQ1 devices, but that all future releases would support the new standard. Maybe someone smarter than me can clue me in to how this works. haha!

There will be new packs released that have different standards such as iq 2.0, power delivery, quick charge 3 or even 4.0
Meaning, you wi uave to buy a new one if you want the newest and best.

Nope. IQ2 = 18W. IQ1=12W. IQ2 = QC + IQ1 it is a lower cost way to do QC3. The only real beneficiaries are those with QC devices which is mostly Samsung phones.

If/when Anker makes IQ2 chargers then you can use IQ2 for faster powerbank recharging. But no sign of that coming.

What’s the different between PowerIQ 2.0 and Quick Charge 3.0, particularly if you have a QC 3.0 device?

Power IQ 2.0
It’s very similar to quick charge 3.0 but without having to license the tech from qualcom as it’s Ankers own proprietary technology. It’s designed with voltage boost to assist with cable resistance as well as boost the power requirement of a device such as one that uses qc 3.0

1 Like

Informative. Curious to know if it achieves QC 3.0 speeds and if the device reports “Fast charging” when charging.

I had the first batterypack that incorporated iq2.0 and I can attest it does indeed show on the device that it’s fast charging. As for times, its charged my motorla moto x pure slightly faster than its own turbo charge cable. I know this phone doesn’t use qc 3.0 but it’s own proprietary turbocharge cable.

Thank you for the info

Probably more in reference of future QC versions. 4, 4+, etc.

There is literally only 2 phones on the market right now that utilize qc 4.0, and only 1 of them is officially listed by Qualcom and that’s the Razor phone

If memory serves this happened when QC 3.0 released. Over time some system updates allowed for backwards compatibility, but more or less serves as a break in point for new tech. Think apple when they released the Lightning cable, or USB-C, etc. All had to start somewhere.

Quick charge 3.0 cannot be updated to 4.0 by a simple over the air update. It’s a physical chip that has to be made into the phone and the same with the processors of the phone, they may be capable of utilizing qc but if the manufacturer doesn’t include that chip then it’s limited to certain specs. Take samsung galaxy s8, it has 4.0 capability but samsung limits it to adaptive fast charging which is the typical charging speed of quick charge 2.0

True, my point was mainly that we don’t know the entire chipset line that supports QC 4+ just yet. An example is the below chipset taken straight off of Qualcomms website indicating QC 4+ support. Incidentally this chipset is on the new samsung galaxy s9+. The LG V30 for instance uses the same chipset as the Razor (Snapdragon 835 MSM8998), so it might be possible to support QC 4 as well. We really don’t know how far ahead these manufacturers looked when designing phones. A good example of this is the release of the LG G4 when it was stated there was no QC support. More than likely it will be a going forward only thing, but some tech companies may have designed their phones with this feature in mind already.

https://www.qualcomm.com/products/snapdragon-845-mobile-platform

https://www.androidcentral.com/lg-g4-supports-qualcomm-quick-charge-20-after-all