PowerCore II Fast Charge iPhone?

Haha, thanks man! There are a lot of great leaders in this community! I think you can be one, too!

2 Likes

Fair point, although I was referring mainly to the USB-C charging cable (lack of coffee this morning, I wasn’t clear in my response :slight_smile:).

Yes the PowerCore+ 26800 probably has the capability but it’s output is lower than Apple’s official adapter (29w), so speed would be reduced (time could be negligible between the two though)

1 Like

So the PowerCore+ 26800 PD is 27W?

Yes

A 30W USB-C output

fully charge in just over 4 hours

Compare with say the 26800 dual input I own

a full charge takes just over 6 hours
Input
5V ⎓ 4A (5V ⎓ 2A Max Per Port)

Output
5V ⎓ 6A (5V ⎓ 3A Max Per Port)

1 Like

Ah, your meaning the 26800 PD. In that case yes, 30w output.

2 Likes

So what we really need is dual USB-C ports :heart_eyes:

Well for a phone, most phones currently cannot take more than 20W, which is why say OnePlus DASH is 20W and QC3 is 18W.

Then a larger Powercore it should be able to output 60W and input about 30W. Hence if it were dual output then two 30W concurrently, so like a iphone and a tablet. A 60W Powerport should be able to recharge a 30W input Powercore and 30W left for a phone / tablet (like iphone).

I am not interested in the iphone whatsoever, but I am very interested in a total package system of phone + tablet + powercore + charger + cables as small as possible.

3 Likes

Do you see a spot for 45W (like the rumored PowerCore+ II 20000) or should it go straight to 60?

1 Like

The newer USB-PD allows a fully flexible choice of current and ampage, the device and the charger negotiate, so you can do anything you want, it is really only limited by the heat of recharge, so Anker can build a prototype and measure it. Indeed, they could have a thermo regulator so that in say a cold location the recharge is faster. That regulator would increase cost, so a cheaper way is to measure it in the lab in a warm location and fix a safe upper limit.

A 3400mAh 4V 18650 has a safe standalone (able to cool itself with no other cells around it) at 12W input and 24W output. 8 such cells have thus 96W input and 192W output, these both reduced by the cells being packed together warming each other up. Only Anker would be able to prototype and measure and decide. Yes, 45W is perfectly possible, but its the heat. A metal jacket to dissipate heat, with a thermal compound inside would help. Metal is more expensive, thermal compound is an added cost. You willing to pay >$100 for a faster Powercore? I’m not!

With a more efficient IQ2 the other cause of heat from the DC-DC should be reduced, as well as the cost.

BTW IQ2 and USB-PD are perfectly possibly the same thing, as USB-PD is superior to QC3 and also why QC4 and essentially the same as USB-PD. So we have the cables USB 3.1, we have more efficient electronics, we have the fully flexible negotiations, all we need is the will from Anker to make it, followed by the will of the consumer to buy it.

What is the iphone 10 max recharge and what is it charging technology exactly?

2 Likes

We don’t know. Apple will never tell us.

But my guess is it’s about 30W.

Otherwise, they would’ve probably offered a smaller wall charger.

I doubt unless they mentioned a new type of cell technology, it is physically, without exploding, capable of more than about 20W. So shipping with a 30W would be overkill. You’d need a wide flat form factor like a tablet to be able to get >20W without thermal issues.

I was wondering if meets to USB-PD specs or something Apple proprietary so it can screw customers even more with a special Apple charger.

1 Like

Well, in the case of their iPads, it seems to be PD.

I’ve never seen “fast charge for iPhone”

Like I said previously, think it is just wording…the PC 2 10000 has a maximum of 18w output, Apple’s tech specs for enabling fast charge (or 50% in 30 min) requires minimum of a 29w charger

Still haven’t got my head around peoples need for rapid recharging on phones but that’s just me :confused:

1 Like

+1

It’s good for being only with your trouser pocket and charging rarely, but for anyone with anything bigger like a bag just carry a Powercore.

:thumbsup:

Either that or just make sure your phone is charged overnight so it’s at 100% for the start of the day.

My average work day is 8-9 hrs, during which my nearly two year old iPhone 6s gets used for email, network file browsing, wireless testing, job logging with photo evidence and at a push for radio streaming or local music playback during auditing (if it’s school holidays). Even with a mix match of that, I can get back home with around 30-35% of my battery remaining.

Now if using GPS for a large amount of the day, yep a PowerCore 10000 can be a lifesaver for me :smile:

A good powercore hahahah

Hi @joshuad11,

Thanks for your good question!

We appreciate your concern with Anker’s PIQ 2.0 batteries. Sorry for taking some time to reply this as we are confirming the detailed information with our engineer team.

Please kindly be noted that the new iPhone 8/8+/X requires a C-lightning cable and a suitable quick charge adapter to reach the fast charging. But the detailed specifications about the fast charging technology remains unknown to us. Thus we are not certain which kind of fast charging technology of our batteries would be able to offer the max speed for those new iPhones. Currently, we are searching in many ways for a confirmation of those specifications. Once there is a clear result, we would claim clearly on our product listings.

At current situation, we could assume in theory that the PIQ 2.0 batteries should be able to charge the new iPhones as fast as Apple adapters under 12W via an A-lightning cable.

Hope this helps. Should there be further concerns or questions we could address, please feel free to contact us via "support@anker.com".

Best wishes!

1 Like

I will always appreciate your well-thought out, throurough, and helpful responses. Thank you and keep up the great work!

Now that the iPhone 8/8+/X have been announced, though, I would strongly advise removing ‘fast charge for iPhones’ to avoid confusion.

:grinning:

1 Like

1 Like