PowerCore Essential 20000 PD Power Bank Review

I’m united with my 20000 PD, I usually now travel with the 10000 PD Slim, photos of these together for size comparison

Basically not a double in size, a little bigger but a lot heavier.

1 Like

So as you say, charge 2 10000mah in half the time it takes to charge one 20000mah.
Saves half the time withbtwice the bulk.
Its great being here seeing how different people use their gear.
Tonight i will set my PowerCore charging at midnight UK time as i will be home all afternoon Sunday to see when it finishes charging.

2 Likes

Hey all.
After 10hrs of charging using a PowerPort 5 and a USB to USB-C we have a second flashing light.
Not sure how long its been flashing for so time will tell!

2 Likes

Lazy sunday afternoon! :smile:

I am watching no flashing lights Paul. :wink:
Snowflakes are falling!
Have to get out and fetching some wood.
The butts need to kept warm!

1 Like

We are so jealous you have snow!
Today here its 6 degrees an sunny.

1 Like

Really?
I imagine Charlie would like.
Building a snowman.

1 Like

We all love the snow and the chaos it brings.
Its a good time for us all to be big kids :grinning:

1 Like

Not me!
I was born in the Alps.
Dont like snow, got too much when I was young.-

1 Like

Good or bad but we have it in our life is like any other weather

1 Like

Hey @professor I hope you’ve had a great weekend?
So the charging has just complete.
Using a PowerPort 5 and PowerLine II USB to USB - C cable.
20hrs 50min from completely flat to full.

1 Like

Thanks, so Anker true and I’m full of :cow2:

It is surprising they made a 10W 5V 2A 20Ah 72Wh charge so slowly, it should be:

• 85% charge at 2A 5V 10W, so 72x0.85/10=6.12h
  • remaining 15% at 1A 5V 5W (trickle charge) so 72x0.15/5=2.16h
  • 6.12+2.16 = 8.3 hours.

So 20h50m seems really bad. But I’m not that bothered as I’d not use other than 18W PD to recharge this large anyway.

When you do it with 18W.

• 85% at 18W means 72Whx0.85/18 = 3.4hr
  • 15% at say 1A 5V 5W= 2.2hr
  • 3.4+2.2=5.6hr
  • which isn’t too far off what you’d expect given the 6.5hr quoted.
1 Like

I kind of follow your maths there.
And agree, mine will always be charged via a PD port.

It was a worth while experiment but one I won’t be repeating :rofl:

I drained my 20000 PD and now recharging, the fact it is as slow as 6-7 hours makes sense as it is not ingesting at 18W, I tried it with 3 cables and 3 chargers. The 18W charges give 8.75v 1.48A 12.95W, and the 30W charges at 15V 0.87A 11.28W, so ironically the 18W charger looks like it will be faster than 30W charger.

The Thunderbolt 3.1 cable is giving 8.82V 1.45V 12.89W, vs the supplied cable 8.75v 1.48A 12.95W so ironically the better cable works out a 0.5% slower.

I also tried with non-Anker Amazon basics USBC 2 cable only rated for 5V, but it actually performs better than any of my Anker cables, it is 8.88V 1.48A 13.14W so 1.5% faster.

So the maximum irony is the slower charger and cheapest non-Anker cable is performing the best.

I’m leaving it with the fastest combination to recharge and will report back later. I can’t push more than 13W into a “18W” recharge so at 72Wh means a minimum excluding trickle-charge phase of 5.5hr, assuming trickly charge kicks in at 85% then 0.85x72/13=4.7hr until trickle charge then assume say 5W til the end so 0.15x72/5 = 2.16hr for a forecast 4.7+2.16=6.86hr.

EDIT: trickle charge kicked in 5 hours into recharge, 9V 1A, then dropping steadily 9V 0.8A.
EDIT 2: left it and came back to it fully charged, so do not know actual elapsed time but 6-7 hours is believable, it was trickle-charge 6.5hr from empty.

1 Like

Hey @professor I love this kind of experimenting and testing - makes more sense to my ageing brain :laughing:
Well, who would have thought that combination of charger and cable would have worked out better!
So that USB gadget, does it show the details of the charge the PowerCore is taking or whats coming out of the charger?
Ive heard talk of them on the forum but never felt i had a need. But i’m beginning to see where they could be very useful

Anker’s surprise generosity posted to not where I live, I had to wait til I could collect, only had hands-on since Friday and now home with my meter, more cables and chargers, so I spent yesterday using it to drain it, it went flat overnight and now recharging. Output performance testing will be later, I’ll have to do the opposite of yesterday, drain my tablet then recharge it off the recharged 20000 and report on that later.

I am less bothered usually by output than input as a portable charger is by definition with you so you can keep it connected, while recharge of the Powercore is more important as it is tying to a wall charger.

The most demanding of my devices is a large tablet, it drains its battery fast and it really needs 18W to recharge it, I’ll use the meter on that tablet plus this 20000 later, probably this evening.

1 Like

I recharged the 20000 PD then plugged into a 70% charged device, was giving 8.97V 2.06A = 18.48W out.

So its output is as claimed, its input is not 18W, is nearer to 13W, but probably the 6-7hr recharge is about-right against claims but a true 18W recharge would be faster. To say 9V 2A input when its more like 9V 1.5A input is a tad of a stretch.

1 Like

The important question here is… are you gonna share those jelly babies with us?! :thinking::joy:

1 Like

Hell no! :blush:

1 Like