Power port 2 output question

I was doing a test on my power port 2 and hooked both my android device and my ipad air into a meter and then into one port on the wall charger and I got an output of 2.68 amps. The Android alone was .95 and the ipad alone was 1.97.
I thought the max was 2.4 amps? Maybe the max is 4.8 if only using one port. Thoughts?

Is this just IQ Voltageboost sniffing out the devices can ingest more (as you combined them)?

unfortunately I do not own a device that takes a charge at greater than 2 amps so I can’t test that. I have probably confused the charger as each device tells it what it needs but the charger doesn’t know I have paired two up and plugged into one port. I just thought it would only output 2.4 max form one port. I don’t think I will push it and make this common practice unless someone can tell me that it is safe for the charger. :worried:

If I recall correctly, the original 5-port charger had an issue where a port would become permanently disabled if the power draw exceeded 3 amps and tripped the fuse (they later replaced these fuses with a self-resetting circuit breaker). So I would assume each port can max out at 3 amps before the safety circuit kicks in.

1 Like

Depends on how they have output to the 2 ports.

If i read it says 4.8A output, and it has 2 ports. So they may not have put a 2.4A limit on 1 port? Besides with the Voltageboost idea they are allowing to go above the USB limits to force through wire/socket resistance.

1 Like

There is a tear down video of the Powerport 5 you see a fuse per port.

Powerport2: I’m wondering if they deliver the 4.8A to both ports and there is nothing to prevent 1 port going to 4.8A? Or they have a fuse per port but at some level >2.86A <4.8A?

I can’t see a teardown of the Powerport2.

I did this young chap’s review… :slight_smile:

2 Likes

That’s awesome @TechnicallyWell a celebrity. I need to get me a second Drok meter also, if I had one I would not have run into my question. :sweat_smile:

Ha, far from a celebrity! :joy:
I seem to remember a device on Amazon that could test the full capabilities of a USB port, but I unfortunately can’t locate one now.

http://www.arachnidlabs.com/reload-2/

1 Like

Is there a risk you explore the upper current limits and physically fail the unit in a non-warranty way?

Wouldn’t a tear down be more informative?

By the way, does anyone have pizza?

1 Like

A tear down would be nice and if I had a couple extra chargers around I would enjoy doing that. I wish I had a couple devices that would draw enough current to push the limits, that would also be fun but again I don’t have spares lying around and I would miss my Anker if even just for a couple days if something goes :boom:
Can you smell the :pizza: ?