Power for SoundSync Drive

I just bought a SoundSync Drive, and had thought it could draw power from any power source (eg Anker PowerBank), but that isn’t working. Will it only work if it’s plugged into a car’s power (USB port or “cigarette lighter”? My car has no USB port, and if I’m travelling, I use the power connector for a GPS.

Thanks.

Anker Powerdrive series will give you multiple USB charge ports they are available in many different models to suit your USB port needs. From the reviews that I’ve read on Amazon this device is particular with power input it seems to power up fine when you turn on the car with Anker car chargers but the power might need to be unplugged and replugged with other brands car Chargers. If I were you I would go with the three or four port model so you always have an extra port to charge your phone.

1 Like

Also the reason why your power bank won’t power this device is probably because the power draw from the sound sync isn’t High Enough to be “visible” to the power bank when power Banks go below a certain amperage draw they automatically shut off.

2 Likes

Thanks. I don’t have a car charger now (getting one), but I had thought/hoped I wouldn’t need one, since that will use up the auxilliary power connector that I sometimes use for my GPS. I’d hoped I could plug the SoundSync into a Powerdrive and let it provide the power, but it’s looking like it needs car power (USB or charger). Powerdrive is good, but it doesn’t look like it’s powering SoundSync.

That might be; makes sense. I tried plugging into a smaller battery, but got same results.

Oh now I see what your issue is. Try looking at Car Outlet splitters.

May have to do that. Thanks for the suggestion. I’m going to have so many electronics & wires plugged in, I might just have to get a new car with bluetooth & USB!

2 Likes

I would get a splitter with an attached cable so I could tuck as much of the mess as possible away. Or get a car mount and use your phone for GPS and eliminate your stand alone GPS all together. Google Maps is constantly being updated and has traffic flow and speed limits built in.

1 Like

Got it working. I emailed Anker. What wasn’t apparent to me is that I needed to hold down the button on the SoundSync for about 5 seconds to get it to power on. Then I was able to connect - with the power bank, and also another older, smaller battery.

btw, I do sometimes use Google Maps as a quick & easy GPS. I prefer the full one for certain longer trips, with all the extra info I get off a good Garmin GPS, and also when I travel outside the country and might have more limited data available.

Glad to hear, who would have thought that you needed to turn it on?:wink: Just kidding. If I’m remembering correctly with certain USB car chargers will automatically turn it on. Amazon reviews are a great resource of information. I always go there and Search keywords, chances are somebody has had that exact problem before.

I did try searching, but not Amazon reviews. You’re right , they are a good source of answers. As for turning it on, the instructions pointed to the button, and said “turn on”. I repeatedly pressed and tapped the button, top, bottom, centre. Didn’t think of holding for an extended period of time. Don’t have a car charger right now, but will get one and test.

thanks again

No problem bud, Happy to help. You should send a note to Anker to add “hold for 5 seconds” to their instructions. If anybody at Anker is reading this I would be happy to proofread English instructions to ensure they are as clear as useful as possible.

1 Like

I did reply to them thanking them, and mentioning this lack of clarity was the only issue I’d had.