Power Delivery and Quick Charge Compatible Cable - USB 3.1

Is it possible to have a cable with USB 3.1 speeds be compatible with both Power Delivery and Qualcomm’s Quick Charge technology? The only USB-C to USB-C 3.1 cable Anker offers is this one:

And it is not compatible with quick charge.

They have another one that is but it is only 2.0 speeds. Does anyone know if what I’m asking for is even possible. Thanks!

1 Like

Of course. But would you want to?

You can take the specifications of the cable for USB 3.1 and drive any kind of voltage and current you want through it. The higher voltage the more likely you’ll get shorting and so fires, the higher the amps the more loss from heat, potentially melting the cable. The USB-PD goes upto 20V and 5A 100W cable specific.

QC is inferior to USB-PD in that QC is 18W, but USB-PD is 100W, but if you restricted yourself just to the 18W standard then compare and contrast.

So you see USB-PD Profile 2 goes upto 12V and upto 2A, for 18W. So the sort of challenge you have is say a cable rated for USB-PD profile 2 can go to 12V safely but then QC can go to 20V so you can create a situation QC would short USB-PD cable. So then you have to find common denominators, and then you can imagine the negotiation down to common denominators which have to play safe. You’d then find some devices charge less than their maximum as a result.

The challenge you have is confusing everyone, the Frankenstein creation.

We already see this now with the plethora of cables and charging protocols and some devices charge slower with Anker chargers than the supplied. I don’t blame Anker for this.

3 Likes

Correct me if I’m wrong, but my understanding of it was USB-PD has dedicated power lines (normally two pairs) in the cable, where as Quick Charge pushes power down one/some of the data lines.

This is why Quick Charge is deemed as “non compliant” by USB IF.

If a cable is USB PD compliant, it is (likely) more robust and capable than any quick charge only cable.

1 Like