Portable Solar Panel

You could have a dud solar panel.

Crapple caused solar panel electronics to be modified to reset their output to encourage Crapple to charge faster.

So all devices see resets, more so the smaller ones, because the solar panel cannot know why the device isn’t taking all the energy

The more typical problem is the opposite, the solar panel doesn’t reset when using Crapple. So the problem began with Crapple and the better solar panels do a hack to seek to overcome Crapple. So ironically you may be seeing a good solar panel.

The perfect ultimate answer is everything to go to USB-PD future where any voltage and any current is used. Then the solar panel doesn’t need a regulator. So go back to basics of why USB. The cells in phones are around 4V, you lose a bit of voltage in the cable and the port, so if USB we’re 5V you are well balanced for a simple charging DC DC in the phone. Solar output voltage varies is not USB hence that hard small box inside the panel to DC DC regulate to 5V. As sun varies the voltage is kept near 5V and the current varies. Crapple sees the variable current and goes obtuse and moves to trickle charge. So the regulator evolved in solar to frequently reset as it’s current varies, a solar adaption to encourage Crapple to just be less of an idiot.

Your own review of how fast is the recharge shows the hack is working!

1 Like

Just made other tests on the panel during these beautiful sunny days.
The seller sent me another new panel and this also has power outages on both Apple (iOS) and Samsung (Android) devices, just like the previous one. So I think this problem is unsolvable.
Now the question is these power outages will damage the battery of the devices? Yes/No … why?

A feature of this panel is “intelligently detect your devices and deliver the highest possible with Power3S Tech, no worry about overcharging and overloading.” Now I do not know if it’s true or just marketing but this should deny what you told me in the quote.

Last but not least the seller told me that the new 28 W solar panel for sale at the end of October “will have solved the previous problem” So is it safe to use my panel? Just to understand better what I’m talking about I made a video: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BySEow9MPP1iclR4MldUYXpoZkk/view?usp=sharing
Interruzione di corrente” = Power outage

1 Like

I copied this from another site that someone mentioned this happening

"Solar panel output power fluctuations can also cause a phones’ screen to fluctuate on and off. This can happen if you are in motion with the solar panel like walking under trees. The phone sees this as a power drop too. The phone screen will turn off and on in succession which causes power drain. Another words, when the phones’ screen toggles off and on as you are walking under shadows, the power drain happens. A workaround is to use a powerbank. These are not a finicky with shadows.

Charging in twilight hours or deep cloudy conditions may also cause a phone screen to turn on. some chargers have Auto-Retry. Auto-Retry tries to reconnect devices, it has advantages and some disadvantages.The advantages out-weight the disadvantages. Just unplug the solar charger if you suspect that the Sun may not be enough this day.

If your phone overheats, which can happen very quickly under the sun, your phone will slow to a crawl. It is imperative that you shade your phone. Don’t worry, overheating will not cause damage. These phones are designed to sit in a windshield. However, when they get too hot, they will slow down in charge.

Placing your device behind the solar panel is not a shade spot. Do not place your phone underneath the solar panel thinking this is good enough shade. This is very important. The heat underneath the solar panel is like an oven. There is no harm if you do this, but your phone will not charge until it is cooled down. Place your phone in a towel, under a chair, out of the sun."

1 Like