[POLL] What's the most power hungry PD device you own?

• 100W
  • 60W
  • 45W
  • 30W
  • 18W
  • don’t have any PD

0 voters

With the PD 4 100W becoming available and the price drops of PD chargers and portable chargers, I’m curious what’s the most power hungry Power Delivery device you own/use?

In my case it’s 18W Huawei Mediapad M5, which is why I only invested in max 18W chargers.

What device? I’m getting the impression it’s mostly Apple?

3 Likes

Hey @professor
For me it’s the iPad Pro which consumes 30w (according to online specs)
But I think you make a really valid point. People, including me in the past, get carried away with buying the highest output charger available when their tech would only consume a third or quarter of its power.
Don’t get me wrong, it’s good to future proof yourself as you would hope a charger would last many years, but there has to be a point where you should sensibly stop.

1 Like

My Acer R13 Chromebook wants 45W and – unlike many other laptops – does not settle for PD chargers that only deliver 30W.

On the other hand, my work laptop (Dell) wants 60W but it will charge with a 30W charger, although it chargers much slower (and sometimes not at all if I’m heavily using the processor).

I do have to chuckle when someone wants “the absolute fastest charger” and then leaves it plugged in near their nightstand, where speed is not a concern when charging overnight. :smile:

1 Like

I like my Asus Flip C302 two years on. It’ll take a charge at lower speeds but prefers 45w.

1 Like

Chuckle indeed, my fastest chargers are my travel ones to make use of less reliable access to power. Last charger purchase was the dual 18W to recharge my 18W tablet and my 18W Powercore which was my last portable charger purchase to balance the tablet.

When my largest tablet dies I’m getting a Chromebook and it will be PD and will drive up my PD needs, but 18W is all I need right now.

A consistently highly reviewed product, but it was always too expensive for a Chromebook for me. But a Chromebook is my next device purchase.

Yeah they have gone up in price a lot since I bought mine for $400. Whatever model you end up choosing, over the long term my two favorite features are PD and the backlit keyboard.

1 Like

Lenovo laptop needs 45w for charging… use Anker PD chargers for it …

1 Like

I had a work supplied Lenovo tablet with a standard brick charger but it did support and work off 45W PD.

My 18W Huawei tablet has an accidental 18W PD, it is meant to be a proprietary charger but the supplied brick says 9V 2A which is one of the PD modes, and it works.

Interestingly for someone looking to lower cost, this tablet like many will accept 5V 2A. The issue with that method is the Amps, Current, is higher so a longer cable loses energy much more. For a given Wattage, energy loss in the cable is to the square of resistance times Amps, so if you increase voltage to lower current, you disproproportionately benefit on more energy getting to the end. Crudely, resistance is linear on cable length (not totally) so if you stick with 5V rather than 9V you need to use a shorter cable.

Today I was sat some distance from a wall socket and using my 2016 >3 years Powercore 26800 which outputs 5V 2A and my tablet was slowly discharging on that, so I dug out my USB-C meter and saw the input to the tablet was 5V 0.8A, off a 6ft thin Anker cable, so I swapped it for a 2ft cable and I got 5V 1.8A.

So via just plugging a very old charging technology, but just keeping a shorter cable, I could keep a big tablet charged.

I am seeing these 6ft cables and seeing people look at “high speed charging” and not sure they realise these are in opposition. A short cable is its own form of “power delivery”.

1 Like

I got the C434 last year, my first chromebook, very happy with it