Please explain...... Anker Powerhouse 778Wh vs 256Wh. How can the 256Wh be a newer model?

Hi,

I’ve been looking at Anker’s Powerhouse Portable Generators for some time. I want it for general use, in case of outages and emergencies. I wanted one that would be powerful enough to run a APAP/CPAP machine. Today, I came across the Powerhouse 778Wh over on Amazon. I couldn’t help but notice that under the description and whatnot, it said …

which is currently on Lightning Deal. But according to the listing, it’s not recommended for CPAP use? Soooooo, how can it be a newer model of the 778Wh version? Did Amazon goof? Correct me if I’m wrong but isn’t 778Wh more powerful then 256Wh? Please explain. Any recommendations? Thanks everyone. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Wh is a measure of energy.
W is a measure of power.

Energy = Power x Time.

It is quite possible for something to have more power and less energy by delivering stored energy at more power for less time.

The 778Wh seems to have a max of 500W. Meaning if you did drain 500W it would last 778/500 hours. (about 90 minutes).

The 256Wh seems to have a max of 200W so would last 256/200 hours (so about 75 minutes).

As to a recommendation for CPAP or not, this is my opinion. CPAP is primarily for sleeping, to inflate the air passage while it is squished via being horizontal and unconscious, so needs to last 8+ hours so it doesn’t run out of power while asleep. As such you need to look at the CPAP’s power requirements.

From this screenshot you can see their estimate of how many hours a CPAP would operate.

My opinion on this is if you don’t measure you are guessing and for something like a CPAP I’d not guess, I’d seek an owner’s measurements from real use. That 521 256Wh using 40W CPAP is assuming 75% efficiency. That 778Wh is assuming the same 40W. I’d say 75% is a reasonable efficiency so I’d not expect wildly different measured elapsed time for performance.

If it matters for CPAP and if you cannot find a credible independent measurement is simply go for the most Wh as it will last the most h for a given W.

My take of saying not recommended for CPAP was it was < 8 hours and you’d be probably asleep when it ran out. That is not “power” (Energy/Time) but just energy (Power x Time) but more related to Energy / Time = Hours.

So for a CPAP context you’d want the highest Wh number (highest number of hours of CPAP usage, being at least 8 hours). But for other contexts, non-CPAP, power outages in general, I’d give a guarded comment that technology can fail and given these prices are roughly simple $ / Wh is two independent stores of energy is better than one larger store of energy as there’s less chance two or three independent things all fail than one thing fails. i.e. more quantity is more reliable. I don’t need AC power for an outage, and I just have multiple Powercore for this reason, I store then deliberately around the house and one in the car, as during an outage, or an emergency, you cannot be assured of your route out being via collecting something this big, heavy and not waterproof.

3 Likes

Thanks @professor for the explanation. I kind of figured that would be the jest of it. But just wanted confirmation. Soooo… did Amazon goof on stating that the 256Wh was an upgrade/newer version? And yes, I agree with you about having multiple powerbanks. My hubby and I have many, all over. We lost count of how many Anker powerbanks we own. Lol. I was just curious as to a powerhouse for CPAP use. Again, thanks for chiming in.

I think it is a goof. Both listing start off the same text and their algorithm may have seen the same text and the date of listing and just stated it as a newer model.

It is like the listing where they show people who bought this item also bought this other item.

I recently been eyeing the soundcore frames and notice them saying that folks that bought the frames bought q35 as well. I would think additional frames and a second charging cable.

1 Like

@Duane_Lester Hi. Thanks for chiming in. I figured it was something to do with their algorithm. I am already confused with Anker’s way of naming their products, especially is you’re trying to compare older with newer items. Therefore, I would assume that some people like myself, would be more confused seeing it say that there is a newer model when in fact, it isn’t.

Same here… then they upgrade an old item like a speaker and then you got two versions and they do not work with each other pairing. Or they put out the same devices with different names

2 Likes