Place Your Bets: Will iPhone 8 Succeed?

UK example:

3GB is 12UKP ~ $20 CDN/month.

UK OnePlus5 (higher due to UK salestax 20%)

449ukp = $734 CDN.

So in UK example depreciating the phone across 24 hours is $734/24 CDN = $30.58 CDN / month and the UK SIM only $20/month = $50.58. So you paying $95/month is approaching double the UK cost and you pay a little extra $99 to buy handset.

In USA (where I am currently) it is $479 US ~ $602 CDN and I get 10GB/month at average of $30 USD/month ~ $38CDN/month, so the same calculation is $602/24+$38 = $63CDN for 10GB vs your $95 for 3GB.

So in this example the lowest cost country is UK then USA then CDN.

3 Likes

I want true wireless charging, not a pad I set it on. I also want a laser projector function so I can project a video on the wall. Perhaps a dock that I could set it in and use as a console for gaming as well. Also let’s add an X-ray and FLIR function as well. And last but not least an Anker charging case for it when I’m away from my wireless charging area. :sunglasses::grimacing:

2 Likes

Radiation diminishes to the square of distance, that is why proximity matters.

Induction is from electromagnetics so it obeys inverse square law.

Now you could shape the radiation to some degree via parabolic dish, it still obeys the inverse square law but uses a greater proportion of the original energy from one side and directs to the other side.

I expect incremental improvements as it is tweaked

http://www.npr.org/sections/alltechconsidered/2017/07/21/538531750/a-future-of-gadgets-without-power-cords-not-so-fast

Laser projector for a wall requires a lot of energy output and that produces heat. The amount of light reflected back at you is a fraction of what is sent out (think: if you look at a reflected image it does not blind you but if you look at the projector light it does blind you) It would make more sense to project directly into the eye as then it takes far less energy.

Given Apple is a follower not a leader, following Android in particular a year or so behind, I expect to now eventually add wireless charging, and that is also a rumor.

I’m wondering if they tweak it so you need a special charger only from Apple… you know to make it proprietary expensive. That is also hinted at

3 Likes

Not a big fan of iPhone but of course it will because its become a cult more than anything

5 Likes

Of course, no matter which is the price, people will pay for it.

3 Likes

if you got a iPhone 6 or higher I don’t know why you would want to spend that kind of money on a phone

4 Likes

Agree. They claim their phones are so great. Why would we need to upgrade every 2 years?

1 Like

Definately a success.

Apple has a much better UI than any other competitor in the market and the touch sensor on the screen is out of competition.

2 Likes

Subjective plus folks get used to what they know so its habit.

What benchmark?

1 Like

He’s talking about Touch ID… that’s if it even happens.

1 Like

I am talking about iphone as an entire product, say for example the ios version, atleast apple phones can be updated with newer ios versions(predecessor) in comparison to its competitors. Eg. samsung predecessor are still having older android versions and not the latest version of android.

1 Like

Which Samsung? last years, 5 years ago?

I see you are passionate about apple and that’s great but you should do your homework on android before commenting about updates. I have had several version of Android software updates over 3 years before the support stopped. I am curious as to why this is important anyway with a new phone released every 2 years. I use apple for work and hate the UI . I find it so much harder to do anything because I can’t fully customize it the way I like it. It kind of reminds me of windows 3.1

1 Like

@bobbleheaderman good U like customization…But as U said apple reminds you of Windows 3.1, guess you are searching for a computer on a smartphone. Its good to have functionality on a smartphone. Samsung does offer way too much functionality. Guess, its just the matter of perspective!!

Well said but you can only go far with facts and logic.

2 Likes

Absolutely or I would still be using this beauty,

Best “phone” that wasn’t “smart” that I have ever owned.
P.S I don’t own a Samsung

People will still buy it since it’s a iPhone but some will just stick with what they have until it breaks. With the price of the phone rumor to be so expensive I bet a lot of consumer is going to wait for promotions before jumping in.

Personally I am a fan of Apple. I think it all comes down to what new features or upgrades they include. If they add a considerably longer battery life and/or a crack resistant screen then I think they will have at least some success. If they add that and other stuff that I can’t think of off the top of my head I think it would definitely succeed. But as some other guy in the comments said that price is a big factor. Either way I know my grandparents will get it regardless so I’ll know soon enough.

All these Android vs iOS debates give me a headache. Can’t people just accept each has their pros & cons, and not everyone will share their own view?

At the end of the day, unless you’re in the market for your first smart phone, you have most probably already invested in your allegiance and unless DRM is scrapped, the thought of throwing away any money spent on music and apps means you’ll not be planning on changing.

I’m on my 4th iPhone and will soon be my fifth, I don’t see any reason why it won’t be followed by a sixth, seventh and countless more after that. I like how consistent and stable the OS is, I like how easy it is to find what I am looking for on the app store, I like that it just ‘works’ out of the box. I got a free android samsung tab a few years ago from my TV provider, I used it for a few days, didn’t like. It’s been sat in a drawer ever since.

But each to their own, I’m not going to try and convince anyone to ditch Android and go to Apple, just as I wouldn’t expect a stranger to try and convince me I should go to Android

4 Likes

Thanks for sharing your own view, HAHA :joy:

1 Like

hooray for both phones.

apple will succeed because its apple and apple is apple and the iphone is an iphone from apple.

2 Likes