Owners of old iPhones and iPads MUST update their software by midnight on Saturday

This is some code issue on iOS which along with GPS time rollover issuevimpacts accurate GPS location and to continue to use functions that rely on correct date and time including App Store, iCloud, email, and web browsing.

If the machine time is not right most sites do not work, example Gmail.

Apple should have given a heads up at least 6 months in advance ( not sure if they did)

My old Ipad and Iphone can not be updated anyway. :rofl::rofl:

That’s more based on things that are dependent on the time being correct. Since the phone uses GPS to sync time, apps that rely on accurate time will fail

The web fails since most sites now use SSL and time is critical for ssl certificate authentication. Change the time on your computer to be way off, and a lot of SSL sites will fail due to that being a problem. But if a site is only HTTP it will work fine.

Email will work but again likely the time at which your emails look like will be off. So likely ‘when’ your emails get sorted and get snet out will likely be screwed up. This is teh sam with calendar. the problem isnt that the calendar app magically breaks. its that since it relies on time to actually tell what day it is, it will ‘functionally’ be broken

As I noted previously, this is more or less an across the baord issue with older GPS chipsets. Most older device manufacturers have given up bothering to deal with 5-7 year old devices (most android phones you could barely convicnce cell providers to upgrade to the latest android version)

Its only a problem for apple, since its apparently the only one that cares about an iPhone 5C working in 2019. Tomtom has various old devices that will kick the bucket. Heck my old tomtom probably is one of them. But im sure not going to bother dusting that off to download some firmware.

Apple has been notifying older 32-bit devices for like months about this

Its only ‘news’ now because the deadline is approaching not for a lack of notification.

This was also part of the news cycle back in April when the first ‘rollover’ basically broke stuff. It wasnt really widely reported since basically it only applied to ancient devices that by and large no one is using anymore so it was mostly a ‘non event’ from a reporting perpective.

1 Like

Good to know, thanks :ok_hand:

Just putting my neck out here guys.
Can’t they fix the GPS nonsense that’s causing all this grief?..

I guess the benefits are so slim, the OEM’s do not even bother doing that. However, they did release OS update to temporarily correct this problem.

1 Like

I was thinking more correcting this week number rollover in the GPS.
The last rollover had limited impact as most people wouldn’t have had GPS devices but as things are integrating more with GPS this problem is only going to get worse - fix the cause?
But saying that, in 20yrs will I be to old to care?
Maybe see you all back here in 20yrs! :smiley:

It’s mostly been fixed now by adding more bits to how the GPS Tracks time. Though this is more “kicking it down the curb” as it’ll be like an issue in like 50 years

1 Like

I can confirm that my iPhone 4S runing iOS 8.4.1 has correctly updated the time after DST ended
It is connected to internet and has no other issues at all…
Looks like the issue was overblown

Lol Apple probably pushed the patch while you were sleeping, without your consent.