OnePlus 6

My OP6 being shipped from Hong Kong via DHL. I could have it tomorrow but I’m busy so asked DHL to delay.

I just spent a busy day with lots of movement off grid and I was with OP3T and a Powercore II 6700, Soundbuds Slim+, Powerport2, Powerline.

It all worked ok but for having to press the Powercore power button to keep the buds charging.

Phone, battery, buds. That needs to work better.

1 Like

Where are you going? Four months traveling, It’s quite a long time.:grinning:

1 Like

I ordered Xiaomi Redmi Note 5 because of huge battery. Seen some reviews online and they say they can get 8-10 hours screen on time. I’m not really into flagships anymore these days. Not much they can do better than your regular phone. They do make better photos with their cameras though but I can’t really have a phone that I need to charge in afternoon each day.

3 Likes

Nothing wrong with the notch. In fact, I think it’s a bonus provided that there are ways to disable the notch when not using an App (e.g., playing Clash Royale). Apps could utilize the notch to their advantage if they wanted to (e.g., adding a few customizable buttons).

1 Like

Phone delivered in my hands last hour.

Unlock bootloader and root next to fix those annoying ads.

(magisk, xposed, adaway, minminguard)

256GB of storage, why would anyone want that? It is good “value” in its $100 more for 4x the storage but…why…? What on earth would anyone in a small device like a phone do with that?

1 Like

:grinning: :heart_eyes: :astonished: :gift:
#Exciting!

1 Like

WiFi connection much better. I predicted that from fact it’s ceramic vs metal. So instead of metal with external antenna it’s ceramic without need for external antenna.

3 Likes

By the way, it’s @$500 with student discount.

1 Like

How is your traveling going?

1 Like

Even better after a nice power draw win I bet :tongue:

2 Likes

Busy. Just had like 24 hours sleep after too many busy days. Seems I won a Powercore II 10000 (again) so I’m giving it away (again).

2 Likes

The OnePlus is a great phone. However, I will NEVER even consider it because I live in a rural area with only Band 13 Verizon LTE. For some reason they decided it would be a good idea not to include it!

1 Like

Where?

Are you saying with Verizon in your area there is only LTE if you have band 13

Or are you saying there is only Verizon.

In my case I do not use Verizon because it is significantly more expensive than the alternatives, but if I were in a place which only had Verizon then yes I’d get a Verizon optimized phone.

2 Likes

I am saying that in my location there is only Verizon service, and the service which Verizon has is only Band 13, thus the OnePlus’s lack of Band 13 and the phone’s inability to be operated on Verizon makes what would be a good choice for most completely not an option for me.

Rural America.

Edit:

I NEED to use Verizon because I have two choices. US Cellular that simply DOES NOT WORK (microwave back-haul from the non-internet days of cellular, data speeds on LTE under 200kbps at 3AM, basically no data during the day) or I can use Verizon which works good. Band four is on one tower in our area. All of the other towers that are owned by SBA or American Tower have one carrier on them, Verizon. Band 13 only. All fiber backhaul so speeds are really decent for 700MHz (15-35 mbps). T-Mobile service is about 20 miles away as the crow flies, and is uber congested because people don’t want to pay for Verizon. Basically useless and no 600MHz so it doesn’t work if a peice of cardboard is held in front of it. Meanwhile Verizon is beast in that location.

Sprint is completely non-existent and I am not joking. Absolutely nothing. Not even skip signals.

AT&T coverage is just gross. Can’t even call out.

So we have US Cellular which has coverage but doesn’t work for anything but a call or SMS (which is insanely delayed) and completely microwave fed by microwave repeaters that are about ready to fall down, or we can use fiber fed Verizon. Due to lack of proper landline or DSL services (Frontier abandoned us, DSLAMs break and they just ignore it) most people are Verizon Wireless only and use Unlimited 600kbps hotspots for their whole home network. We get by with a hybrid of that and the Frontier DSL, but with Frontier going bankrupt soon we will sadly completely rely on Verizon Wireless for absolutely everything in the entire neighborhood.

People may say Verizon is expensive and evil, but for us they truly saved us from a nightmare. The Verizon N.R.B. is constantly monitoring our general area and can deploy and repair a cell tower faster than any landline service can be recovered. We rely on them, they rely on us. It’s a relationship that couldn’t be stronger. Where I live, Verizon is seen as a very positive figure. The only company that wouldn’t leave us in the dust. The only one that cared enough to enter a market they cannot make money on. We are grateful.

I just hope that it doesn’t go south, because then we will officially be done.

1 Like

Hi I’m now day 3 of roughly 3 weeks off-grid.

I am traveling on bike with camping kit and

• Oneplus6
  • Lenovo Tab 4 8 Plus
  • Anker Soundbuds Life
  • Anker Powerport2 UK model
  • Anker Solar Panel 21W version
  • Anker Powercore 10000
  • various Anker cables

I am currently holed up in a field in North Yorkshire, England. It is raining so I’m sitting still til it stops raining.

I did a 4 day off-grid test in July and solar worked really well as it was sunny then, but not the last 24 hours as dull. I watched last night downloaded media on my tablet with the 10000 attached. I woke to a half charged 10000 which is too much drain to last between sunny days, so I’m going tonight let tablet drain to flat and then use the Oneplus6 and keep it charged. Hopefully sun tomorrow to recharge 10000

3 Likes

Looks like it could be mostly cloudy til Wednesday

Thanks for the update and hope your traveling is going well. If your inclined you can always watch movies or shows on your oneplus as its battery life is much better and doesn’t drain as fast.

1 Like

Thanks.

It’s pouring it down so in my tent warm and snug. Yes watching downloaded media on phone. If I were to have packed differently I’d have not bothered with tablet, just phone and two Powercore. I had lunch in a pub, used the wall socket and my Powercore 1000 moved from 2 lights to 3 lights, so if I’d packed 2 PowercoreIl 6700 instead I’d have ingested wall power twice the speed.

Sunny tomorrow so will be making good use of solar panel.

3 Likes

I like my OnePlus 6 so far. Have been using it as a daily driver for a week and a half now. I got the red edition while it’s still available. I constantly get remarks about how good the back of it looks (using a Ringke clear case with it). Also how the notch behaves is configurable (you can turn off apps access to it, and only display notification icons around it if you want, that’s how mine is setup).

Other things to note is that the camera is almost iPhone X quality, better in some scenarios. And the battery life is a little lacking (not as much as the iPhone X in my experience though). But hey, that’s were Anker charging products come in handy! Topping off throughout the day when needed.

Quite literally the only headache that I have with it now is that I no longer have a use for the MicroUSB cables I keep in my desk drawer at work, in my car, and in my laptop bag. Good news is I just ordered 4 Anker USB-C cables to replace them!

Pic I took with it, pre-upgrade photo of a customer’s computer (which is getting an SSD drive and new power supply).

Even after Google Photos reduced the quality a bit, you can almost read the small print on the hard drive label.

2 Likes

That’s a pretty cool journey, keep us updated! :grin:

1 Like