OnePlus 6

I have owned / used the OnePlusOne, OP2, OP3T, OPX. I have also owned Nexus 4, Nexus 5, Moto G4 Play.

This last week I put LineageOS 15.1 on my MG4P and on a 2013 Nexus 7. Because I can.

In total across everything I have a 2016 Moto G4 Play with LineagOS 15.1, OnePlus 3T with stock, Nexus 7 2013 with 8.1, Lenovo Tab 4 8 Plus, Nexus 10 on Pure Nexus 7.1.1, Google Pixel C on 8.1, Chromebook, and Windows 10 laptop. And some Raspberry Pi clones on Debian.

Conclusion?

I am conflicted. I can spend a day with a $99 2016 Moto G4 Play and it works well enough. So you can be OK with older cheaper tech. I have a 4 year old 7" tablet with current shipping Android and it works quite well too.

I have cracked open and repaired Nexus 7 and Nexus 10 and got a decent 4 years life.

The biggest problem I have with the newer OnePlus is the creeping increasing price. I am not clear the extra money does actually make a sufficiently better product. What I think is happening is OnePlus copying Apple’s hype bubble of milking a brand.

1 Like

It really depends on your model. The process consists of rooting your phone (for some phones there are on click apps or PC apps ,for some phones you will have to use ADB ,some commands in command prompt on Windows for example). You also have to unlock bootloader on newer phones. The next step is installing custom recovery which gives you ability to flash new ROMs , backup your current ROM and a lot of other things.

LineageOS would be a great start to try out AOSP. Here’s an example of one tutorial how to install it:
MOTO g4 LOS instructions

It’s good to go with LOS because they have tutorials on their wiki for each phone they officially support. They also get like weekly updates. If you’re not confident enough about doing it just by that text tutorial you can always find more material on Youtube(be sure to check comments to see if it works the way person is presenting it) or you can go to XDA (it’s like biggest Android message board for ROMs etc.)

It all might seem overwhelming at first but after doing it once it’s a piece of cake.

So I ordered one today. :confused:

Reasons:

• my current phone OnePlus 3T does not work too well when travelling, it dates back to when a USA vs non-USA model, there has since been a single global phone.
  • errmm that is the only reason. Well possibly it is a better camera. (**)

The prices are odd, its $529 for 6GB 64GB, $579 for 6GB 128GB, $629 for 8GB 256GB, so seeing as it was $100 more for 192GB more I just ordered the 256GB model. I have no clue what I could possibly use 256GB for! (**)

I am entering 4 month period of a lot of traveling, so the OP6 with probably be with a Powercore II 6700 and probably an Anker Solar panel. Next month I am cleaning my tent for a long off-grid event later.

(*) I have 160GB of downloaded media as a start.
(**) I will be taking a lot of photos so storage + better camera.

2 Likes

Exciting times! Please let us know what you think after you’ve used the phone for a while whenever you have time to sit down and type, but sounds like you’re going to be quite busy.

Do you know when this event will take place? I wonder if it will be after PowerHouse 200 launches…

My OP6 being shipped from Hong Kong via DHL. I could have it tomorrow but I’m busy so asked DHL to delay.

I just spent a busy day with lots of movement off grid and I was with OP3T and a Powercore II 6700, Soundbuds Slim+, Powerport2, Powerline.

It all worked ok but for having to press the Powercore power button to keep the buds charging.

Phone, battery, buds. That needs to work better.

1 Like

Where are you going? Four months traveling, It’s quite a long time.:grinning:

1 Like

I ordered Xiaomi Redmi Note 5 because of huge battery. Seen some reviews online and they say they can get 8-10 hours screen on time. I’m not really into flagships anymore these days. Not much they can do better than your regular phone. They do make better photos with their cameras though but I can’t really have a phone that I need to charge in afternoon each day.

3 Likes

Nothing wrong with the notch. In fact, I think it’s a bonus provided that there are ways to disable the notch when not using an App (e.g., playing Clash Royale). Apps could utilize the notch to their advantage if they wanted to (e.g., adding a few customizable buttons).

1 Like

Phone delivered in my hands last hour.

Unlock bootloader and root next to fix those annoying ads.

(magisk, xposed, adaway, minminguard)

256GB of storage, why would anyone want that? It is good “value” in its $100 more for 4x the storage but…why…? What on earth would anyone in a small device like a phone do with that?

1 Like

:grinning: :heart_eyes: :astonished: :gift:
#Exciting!

1 Like

WiFi connection much better. I predicted that from fact it’s ceramic vs metal. So instead of metal with external antenna it’s ceramic without need for external antenna.

3 Likes

By the way, it’s @$500 with student discount.

1 Like

How is your traveling going?

1 Like

Even better after a nice power draw win I bet :tongue:

2 Likes

Busy. Just had like 24 hours sleep after too many busy days. Seems I won a Powercore II 10000 (again) so I’m giving it away (again).

2 Likes

The OnePlus is a great phone. However, I will NEVER even consider it because I live in a rural area with only Band 13 Verizon LTE. For some reason they decided it would be a good idea not to include it!

1 Like

Where?

Are you saying with Verizon in your area there is only LTE if you have band 13

Or are you saying there is only Verizon.

In my case I do not use Verizon because it is significantly more expensive than the alternatives, but if I were in a place which only had Verizon then yes I’d get a Verizon optimized phone.

2 Likes

I am saying that in my location there is only Verizon service, and the service which Verizon has is only Band 13, thus the OnePlus’s lack of Band 13 and the phone’s inability to be operated on Verizon makes what would be a good choice for most completely not an option for me.

Rural America.

Edit:

I NEED to use Verizon because I have two choices. US Cellular that simply DOES NOT WORK (microwave back-haul from the non-internet days of cellular, data speeds on LTE under 200kbps at 3AM, basically no data during the day) or I can use Verizon which works good. Band four is on one tower in our area. All of the other towers that are owned by SBA or American Tower have one carrier on them, Verizon. Band 13 only. All fiber backhaul so speeds are really decent for 700MHz (15-35 mbps). T-Mobile service is about 20 miles away as the crow flies, and is uber congested because people don’t want to pay for Verizon. Basically useless and no 600MHz so it doesn’t work if a peice of cardboard is held in front of it. Meanwhile Verizon is beast in that location.

Sprint is completely non-existent and I am not joking. Absolutely nothing. Not even skip signals.

AT&T coverage is just gross. Can’t even call out.

So we have US Cellular which has coverage but doesn’t work for anything but a call or SMS (which is insanely delayed) and completely microwave fed by microwave repeaters that are about ready to fall down, or we can use fiber fed Verizon. Due to lack of proper landline or DSL services (Frontier abandoned us, DSLAMs break and they just ignore it) most people are Verizon Wireless only and use Unlimited 600kbps hotspots for their whole home network. We get by with a hybrid of that and the Frontier DSL, but with Frontier going bankrupt soon we will sadly completely rely on Verizon Wireless for absolutely everything in the entire neighborhood.

People may say Verizon is expensive and evil, but for us they truly saved us from a nightmare. The Verizon N.R.B. is constantly monitoring our general area and can deploy and repair a cell tower faster than any landline service can be recovered. We rely on them, they rely on us. It’s a relationship that couldn’t be stronger. Where I live, Verizon is seen as a very positive figure. The only company that wouldn’t leave us in the dust. The only one that cared enough to enter a market they cannot make money on. We are grateful.

I just hope that it doesn’t go south, because then we will officially be done.

1 Like

Hi I’m now day 3 of roughly 3 weeks off-grid.

I am traveling on bike with camping kit and

• Oneplus6
  • Lenovo Tab 4 8 Plus
  • Anker Soundbuds Life
  • Anker Powerport2 UK model
  • Anker Solar Panel 21W version
  • Anker Powercore 10000
  • various Anker cables

I am currently holed up in a field in North Yorkshire, England. It is raining so I’m sitting still til it stops raining.

I did a 4 day off-grid test in July and solar worked really well as it was sunny then, but not the last 24 hours as dull. I watched last night downloaded media on my tablet with the 10000 attached. I woke to a half charged 10000 which is too much drain to last between sunny days, so I’m going tonight let tablet drain to flat and then use the Oneplus6 and keep it charged. Hopefully sun tomorrow to recharge 10000

3 Likes

Looks like it could be mostly cloudy til Wednesday