OnePlus 5

No its 3.4mm wider of a phone already too wide.

I had a Oneplus 2 which was wider than the OneplusOne and I moved to the Oneplus3T (3 and 3T same physical size, 3T had bigger battery).

(source)

(source)

Lost the plot phone designer. It’s a phone. You hold it in one hand. If it is 2 hands then might as well get a tablet.

My other phone is a Moto G4 Play for $99 with removable battery and SD slot, what it suffers from is RAM, CPU, LTE bands, which impacts performance. There is a gap in the market.

1 Like

iPhone X is smaller than all :joy:

I always keep phones in cases. The OPO had a full wrap-around case which made it bigger. The OP2 had an intelligent idea of remove back panel and add a case which helped its size but still caused it to be wide. The OP3T (my current phone) had a metal frame and needed scuff protection, but since the OP3T the OP5 is bigger, OP5T bigger in the same metal frame concept so it is 3.4mm wider. In a one-handed mode your thumb has to stretch double the width to hold the phone and touch the far edge so its 6.8mm further to reach. 6.8mm is enough to change from just about able to touch the other side to impossible.

What I thought would happen is the bezel-less leaks was just more screen but no its just bigger. The laziest design change is when you add by making it bigger, any idiot can do that.

1 Like

Well seems dash charge is still superior. Has it gotten better? Or is this even comparing it to the quick chargers for all the other devices shown?

1 Like

DASH hasn’t got better, no. But it is still in my view an excellent technology, I wish how it works was an open standard, USB-PD could certainly be used instead with some smarts.

Also it is a little unfair here because:

• the test had the screens on all the time. The DASH approach does the DC-DC conversion in the charger, so as the battery inside the OnePlus increases its voltage (from 3.7V to 4.2V typically), the DASH charger does exactly that. So there is no DC-DC conversion inside the phone. This keeps the phone cooler so it can recharger faster. The other technologies do not this so there is some DC-DC in the phone and if the phone is in use that heat from use competes with charging heat and the phone protects itself by charging slower. SO in the video this is showing the phone screens on which makes the DASH charging show maximum relative gain

Compare “inactive” vs “active” and see how DASH jumps ahead best in active

• DASH is only from OnePlus (using same tech as OPPO) meaning you must use their charger with their cable or accept 10W with all the thermal throttling problems. This proprietary is very annoying when you’ve got other than the OnePlus like some buds or a Powercore, where you’d like a Powerport which does it all.

Personally I use the DASH at home and Powerport and Powercore on the road, on the road I know I’m about to enter a period of use of the phone no-wall-socket so I just plug in Powercore proactively and then when stopped moving I have a fully charged OnePlus and recharge the Powercore next wall-socket-opportunity. It works.

2 Likes

About 3-4 months til the OnePlus 6.

What you think?

I fear the price. My OnePlus 3T is beginning to show battery aging.

A big nope from me, any phone that copies that stupid notch without a proper reason to have it is a failure to me. The iPhone uses facial recognition in that notch so it has a purpose, what’s everyone else’s excuse?
I see people surprised samsung didn’t go with a notch…uh hello people that’s because samsung had their infinity display before the iPhone came out. Still again another phone I won’t get because another’s you mentioned they are all getting too expensive

You can get a lot of phone for not much $

e.g. got this email today

1 Like

So in the near future I see a lot of smartphones with virtually no bezels as all the cameras and sensors will be under the display.

I think that 2018 is going to be a great year for smartphones. I’m due for an upgrade in October/November, and I’m excited what I will see when that time comes. I may end up buying out what I owe on the phone a bit early to coincide with a fresh release if something truly excited me.

What phone do you have now?

I think in 2018 we should see more 120Hz displays and lower prices across the board. We’ll probably also see more phones with cameras that have adjustable apertures following the S9 and more widespread super slo mo video too.

I think Pixel 3 will probably be mainstream with more carriers, and hopefully it won’t have the issues of Pixel 2 (mainly display). Wireless charging hopefully will make a comeback. Not sure how I feel about the current design.

I am currently using a OnePlus 3T. And it’s aging at this point. I have my sights set on the Pixel 3 XL atm.

If the pixel goes with a better display j would be surprised. They had a contract agreement with LG for their PLOED screens aND that was the biggest issue as LG was not ready to mass produce these screens and are now trying to make up for it with apples investment into these type of screens./

That is not a given.

It will only happen if the masses shun the higher prices. Prices are driven up by people paying higher prices, making huge profits, affirming designer’s opinions they can sell premiums. Prices are driven down by high-end phones left unsold, sold at deep discounts, and the geek in the corner confirmed correct that the designer was wrong.

Shun high prices is how you lower prices.

2 Likes

So what do you think will actually happen?

I heard the OnePlus phones are really good. Its crazy how similar the phone builds are to each other. Especially with the big price differences. If I didn’t get my iPhone 8+ for free, I would’ve had the S8+ definitely. What do you think of the S9 that is now on Pre-order?

OnePlus 6 rumors/leaks support the idea of a notch (similar to iPhone X) and a price around $500 (not similar to iPhone X).

$500 for a phone is silly.

Might just move to used phones and a screwdriver.

1 Like

although I too am concerned about telecommunication security and big brother intruding our lives. I am still ambitious to see how huawei root itself in the us market. I was really impressed by the built qualities and look forward to owning one once they are released in USA

The meer act of having a phone which is powered on means many entities know a lot about you. It would be almost impossible to be in a place or meet someone without a computer somewhere knowing where you were and who you met. For example two people with the Facebook app installed who got near to each other for more than minute would cause Facebook to suggest you to each other as friends. On Android there is a location history built into the mapping. Facial recognition technology is now fast enough to be running in the background on your phone, having been only relatively recently only viable to be used on performance servers.

The only secure device is one powered off.