New Wall Chargers and Cables!

Now that the Holidays are coming to an end and the hefty discounts are slowing down, Anker is probably focusing more on getting new products out to the market. They are also likely preparing a couple of presentations for CES 2018.

Regardless, a couple new Anker products have appeared on Amazon in the past couple days.

First, we have a new QC 3.0 1 port wall charger.

Amazon link: https://amazon.com/dp/B076T4HTQV

Next up is a new cable from Anker. This is not branded under PowerLine at all. Instead, Anker is simply calling this the USB-C to USB-C Thunderbolt 3.0 Cable. It can provide up to 40Gbps data transfer speeds and 100W Power Delivery. The cable comes with an 18-month warranty. It’ll be very interesting to see what this ends up being priced at.

Amazon link: https://amazon.com/dp/B076D76DRQ

Finally, in the Amazon listing of the cable above, we can see yet another new Anker product.

In the upper left corner, you can see a wall charger. It looks very similar to the recently released PowerPort II 2 Ports, but appears to be drastically larger. It has one Power Delivery USB-C port and one USB-A port. From the looks of it, I would say that it is not PowerIQ 2.0, but that’s just my guess.

I wonder if the wall charger is capable of 100W through the PD port!!! @AnkerOfficial?!

I have not yet been able to obtain an Amazon listing for this product, but will surely update you when I do, so stay tuned!

What do you think of all these new products? I think they all seem cool; let’s just hope they aren’t too expensive upon release.

11 Likes

Those look nice. I wouldn’t mind having one of those cables for my new portable hard drive. You can connect via USB-C or by regular USB 3.0

Well spotted! It will be interesting to see how long we have to wait for the new and updated wall charger.

Hopefully it is PowerIQ 2.0 but we shall wait and see!

2 Likes

I’m digging them switching from the standard usb c branding to the proper thunderbolt connection name…making sure to list it as 3.0 because the earlier versions had a different connector.

I would love to be able to use one of these for my hard drive like @Element321 mentioned. Faster data speeds mean less time waiting for file transfers

2 Likes

If the USB-PD wall charger is going to be have to be so physically large, missed opportunity to make it:

• two USB-PD ports who compete (e.g. 1 port used = 100W output, 2 ports used = 50W each output)
  • two USBA ports who are say 10W max and also compete with the total 100W budget

So you’re carrying 100W capability and its up to the devices to compete and get what they need, e.g. if your laptop was 100W capable once it got to 80% recharged it would go into trickle mode and take 50W, so if you have that situation with say a USB-PD powerbank and the powerbank could ingest at say 60W, you’d have 160W demand so the charger gives 50W each to the laptop and the powerbank til one of them got to 80% recharged and then reduce demand and other device can get more.

That is how I see to get the most value for a given Wattage budget.

1 Like

Update: The cable is $30 and the wall charger has dropped to $16.

Would like the cable to be 5-10 cheaper.

1 Like

Thanks for sharing the information! :grin:

Nice! This is exciting news.

Why do you think Anker makes QC3 chargers but not IQ2 chargers?

They make IQ2 powerbanks.

Currently I do not have IQ2 powerbanks because I don’t have IQ2 chargers because I don’t have QC devices.

I think they will make IQ2 chargers. To my knowledge, they have not released any QC wall chargers since the launch of IQ2.

Anker seems generally S L O W to roll out new technology.

1 Like

Thunderbolt 3.0 Cable

$24 with code ANKER486 applied at checkout.

https://amazon.com/dp/B076D76DRQ

So far there is only a hint of a IQ2 charger in the 1PD 1 IQ2 Powerport2. Did you spot any others?

No, I haven’t seen any. At the same time, I think the window of opportunity for IQ2 chargers is actually smaller than I originally thought. Once PD is widespread, I think IQ2 will be obsolete. Bet Anker focuses mostly on PD from here on out.

How about you?

So my next purchase, when one of the trackers alerts of price drop, is a 13" Chromebook, I’m going with USB-PD and cross my fingers it works with the USB-PD charger I have unopened. The one after that before September is a phone which has global-LTE and I’d like USB-PD if they exist. Possibly OnePlus6 unless their price increase trend continues.

So then if my phone is USB-PD then I’d like a USB-C to USB-C cable and then ideally a triple USB-PD to charge phone+tablet+battery. If by then still Anker is making (dumb) Micro-B only headsets then I’d need a legacy Type A port on it. That’s where i see end of 2018, but I thought that would be end 2017 but too many scare stories so I parked on USB-C but 10W-15W as cheaper.

QC4 is a superset of PD so I can see PD being the common standard and tweaked slightly better versions on QC devices. As such, yes, IQ2 is looking to become redundant.

1 Like

What tracker alert are you using?

So I used slickdeals to search by product name and use camel to keep an eye on Amazon. Register with them to email you alerts.

2 Likes

@nigelhealy Thanks. I had an app awhile back that stopped working…forgot the name but it was a plugin for Safari. Worked great. I was bummed that developer ditched it when new OS came out.