New Power Bank!

@nigelhealy I agree with you about the hotel situation. What I’ve experienced is that hotels like to limit the amount of outlets available. It’s bad enough that you have to hunt around for an open outlet but when you do find one, it’s always behind the bed or something BUT only one spot open. That leads me to gripe number 2… how the heck am I going to plug something like the Fusion in a cramped space? So, I’ve had to charge my electronics in the bathroom by the sink. Which, I’m not too keen on, especially when I want to use my iPhone as an alarm clock. Therefore, I’ve been saved so many times by just either using my slew of Anker power banks or the Anker Powerport 5 when I could find an available outlet.

On a side note, I just purchased the PowerCore 10000 and loving it. I toss it in my backpack to power up my GoPros, iPhone, and whatever else needs charging. The Fusion looks a lot like it and would be great but I would of liked to see at least a 10000mAh version. Thanks Anker for another great power bank :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Different contexts calls for different tech.

I’m seeing the Fusion as a leave-home-for-the-day type EDC, you make use of any decent mains power sockets when stationary.

For the problems where mains ports are hard to reach, I go two different approaches depending on the gadgets and hotel. More expensive hotels have more ports and usually each side of the bed, so I tend to go with a Powerport5 plugged into the side of bed opposite with gadgets all recharged at packing. Cheaper hotels, well I may go with a 12ft mains extension cord and then the Powerport2. These are about the same size/weight in total. I always have the Aukey 12W as a backup/small so for example 12ft extension + Powerport 2 + Aukey + Powercore 1000 is then a fairly robust “system”. The 12ft cord helps in airports as often where is a seat isnt where there’s a socket and you can share power with others more.

I add the mah for the expected time off-grid. 5000mah to 15000mah usually does it. I might swap the Fusion instead of the Slim.

In the hotel situation you can also sometimes find the hotel Wifi is abyssmal and your cellular signal inside the room bad also. Whilst I usually have hours of videos stored, a use of an Anker Powercore is to place your cellphone by the window (or outside on the ledge weather permitting) to boost its cell signal, then tether over Wifi to another device inside the room, a basic jerrryrigged antennae booster. This drains the window-ledged cellphone rapidly so it would be connected all evening to a Powercore (the Fusion for example) and the other device inside would be wired to the Powerport, and then as sleep beckons its moved together to the Powerport. I was in Vegas recently and exactly this problem and solution. If you spot a theme it is diversity is your tool.

Hotel life: Be careful what you touch pulling back a bed, usually there’s years of …

I think the Fusion will be improved, such as a little smaller / lighter or possibly a bit more mah or more Wattage (its Anker’s weakest mains charger). If a 10000mah Fusion was to be made, I’d like it to be corded like put 10000mah inside the Powerport5. If they have to cut back the Wattage output from say 40W to say 30W for thermal reasons that would be fine.

Those who want more mah inside them a wallplug well, they’ll feel a bit foolish having plugged it to recharge overnight to wake finding it on the floor, or worse, soaked up the water in the puddle on the hotel sink surface.

2 Likes

for hotel and airport outlet problems, i never travel without one of these:
https://www.amazon.com/Leviton-692-W-Triple-Grounding-Adapter/dp/B000P9SXTG/

its small and portable, folks in airport dont mind plugging it in and sharing juice and it adds 3 outlets to those desk/lamp plugs in hotels.

1 Like

Never seen a wall charger with battery included. Or should I say a battery with an AC plug attached? I am assuming that the 5V 2.1A Max image from nigelnealy’s post means if more than one device is connected the 2.1A will be split between the two. I hope that is just when using battery alone and not while connected to wall outlet. With so many fast charging devices on the market I can’t see the logic behind any new product putting out less then 2.1A per port. However, I would love to test out this new product. Anker, feel free to hook me up. :wink:

1 Like

Kind of.

The 2 ports when plugged into mains is max combined 2.1A, when not plugged into mains the 2 ports combined max 3A output.

The idea of combined battery+charger I’ve seen for years. They were always too big or expensive, I never bought one.

This Fusion idea is a good idea but I can see already how to improve it. For example once the internal battery is charged, the max output is 3A not 2.1A. I’m guessing in the size/weight engineering problems of not making it so big it falls out the wall, they could only fit a 10.5W AC-DC converter and a 3.7V to 5V 15W DC-DC converter inside. Thermal issues can only by solved by shape or size both a constraint of this size, as discussed earlier, having the pins on the narrow side makes it a bit easier to fit in constrained spaces but pulls weight further off the wall, having pins on wide side makes it harder to fit in constrained spaces, if you make the design more thermally efficient (less square, more rectangular) then it makes both these problems worse (it’s longer if narrow so pulling more, or its wider so harder to fit). If they used more custom chips to merge to make smaller or more efficient, then the cost goes up. Some clever engineering going on in here, and they’ll learn from this for the next one.

Still, I expect the version after “Fusion II” can be tuned.

The more likely is this idea in a corded design. Think the Powerport5 with a battery. Corded can be heavier and shaped more rectangular which allows an energy increase of the AC-DC and of the DC-DC and you can place these further apart to keep the battery temperature in safe limits. This is why say Powerport4 is 40W but the corded Powerport6 and the upcoming USB-PD can be 60W or higher.

So I’m guessing something like a Powercore Fusion 10000 corded looking a bit like a Powerport5 would be out in the not too distant future, possibly if this Fusion 5000 does really well.

2 Likes

that for today or yesterday?

Yesterday. As of now its unavailable so can’t use the code. The originator offering the code said all used up and I see a claim 2721 bought (but not sure if that is true if its every-click-thru or resulting purchases).

2 Likes

:frowning:

1 Like

What do you use when its not 3 pin? That 3rd pin really helps with worn sockets but not all sockets are 3 pin.

I agree, bringing ability to share power just helps all round “do you mind if I move your cord to this”.

This discussion prompted me to see if I could find an extension cord which had a socket near the input so you could plug it in, leave a socket free where it is AND have sockets one end of cords. I found “cat’o’nine” looking devices but the concern is their hanging weight. Your idea works best for helping to pull someone else’s cord out the wall and put into such a device but my idea of an extension cord helps with sockets where you’re sat. So something doing both which is literally just a socket over the plug and then the cord, do you know anything like that? Would help in hotels too if you’re having to unplug say a lamp from 1 plug to insert an extension.

This discussion helps the Fusion out as its on the end of a cord not necessarily in the wall.

2 Likes

enable notifications in chrome on your mobile then as its a thread you replied you get a mobile notification. Very light weight low-demand way to know what you care for before the masses can jump queue.

2 Likes

Was this supposed to be for me?

2 Likes

usually only the lamps have the 2 prong outlets. If so i just use it at wall socket. most airport sockets are grounded that i have seen

2 Likes

Hi everyone, we’ve noticed your heated discussion about our Powercore Fusion! This product was so hot, it completely sold out in less than 3 hours! But don’t worry, we’ve got a lot more coming very soon. Keep checking our community and your email for updates. :wink:

3 Likes

Who already has it??

1 Like

Me.

It is in my EDC for work. But not used it much. Basically because it’s not 24W of Powerport2 and not 10000mah.

2 Likes

How many watts is it?

1 Like

10.5W PSU

5Ah, 15W battery

I am now in my 4th bed in a week and flown 8000 miles via 4 flights and living out of backpack, and I dont have the Fusion because its not powerful in either dimension, I flew on a 11 hour flight then 3 hours wait for connnection then an hour on road and I used the Powercore 10000 to keep phone+tablet charged whilst sat in flight so they were fully charged during moving times. 5000Ah isnt enough. If I did plug it to mains it would only be because the Ah not enough. 10000mah is phyiscally smaller than the 5000mah and if I had to plug in at my connecting flight which was in Dublin Ireland I’d have had to gather the PSU and the local country plug adapter. Then when I did eventually get to a bed I then plugged in lots of gadgets to recharge and I did that via the Powerport2 and the phone charger (OnePlus3T DASH charger).

I still think the Fusion is just an EDC for “just enough” for a long day where you want just 1 item and 1 less cable.

1 Like

I’m sure they will have more powerful versions of this product in the future!

1 Like

Does anyone have the Fusion? If so, how are you liking it?

1 Like

I now own 2, 3rd on its way, I’m kitting out the family using the discount code here note it is one per customer so Amazon Household gets you >1.

Pro:

They are an EDC to use with a mobile where you merge one short cable with one powerbank with one wall charger.

As shown here.

It ends up about 20% smaller and lighter so more for an EDC. So if you are carrying all those 3 items then it replaces. This is good for say a 2-3 day weekend city visit when you’re using your mobile a lot to navigate and you’re living out of a backpack for half the time between hotel checkin/checkout and the flights.

Good for less geeky people who would simply forget or not understand that if you drained a battery they’d to plug into recharge, this removes that need to remember, if you hand them a Fusion then “its all you need” with 1 cable.

Con:

It is a compromise of not that good at any one thing.

As a Powercore it is huge, heavy. It is same weight as the Powercore 10000 but larger and half the mah, so if you were not need more than 10000mah you’d be smaller to carry just a bigger battery. Days where you need just a little extra power, the Powercore+ Mini would be a lot smaller, days where you only needed 5000mah, the Slim 5000 is smaller, days which you need 10000mah the Powercore 10000mah is smaller, so its really for multiple days where you’d drain battery and need to recharge so you need both functions.

As a Powerport alternative it is larger and heavier than say the Powerport2 which outputs 24W vs this 10.5W. The claim of 2.1A is valid, I have metered it. If I connect a high power drain (say a drained Powercore 10000) then I gives 2.1A like a Powerport2 but if I add a 2nd device then the Watts is not split evenly, one ended up with 1.6A the other 0.6A and the voltage drops from 5.1V to about 4.7V as it tries to eek out 10.5W over two ports. That that means this is perfectly powerful enough for one high power device or two medium power devices such as a mobile and a BT headphones, but not for two high performance devices like say a mobile and a tablet.

So if you were not in an EDC mode but with say multiple devices (say a mobile and a tablet) then it would more struggle to charge quickly both devices.

When I use mine:

• its in my EDC bag to go to work. 5000mah is enough but if (rare) a bad app on my mobile fully drained the phone I need a wall charger too so this merges smaller those items combined, 10.5W is plenty enough for just a mobile.
  • if I’m on a mid-sized business trip I’d take my Nexus 7 tablet with its keyboard, say Moto G4 Play these collectively will last most of a day so 5000mah is enough and I just plug them all in at night, this then is a very compact laptop+mobile+charger system.
  • family members “its all you need” who only have mobiles.

When I don’t use mine:

• heavier business trips when carrying my Pixel C its huge battery calls for me to carry the Powercore 10000 + Powerport4 to charge tablet, mobile, Android Wear, BT headphones.
  • home. I use a 6 port device.
2 Likes