New FCC - PowerCore 10K Wireless

New FCC has been registered PowerCore 10K wireless…excited or no?

4 Likes

Yes I saw that too.

Seems they were thinking the same as me. It is such an obvious idea.

I am not so sure it’s ideal to be in the 10K size, as proportionally more energy is wasted wirelessly, as I imagined owning different mind’s eye products it felt like larger would be a sweetspot like 15K to 20K.
Given the product is a little larger, one can see that would tend to oppose being larger capacity, so 10K becomes emptier faster than 20K so you need a USB-C 18W input and consider pass-thru.

Manual

I can already see they botched the design, it is already obviously critically flawed design.

So my hopes raised then dashed.

The 5W, being so low, makes wireless output makes sense as wireless creates heat, heat and batteries a bad idea, and less absolute energy wasted so the most phone recharges, but that means in these envisaged products it had to be powerful wired to compensate for weak wireless. So wireless is a top-up type and you have wired if phone needs to be faster charged. Therefore such a product must be USB-C 18W recharged.

What it needs to be:

• USB-C input and output. USB-C only mode of operation.
  • 10K input should be faster. 9V 2A 18W input, like the 10000 PD, 10000 PD Slim, 10000 PD Redux.
  • 12K wireless output should be 18W. We had the debate in the community and wireless was seen as nice-to-have and secondary to use for convenience but wired still central for fast and efficient.
  • Consider larger capacity to offset the lost energy of less efficient wireless.
  • Not clear if supports pass-thru, can anyone spot in the manual? Looked twice, no mention it can or cannot i.e. it can wirelessly output charging while wired charged? If they do that then it becomes basically a portable wireless charger you use and move around.

Pass-thru ideas:

• as it being charged makes heat, and wireless makes heat, I envisaged the Powercore Fusion idea has to happen, so not purely pass-thru.
  • Envisaged when a device is on the wireless pad, it waits til that Wattage output drops to a trickle, then it begins recharging itself. Or its less intelligent, as you remove the device it switches into recharging itself and stops when phone put on. Happy given the time to design and test for the first iteration product to be dumb, so phone on stops it being charged, but soon after it senses the temperature and demand and balances recharging itself to happen less when wireless output is more.
  • In the envisaged product usage, this would be all a person would buy, the extra cost of this device is less than the cost of buying the separate products. So someone would plug this into their wall charger at home and put the phone on it at night, so it would need to recharge the phone then itself and you wake to both charged, or in an office if you finished commute it recharges your phone then itself as you pick up the phone it then can more able to recharge itself than when phone is on it.

They got the size impact right, it is only about 10% bigger than non-wireless as you merge the fact a Powercore has a case with the loop in the case itself. :+1::

As this is not USB-C in+out, I will not buy this product and wait for the obvious flaws in feedback. Such a pity.

3 Likes

Specs:

Capacity: 10000mAh / 37 Wh

Only Input USB-C 5V with 2A
Output USB-A 5V with 2.4A
Wireless Output 5W

Yes, does seem a shame to provide USB-C but limit to input only…one step forwards two steps backwards I guess…

1 Like

There has to be trade-offs given the heat of wireless and batteries don’t go along. Such a wireless portable charger had to be low wattage wireless. But if you used the Powercore Fusion idea which works in the very similar thermal problem of recharging the Fusion cells vs charging output port, it can pivot via once output demand drops it can increased its internal recharging.

Given the lack of mention of pass-thru, implies it doesn’t exist meaning if you put the phone on it stops being able to be recharged, so it is critically flawed, people who want to save money but still get convenience will be saying they still have to buy a wireless charger for bedside and this so see a cost. If they add pass-thru (even if dumb like the Fusion idea) then this product is all someone needs to buy.

So I match your 1 forward and 2 back, to 1 forward and 3 back. :face_with_monocle:

Yes just hope the price isn’t to bad.

Anker will do the usual thing of making you think you’re getting a bargain by a ridiculously high launch price, then a normal discount around 15%-25% and then the odd extra discount to 45%.

I expect the raw manufacturing parts costs adds about £5 to what is otherwise a very mediocre 10K 10W in 12W out Powercore. So I expect the extra discounted price in the £24-£28 region. So to make that appear 45% discount “wow what a deal” the launch price is going to have to be in the £37-£43 region. So say a £39.99 UK price. To which you then have the meh moment as wireless charger + 10K Powercore will be less total cost and each individually better technology. Once it drops to £24-£28 region then you’ll begin thinking its cheaper than buying the separate parts.

We’ll see…

Critical, we do not yet know, is if it supports pass-thru, even if basic, as if it does then it becomes “all you need” type product so people buy this instead of a wireless charger and move it between bedside, pocket, office and back again. If it doesn’t support pass-thru there will be a meh moment where people still have to buy a bedside wireless charger. If it has pass-thru, as it avoids spending £10 for a bedside charger, the product’s price can be higher, and needs to be higher to pay for the extra intelligence.

So excited @ndalby a little bit of wee came out :face_with_hand_over_mouth:

So, not so exciting product then ? :face_with_raised_eyebrow:
Only addition is the wireless charging (low 5W?) where the competition already offering much better product?

Technically you need it to be a low wireless Wattage for heat purposes. Batteries and heat don’t go well together.

Higher wattage wireless in non-battery, yes absolutely.

But that necessarily slow wireless then beckons for a fast wired so it is baffling why the engineer picked a mediocre 10W in 12W out wired with this.

Pass-thru is critical if this is to be a commercial success, we don’t know yet.

Wow 5w is the wireless output? :scream:

5W is a logical choice for a wireless output from a portable charger, due to heat and batteries.

All other aspects are much more flexible choice like the 10W input, 12W output, they could be say 18W in, 18W out, and could be USB-C in and out.

1 Like

I suspect this is a product that has been in the works for a couple of years, hence the unimpressive specs.

I think you mean output.

1 Like

You’re correct, edited.

Well simply added a wireless loop output to the, say, 10000 PD Slim, and the 20000 PD Essential, would be a good balance. Pass-thru done in a crude way, like the Powercore Fusion, would then make it a winner as its then the single product for many.

1 Like

Nice! Finally a Wireless powerbank option.

But I won’t get it. There are better options out there that have USB-C in and out.

1 Like

While it is a logical choice, I think if we were to pick between a 5w and 10w, most of us would choose 10w, at least I would.
Oh well, I’m sure others will find this wireless charger useful :+1:

1 Like

For 10W you’d need much more thermal throttling intelligence in the new Powercore (*). You get that in most phones.

Wireless is at least 10% less efficient, so at 10W that’s at least 1W as heat.

Wired is about 95% efficient in a Powercore so that same 1W heat would come from 20W.

Hence wired can be 18W (typical now) for the same thermal as 10W wireless. So I can see why 5W. I was expecting 7.5W though to be honest. Wireless, you have heat in the Powercore and conducting from the phone. In wired they are both more efficient and typically not physically touching for no conduction from phone to Powercore also. This is why I thought wireless Powercore would necessarily have to be less Wattage wireless. No need to make it less powerful wired whatsoever.

** you’d need for 10W to work to begin at 10W and cold phone would begin to get 10W and then as a thermal sensor detect heat then dial it back down to 7.5W then 5W. That thermal sensor more sophisticated than a straight simple on/off thermal safety cut-out. I doubt we’ll see that initially but it is certainly easily within the capability of any engineer, at a cost.

1 Like

Good n bad. Good charging wit no cords. Bad is potential battery power lost to heat and maybe decrease battery life.

It won’t at 5W. That’s why.

∆ Yes & Yes ∆

I’ve been asking Anker to make a wireless power bank for years I’m glad they’re finally getting on board.

Having pass-through USB-C to wireless charging would be ideal on larger power banks that have the internal room for larger heatsinks or just dissipate heat better if there are no heat sinks, they would also provide more than one and a half to two phone charges, depending on the phone of course.

10K it’s too small, the smallest wireless power bank option should have been 13k.

That being said I would still like to get my hands on one to test it out but as I already have an army of power Banks I couldn’t in good conscience purchase another but would be smitten if @AnkerOfficial sent me a tester.

1 Like