New Essentials Phone

What are your thoughts on the new Essentials phone that Andy Rubin (cofounder of Android) made? I think it looks pretty cool in concept but I’ll wait til I see more than just the renders. What do you guys think?

I like the modular attachments thing, but then again…those usually never work out.

2 Likes

To save others from searching, here is an article with some info:

1 Like

Cheers, added to tomorrow morning’s reading…with coffee of course :grin:

Here are my thoughts:

1. $699 ouch what are they thinking with this astronomical price point for what for is an unknown brand at this point.

2. Modular phones - cool idea , but a pipe dream, it will never work, the world has rejected modular phones as seen by google ditching their Ara phone project after millions on R&D…

3. It is made by Andy Rubin , so it should be good when the Google Nexus range came out it was revolutionary with its stock android and crazy frequent OS updates compared to Samsung but the Pixel range was not so hot.

4. Rubin mentioned on a podcast that users would have to pay extra for the use of a headphone jack, ugh, epic fail, I don’t do earbuds and I don’t do bluetooth.

5. Smartphone market is pretty much monopolized by Samsung, Apple and a select few others like One plus. It will be near impossible for a new phone to enter the market, this coming from someone who uses a Nextbit Robin phone! (about as alternative as you can get)

6. Steve Jobs once called Rubin a “big, arrogant f–k,” this peaks my interest and makes me think that he must have been on to something!
    http://www.businessinsider.com/steve-jobs-on-android-founder-andy-rubin-big-arrogant-f-2013-11

7. Not going to lie, I am excited for a new phone to launch on the market, there are way too many ‘me too’ phones out there, the Galaxy S8 is pretty much a rip off of the Xiaomi Mi Mix. There has to be more to new phones than just Curved screens and no bezels.

2 Likes

I did not know he was releasing a new Ambient OS open source operating system for smart homes, that is exciting ! :sunglasses:

I would wait for reviews. It is interesting but if I have the choice between an upcoming OnePlus and an essential phones. It will be the OnePlus 5.

First of all I want to see how the development of company would be.

I’m waiting on the OnePlus 5 too. My One and 3T have been the best phones I’ve bought. Purely because of the price and performance value. It’s crazy. Hopefully the 5 will be decently priced, but runors are suggesting a significant price hike. Which might really make or break the OnePlus 5’s success. If it’s even 500 bucks it might fail to impress

Thanks for your experience on the One and 3T. I have the nexus 6 and it is starting to lag a bit and be unresponsive at times.

Don’t know a whole lot about the OnePlus brand.

I will never buy a Nexus (now Pixel) device because of the terrible bootloop problems with the Nexus 5X (and some other LG manufactured phones). A freaking nightmare with Google Support and LG Support. Terrible experience. 3 Nexus 5X phones later, got a refund, and bought the 3T.

1 Like

I was Nexus 4 then 5, but for costs reasons then Oneplus One, Two, 3T.

The advantage of focusing on cost is it sells in quantity so gets more Dev support and lower cost accessories.

Well, I don’t know much about the Pixel or new “pure” Android phones. But the 5x was made by LG. My Nexus 6 by Motorola never really had tech issues.

I’ve been intrigued by OnePlus and I’ve heard from many Anker users of good experiences. Anker people are smart.