New Anker Roav Dashcam - photos, manual, video reviews

yes thanks, i forgot about the sensitivity while driving, i believe its for recording accidents and locks the clip correct?

Correcto! I love that feature, otherwise, you’d have to manually push the EMER button to lock that footage so it doesn’t get overwritten when your memory card fills up. Besides that, how many people would remember to do so when in an accident? Good thinking Anker :wink: But let’s hope that we’d never have to actually go thru getting into an accident.

A few UI improvement suggestions based on my couple weeks of ownership. These are in order of my perceived value add.

The emergency button is very difficult to get too, especially if it is tucked under the rear-view mirror like mine is. The on/off button however, would be a great, easy to hit, emergency button. A short press could trigger emergency/lock, a long press could turn off. Assuming this button is simply tied to a GPIO, that should be trivial to implement.

I agree with the poster above about the the parking monitor falsing on the door open/close. Perhaps a dead-zone setting option in the parking monitor would be sufficient. A default of +/- 30 seconds from power on/off. This should prevent most door open/close false triggers.

It would be nice to have an indication upon entering/power on if there were any issues during the parking segment. Turning on the screen, and displaying a large number (or beeping) or some other indicator to inform the user that the parking monitor was activated while away. Bonus points if the time/date/sensitivity of the impact(s) could be displayed.

Although, the way mine is tucked behind the mirror, a series of beeps on power on might be a better option b/c it is difficult to see the screen w/o moving my mirror completely out of the way.

And finally, it would be fantastic to be able to use the device as a wifi client on my network. This of course would take a fair amount of effort, but it would be much easier to pull/view videos. Not much ROI on this feature – it’s only neat. Perhaps a compromise would be to auto-enable wifi for X seconds after power so a phone could easily connect and see if there were any issues during the parking segment.

The nerd in me hopes the f/w is still in active development. This is a nice little camera. These updates would be worth a couple of dollars donation.

I wonder if anyone has built a custom f/w for this device? :slight_smile:

Anker needs to offer an rear view mirror mounting option for the Roav… For some vehicles (and purchasers), mounting to the windshield is simply not a desirable or practical method.

1 Like

I’ve only had mine for a short period of time, but it became apparent pretty quickly that it would be quite handy if Anker included a storage case of some type, or at least made one available as an accessory. In many areas around Chicago, leaving a Cam in the window is just asking for trouble so I frequently need to take it down. Without any type of protection for the lens, I’m thinking this lens is going to get destroyed in short order. Suggestion box stuffer! Thanks.

Thanks for your suggestion! We’ll consider your advice and keep improving. Thanks.

i get a lot of people who ask me if it is a stock camera. I have a ford f250 lariat. I say no it’s an Anker :wink:
I did lie and say it was recording all the time so they wouldn’t mess with my truck :wink:

One other item I forgot to mention, an additional suction cup mount like Aukey is providing in addition to the hard mount.

just getting to grips with this new piece of kit… and have some questions that i can’t see answered anywhere.

We are using the ROAV in our camper van and the power socket stays live at all times. So the camera would not necessarily switch off when switching of the engine or on when starting up…. Is that correct? Is there anyway to ensure it powers down after the vehicle has been stationary for a given period anyhow? Does it actually do this anyway? Equally for starting up, given the power might always be on, then does it draw some tiny amount of power all the time, or does it need to be powered up to start etc.

Thanks for your help etc

If the power socket stays on all the time, then I would think that when the dash cam is connected to it, it would continuously record (loop) for the time frame that you set it at… for instance 3 minute clips. With my car, a Toyota RAV4, the dash cam is only powered on IF I have my engine on or I have it hooked up to a power bank. Meaning, I can have my dash cam plugged into the charger but if my engine isn’t on, the dash cam will switch to the “Parking Monitor,” and utilize the internal battery…in which, it takes 30 second clips and saves/locks onto your microSD card every time it comes on.

On a side note, regarding the Parking Monitor… I’ve found that even when I have it turned off. It still somehow comes on. Which is annoying. Hope this helps. If nothing else, call Roav. They have excellent customer service. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Help! Help! My dashcam screen stays on while I am driving.

You have the option in the dash cam menu to turn the backlight off after either 30 or 60 seconds of use. It sounds like you have currently got it set on off.

1 Like

WHENEVER I cut on the car (even if parked and not moving) the dash cam makes a noise and goes into emergency recording mode. When I’m driving or not driving at all. HOW DO I SHUT THIS OFF?!?

I have the parking sensor off and the other one. (I forget the other setting) it’s so annoying!! Even if I turn the cam off while I drive, the battery backup kicks in and it turns itself back on.

It will make the noise and stat emergancy recording, I’ll hit stop, then 4 seconds later it goes back to emergancy recording

Hi @Locoboof,
It sounds like your Parking Monitor feature is still on. Would you please double-check the settings just to make sure? You’ll want Parking Monitor to be “off” and you can try setting the Sensitivity to “Low” or “Off”. Feel free to reach out to support@goroav.com if it still does not work properly.

I will email now. It’s off… everything is set to off and it won’t turn off. Even if I’m parked and not moving in my garage it still goes into emergency record mode

Have you tried the reset button (number 10)? Can often help when settings get screwed up;

I actually have the same exact problem, even when Parking Monitor is turned off. I’ve been meaning to contact Roav about it.

I have the same problem and have reset it several times, no joy. I will contact Roav and see what they say. This has been happening ever since I got the C1.

I just got off the phone with GoRoav and spoke to Jing. She said that the unit I have may be faulty and advised me to email support at support@goroav.com . I’ll come back with an answer once I hear from them. :slight_smile:

Emailed 8 hours ago and no reply. No matter what setting I put it on it keeps going off. Keeps saying “emergancy” and I’m parked