Need Help Choosing Chargers

I have an iPad Pro 9.7" and a newer iPhone 8 Plus while my wife has an older iPhone 6 Plus and the newer iPad…just iPad. we also have a couple headphones that charge over micro-USB and I would like to simplify the charging setup we have.

Currently we have two Quick Charge 3.0 and on my PC I have a Anker 10 Port 60W USB 3.0 Hub.

I would like to be able to wireless charge my iPhone 8 Plus (it’s in an Otterbox Defender in case that affects wireless charging) and then use whatever quick charge options our iPad’s and iPhone 6 Plus can take advantage of.

Thank you very much for your assistance! :slight_smile:

1 Like

There will be answers soon from the buddies here.
Be patient you never stand alone😀

2 Likes

I think the PowerWave pad or stand would suit you well for wireless charging.

The PowerPort Elite should work for the iPhone 6 Plus and iPad Pro 9.7" since it can provide the max 5V 2.4A charge they support.

If you want to future-proof a little bit in case you upgrade to the newer iPhones and iPads that can fast charge with Power Delivery, then check out the PowerPort II with Power Delivery. Actually, your iPhone 8 Plus would support fast charging via Power Delivery as well. At the moment, only Apple sells the USB-C to Lightning cable you would need.

3 Likes

thanks TW, but what wireless stand would you recommend to keep the black motif? I don’t like Apple’s white wall worts, LoL!

and interesting that only Apple has USB-C to Lighting. goes to show the strangle hold they have on their ecosystem. :frowning:

1 Like

No problem, Anker actually has two black stands:

And here’s a black wall wort to go with it :wink: (neither of these stands will come with a wall adapter included) https://www.anker.com/products/variant/powerport-speed-2-ports/A2025111

by AC adapter, I’m guessing you mean those PowerPort Speed 2 chargers?

lastly, what cable do I need for the 7.5w Fast Wireless Charger? I’m guessing USB Type C, or perhaps an existing USB 3.0 to Lightning, but I don’t see anything specified in the product details.

and in that case, would the PowerPort II with USB Type C work with the Fast Wireless Charger, for future proofing for coming upgrades?

1 Like

Note: these stands don’t have a fan for cooling, while the white one above does. Just saying. :grin:

1 Like

The wireless charger will come with a Micro USB cable that you will connect to the AC adapter (in this example, the PowerPort Speed 2). So you wouldn’t need to purchase a separate cable specifically for the wireless charger.

For the 7.5W wireless charger, you will need a Quick Charge 3.0 AC adapter (which is why I mention the PowerPort Speed 2). Why, you may be wondering? Basically, any wireless charger above 5 watts requires more than 5 volts as there is some power loss in the conversion. Quick Charge 3.0 chargers can deliver the extra power that is needed. This is why you’ll see this little footnote on the page for the 7.5W wireless charger:

“Do not use Apple’s 5V / 1A stock charger or a computer’s USB port to power your Anker wireless charger. iOS 11.2 required to access 7.5W fast charging for iPhone. Quick Charge 3.0 wall adapter required for Fast Charge Mode.”

If you go with the 5W wireless charger, then the PowerPort Elite will give you enough juice and save you a little money.

I hope all this makes sense! Let us know if you have any more questions.

1 Like