Moto’s Moddable Mobile!

Moto has released the world’s first moddable smart phone: Moto Z and Moto Z Force. Google was once involved with this project, but stopped investing resources in June 2016. The best thing about a moddable phone is the freedom to transform using Moto Maker to select storage amount, front and body colors, and an array of Moto Mods. Mods let your phone become a projector, a boombox, a battery powerhouse, and more.

To promote the product, Moto worked with several YouTubers to build awareness of their brand and offerings. You can check some out below:

No. 1: There is no more durable smartphone than Moto Z

No. 2: Working out with your phone

No. 3: Taking apart Moto Z

No. 4: My baby slept soundly because of Moto Z

No. 5: Enjoy a relationship with Moto Z

Covering a wide range of topics, the videos associated with this marketing campaign reached over 16 million views in total!

What do you think of the Moto Z? Do you feel that this is an effective marketing strategy? Let us know what you think in the comments!

4 Likes

I think this is pretty cool,Thanks for sharing. I liked what I saw in the videos but the mods are quite expensive and would have to be of better quality in my opinion than that of a similar priced stand alone accessory. I really like the fact that along with a couple of Anker battery packs and a couple of Moto Z phones you could create a complete cinema and sound experience (although I am not sure if they can be synced or tethered together) while off the grid for a long time.

2 Likes

To be honest I liked the moddable phone concept from google a bit more only because it wasnt a whole back of the phone being switched out constantly. It was the little things like the better battery, more RAM, storage, better camera, additional flash, etc that got me excited. This seems to be a step up from what Sony and nokia have been doing with their specialized phones (high quality phone camera, projector phone, etc) because you can swap them out with others.

maybe one day we will experience a point in time where the phones cannot innovate much anymore and the best thing to do is update the specs via modding the phone every year while keeping the external the same (what google was aiming for).

3 Likes

I just purchased a Moto Z2 Force Edition partially because I was interested in the Mods - The other reason for the purchase was moving away from iPhone . While retail price was too much for me, my carrier had a deal where I paid $300 for the phone and got the projector mod free, which is going to be very handy in my work. Depending on how well the projector mod works I may buy the Hasselblad camera as well. But at $300 a piece the mods are pretty expensive. Anker should make more cost effective options :slight_smile:

The trade off here is carrying around so many mods that you’re mo longer really that mobile. We’ll see how it goes.

3 Likes

Really interesting and cool idea I hope it is successful but think it is kind of a niche market.

2 Likes

Glad to hear you’re happy after switching from iphone

2 Likes

Gotta admit they are pretty cool and it will be interesting to see how they progress…

1 Like

How do you feel the projector mod?:grinning:

1 Like

I haven’t gotten it yet! The ship time was 4-6 weeks. I’ve got at least another 3 to go :weary: I’ll post a review when I get it!

2 Likes

:smile: OK, hope it deserve to wait!

3 Likes

Very interesting phone.

1 Like

Sounds interesting…Projector phones were already in the market since 2013(Chinese phones)… Hope they have good advancements…!!

2 Likes

2012 Galaxy beam was the first

2 Likes

I feel its pretty effective since it seams like each video reaches a different group of people; parents (my baby slept soundly because of Moto Z), techies (taking apart Moto Z), adventurers (there is no more durable smartphone than Moto Z), and more. I think Anker could (and maybe should) do something similar since they have so many different products that meet different needs.

1 Like

Sounds nice! Thank you for your suggestion! We also opened our influencer project, so stay tuned. :grin:

1 Like

It did deserve to wait! I love it! Check out my review here (and pin it too if you want!) :wink:

1 Like