Month off-grid experience with Anker

So… I am now back from one month as “off-grid” as I could manage, a trip I was thinking of over ~ a year, and tuning my kit list.

I did a test in July. Then used as intended in September.

My conclusions:

• Power access is erratic, so it is better to keep with you a lot of stored energy, so more Powercore, to withstand droughts of power, and then recharge them quickly when a “flood” of power comes up such as sunshine or access to wall power, than it is to keep a small amount of stored power. So larger Powercore.
  • solar power does work in perfect sunny conditions but unless you are entering a known sunny place and time, do not bother. Access to wall plugs and its power is more consistently available than sunshine.
  • the Powercore ability to ingest energy dominates the problem, so QC, IQ2, dual IQ, etc dominate.
  • just carry a phone and Soundbuds Life.

I did a test in July and it was sunny a lot, so I actually was able to go all devices off solar, but then in August/September it was dull/rain a lot and I was lugging a solar panel with no sun, so I had to use wall sockets a lot. I had the weight of solar with me but only a Powercore 10000 which can only ingest so fast. If I had say no solar and say 2 Powercore 10000, I’d have less weight and more stored energy and ingest 2x faster.

Devices. I did try just phone, and tried phone + tablet. The problem with a tablet is it draws more total power, so if you are energy deprived the tablet is a bad idea.

So if entering a long off-grid event, my current recommendation would be:

• just a phone
  • Soundbuds Life
  • Powerport for your phone and Powercore type, e.g. Powerport 2
  • a large Powercore or two smaller Powercore. e.g. Powercore 26800, or two Powercore 10000

Some photos this last month

9 Likes

The longest I’ve been off grid was 3 days. But we had access to power from our Jeeps during our off road trips. However, Id did do some testing with several different solar panels designed to charge cellphones and tablets. As you mentioned they are not reliable. I found the sun has to be perfect (no clouds and the panel pointed in the right direction) to charge at its fasted capabilities.

I found that I left a power block charging at the campsite and the solar panel in direct sunlight it was the best option for getting a decent charge. Mounting the panel on a backpack isn’t ideal and is very slow charge. But it could work if you are charging small power banks.

1 Like

It has been our desire to go completely off grid. But it would seem our off grid is different than yours as it would not include anything electronic. So yes, upon occasion you might see us using (god forbid) paper maps etc.
So next time you actually want to go off grid try not taking any electronics etc… reading by candle light etc. Then one can honestly say they went off grid.

1 Like

I agree, everyone’s “off grid” definition is different… Technically, I go off grid when I go to festivals like burning man where everything is self sustained; there is no electricity or running water. But that is not the same as being off grid due to a natural disaster. I think your right in the sense of the true form of being “off grid” is like living like the Amish.

Sounds like you have either been watching too much Naked and Afraid or not been watching enough. Doesn’t really seem to work out for them.:joy: