Model Zero+ Connectivity Issues

Thanks, I have emailed the case to the service, maybe I get a better response than support :slight_smile:
Keep you posted!

It is Chinese New year so they may not get back to you right away.

I’ve been having the same issues mentioned here, although I’ve been on firmware 37.

After reseting the device the first time (speaker wasn’t casting to Spotify), it was no longer able to register with Google Home on Android. A Reddit search led me to learn that borrowing someone’s iPhone may help, which it did. At least it was no longer bricked and could access the internet.

For music, I get “sorry something went wrong. Give it another try.” Spotify Connect no longer sees it. Moreover, the Soundcore app doesn’t recognize the speaker anymore.

This is definitely a firmware issue, and I hope they can update it soon. My phone and the speaker are, naturally, on the same network. Fortunately Bluetooth still works, which is better than nothing for now, but there are some serious issues going on.

I’m a beta tester and received it back in early October 2018.

System firmware version: 37
Cast firmware version: 1.32.129357

1 Like

Thanks a lot for sharing your experience. At least I’m not crazy :slight_smile:
Is disappointing to know that firmware 37 has the same behavior, but I suspect that the issue is with the casting firmware and there we have the same version.
Support has declared the unit damaged and no effort to fix it but I think that’s nearly impossible to say that the problem is with a hardware casting component

Well that means that it’s likely the all Model Zero+'s are damaged, especially once reset, as they cannot properly connect to the Google Home app properly. With Android, I receive a Chromecast error.

I’ll try reseting it again in a few days and will re-setup with my SO’s iPhone.

1 Like

I have an Iphone and was planning on using an Android so I guess both of us are out of luck. Unfortunately support is not willing to give more information but I also suspect damage across the line.

My case is a little bit trickier as I purchased 2 units with the help of a US friend and have them shipped to EU so I’m not covered by warranty and Anker seems very unwilling to admit the problem.

Overall a huge disappointment this experience and this is a product I wouldn’t recommend so far. When worked, it sounded awesome but paying 250USD for a bricked BT speaker is way too much

Support emailed me back today, and evidently there’s a firmware version 39. My issue is that the speaker isn’t looking or seeing that a newer firmware is available.

I’m going to reset it this evening and use someone’s iPhone to set it up again, so we’ll see. I’ll report back tomorrow.

1 Like

Can you share the support email you have been using? The listed email has been totally unsupportive :))
I suspect that the updating process is the issue too. I keep getting am updating process when I reset it but when it finishes I’m still on 36.

I’m using an iphone also

I’ve been in communication with them via service@soundcore.com. They needed my serial number, which was interesting, with the implication that they’re going to do something on their end. Nothing has changed over here, as I tried removing / unlinking and re-adding / setting up last night. Here’s hoping there’s some way to force a firmware update.

1 Like

Same here, I have even connected to the speaker through it’s own wifi instead of BT but nothing changed. Did you do anything special to get to 37 or was it just pushed to you?

I’ve been on 37 for a long time actually, so that’s what it pushed to OTA.

1 Like

So I received a reply today from Anker.

A manager worked with Google and my serial number to try and force a firmware update from their end. They noted he tried many times.

Unfortunately it didn’t work, and there’s nothing else they can do. I suppose it is now just a Bluetooth speaker and nothing more. I’m pretty sad about it.

They offered me 20% off my next order…

Damn. The news is that I have 2 other units on the way. Should arrive in 2-3 weeks. Very curious if same behavior because if so the whole line is toast

you paid shipping for beta testing? thats something

2 Likes

We have received some reports that some Model Zero+ speakers are having issues connecting with Google Assistant:

1. Please make sure your Model Zero+ is connected to WIFI and plugged into a power source.
  2. Turn off your device fully, then turn it back on.
  3. The device will then automatically begin a Software upgrade process
  4. Please give upgrade 20-60 minutes to complete and DO NOT turn off the device at this time
  5. Main LED will flash yellow while speaker is upgrading (see image below).
  6. Device will reboot automatically after it has finished upgrading.
  7. When the upgrade has completed.
  8. Please make sure you are using the newest version of the Google Home APP
    a. You can Check the Software version as follows:
    i. Go to the Google home APP.
    ii. Click the play music.
    iii. Click the Device Setting.

STILL HAVING ISSUES?
If after the update, Model Zero+ is still not connecting to Google Assistant, please contact Anker Customer Service
(Service@soundcore.com) so we can make arrangements to have your device shipped back to us and replaced with a new device.

Fortunately I have no such +
My ZERO is a great speaker.
And I dont need any assistant with! :joy:

1 Like

A follow up on this. I was dumb enough to believe Anker that this is a random problem affecting only a few units and with the refund I ordered 2 more units (yeah, dumb as a rock no need to point it out please).

Guess what. Both of them are bricked no support available and from this Reddit thread (https://www.reddit.com/r/anker/comments/an32s3/we_couldnt_authenticate_your_soundcore_model_zero/) I see that I’m screwed completely. Why completely? Because I had them shipped to EU and not covered by warranty. 650USD total damage (not counting here shipping and customs) and Anker is covered and continues to sell a damaged product line.

I really believed the bullshit with customer care at their first keynote but if i took a total of 1k usd damage I’ll make sure as many people as possible will find about this case

2 Likes

Anker needs to take care of this. This is absolutely unacceptable. Please keep us updated

2 Likes

That is absolutely horrific. I’m really sorry to hear that. With the new devices, did they immediately brick upon connecting to WiFi?

I don’t even understand how to connect it to WiFi via the Google Home app, as it can’t even make it that far in the process; I’ve tried Android and iOS.

Anker, I really don’t think the “fix” you suggested works. Moreover, and as a dedicated customer as well as beta tester, I don’t feel that I’ve been treated correctly. I will gladly send the Soundcore Mini back to you (that was my “compensation”), which is still sealed and will never be used unless gifted.

I’m tempted to return the PowerHouse I just purchase because this whole situation has left an awful taste in my mouth. Make it right, Anker, please and thank you.

1 Like

Today, the advice that Google Chromecast support gave me, as another last-ditch effort:

“Since you mentioned that you already reset your Chromecast and you’ve tried different devices for setup, much better if you can contact the manufacturer of your speakers.” “The best option that you can take right now is to check the warranty for your device through your manufacturer since it’s doing the same thing after troubleshooting.” “The setup should push through right away.”

"We currently don’t have any ongoing issues with other Chromecast built in devices. “It seems that it’s isolated only on the specific brand.”

It looks like Anker pulled the speaker from being available for purchase from the Soundcore website.

Based on the conversation with Google today, it sounds like Google won’t partner with Anker / Soundcore in the future if they can’t resolve the issue.

1 Like