Missed opportunity and a lesson: DashCam Management

This last weekend I did a short roadtrip to Vermont, to a small place deep into the Green Mountain Parc. I had my Roav DashCam C2 on the whole time, when it finally paid off: we saw a small black bear crossing the road and hiding in the woods, right in front of us! :bear:

After the initial surprise, and after we told everyone on the group who didn’t witnessed it, I remembered that I had physical evidence! My Roav DashCam captured it. Alas, I believed the 32GB card in it would sufice for at least a whole day, and waited until the next day to try and check the footage - it happened in the morning. But it wasn’t there, already replaced by newer footage of boring common road sightings
 :sob:

I understand now that I should had searched the footage in the cam right away and mark it as important to prevent deletion. If I had a newer model, I could have downloaded it as soon as I stopped after sighting the bear.

So, here’s the lesson: whenever you capture something interesting in your dashcam, remember to protect the footage as soon as possible! Don’t be like me!

5 Likes

Bad luck there fella

3 Likes

I wouldn’t call it bad luck, rather bad dashcam management, really
 :confounded:

1 Like

So what part of vermont where you in? I reckon it was a nice drive none the less. That’s one thing I miss is the scenic drives. But definitely either get a larger memory card or manage your footage better

2 Likes

Near a small town called Weston.

Does the C2 supports cards larger than 32GB?

Lesson learned. Mark as important as soon as possible so the dashcam doesn’t write over.

1 Like

Weston is a nice quiet place, that was about a 40 minute drive from where I lived when I was there

1 Like

Dang, that sucks, hopefully you’ll see another one, best wishes!

1 Like

Aw man, thats all bad. Well now you know how to manage your footage. Thank you for sharing because it will help me manage mine.

1 Like

Well that sucks. I often forget that I have C1 Pro and C1 in our cars. Just a month ago, we were coming out of a alley parking lot and some lady was impatient and cut us off. When she couldn’t fit thru the 2 lane alleyway, she threw something at our car
on the drivers side. Unfortunately, the dash cam didn’t catch that part but thankfully, it was still recording and got her cutting us off and the audio. We called the police but since there was no real damage to our car, the cops just chalked it up to her being an impatient driver. Luckily, we had the dash cam on so we showed the police the footage. I don’t think they believed us until we showed them the footage from the dash cam. Luckily, right after the incident happened, I hit the “lock” button on the dash cam to save the footage. Then got on my iPhone and downloaded it right away. You never know when you’ll need a dash cam but it’s always a relief when you do realize that you had it running the whole time.

2 Likes