Mars II Won't Power On

Mine doesn’t come on when the lid is down. sometimes it comes on if you keep the lid down for a long time (maybe 20 mins) but then it powers off by itself after one mnute, then gets into a repeated reboot and power down cycle.

I sent an email to Anker support but no response yet.

As I mentioned, mine was fixed by just warming it up before turning it on using a radiator or a fan heater. Now, I keep it in a warmer place and after using it everyday or so, it has become a lot better.

(Sigh). Just now getting back to this.

Plenty warm here most of the time here in SoCal, so I don’t think “preheating” it will help - leaving the shutter open and trying the remote don’t seem to work either. I’d tried emailing Anker support (twice) and never got any response

I’ve always received very good support from Anker for their external batteries and charging cables. Grrr.

Over the weekend Anker support responded to me, and are offering a swap for a refurbished unit at a discounted price. I’m interested, but they want me to “pay us… via the PayPal account for the new order” which seems a little weird. Anyone else been asked to make payments to Anker via PayPal?

Seriously - Anker now wants me to send a PayPal for the exchange to an @ianker.com (not @anker.com) address, and I have to send both payment and my unit first - can anyone confirm this is legit? :no_mouth:

Same here.

have this thread. many others seem to have the same issue.

My advice, is don’t do it. Not because I think it’s a scam, necessarily, but because a new projector isn’t likely to fix the problem. I’m on my second dead Mars 2 projector. Both have had the same problem. The first one worked for a long time (close to a year) with some intermittent random powering off issues, but being mostly reliable. (The times it did have trouble were mainly that it would just randomly shut itself off in the middle of a movie or something even if it was plugged in or had plenty of battery life left.) Then, one day it just refused to power on at all. Like others, the battery status lights indicated a full charge. But when I opened the shutter, either nothing happened, or the projector fan would start and the bulb might come on briefly before everything shut off. It would repeat this start up/shut off procedure a few times and then just stop trying to turn on. It did this regardless of whether it was plugged in or not. I contacted Anker and they told me that they would send me a replacement, but that since it was outside the one year warranty (barely), the new replacement projector would not be warrantied. Well, I received projector number two and guess what…same exact problem. I’ve tried everything I can think of. Most of the time, my projector stays mounted, so it hasn’t been damaged by dropping or anything like that. I suspect that the problem is cheap wiring in the shutter or something so that the projector doesn’t get the “shutter open/power on” signal. It’s not the charging cable, because unplugging and resetting the projector as Tank suggested didn’t fix it. I’ve tried emailing and calling Anker and have not received any real reply. I called them yesterday in the middle of the day and they still haven’t returned my call. Either they’re dodging my call, or they’re so swamped with customer service calls that they are HOURS or DAYS behind in returning calls. Either way, not a company that is going to get any more of my money. Shame on you Anker.

2 Likes

We are experiencing exactly the same problem. Worked for a little more than a year, and now is turning on/off by itself and eventually off. So annoying. We bought it in august 2019. Any advice about how to reach Anker? We live in Copenhagen

service@soundcore.com shoot them an email

Sure? Nebula.

Oops my bad lol, I thought it was part of soundcore for some reason

support@seenebula.com

As far as I can tell , Nebula warranty is 12 months

Hi everybody.

I have bought a nebula mars 2 in october 2019.
Since then i repeatedly had the same issue with the device : it stops abruptly (as if the battery is dead).
Then even pluging it back does not do anything.

Opening and closing again and again the sliding “door” does no good either.
I tried EVERYTHING.

I ordered a new power cable (twice) and it did not help.
I opened it and checked the électro components in. It did not help either.

Of course not a iota of support to expect from Anker. Forget about that option. They don’t give a damn about their clients problèms really.

Believe it or not but only one thing proved to work : heating the mars 2 with an hairdryer (full power!) for 2 minutes.

Then it will start.
It seems there is a built in software + heating detection security that will start the fan (and the device ) when it is burning hot.

And keep your hairdryer with u.
It might again stop without reason and need to be heated again a couple of times before the problem disappears.

But remember NEVER EVER to release the software of the mars 2.
EVERY release i did brought (literally) “shit in the fan”. The problem reappeared.

I suspect there is something cheesy at Anker with this problem.
It is 100% a software issue (firmware), absolutely nothing physical coming from Anker developpers.

If you Ask me , i would say it is a malfeasance from them (maybe to sell more units… who knows)… or are least gross and crass incompétence.

In any case , heat their malfunctioning device to the max.

Vincent.

When was last time you contacted support about the issue?

Mine has the same issue. The best bet I have to get mine to turn on is to flick the shutter down hard and fast when not connected to power. Doesn’t work every time and it will reset within an hour if it does work.

Ridiculous that we have to have a forum to discuss how to turn a device on. I was totally fooled by the reviews, given people post those within 12 months (for which mine worked). If only I had seen this thread before buying. This should be a class action. I thought it was just me. Will not be purchasing again from this company.

How long ago did you purchase your Mars II? Have you contacted support about this issue?

So I stumbled upon this thread whilst researching the mars 2 pro and being ready to make my purchase.

After reading this I was very dismayed and having already been in contact with Anker/Nebula I asked them the question about this issue and got the following response.

Dear NAME,

Thank you for your inquiry.

We can’t guarantee this issue doesn’t occur on all of our Mars2. But be rest assured, the Nebula projector comes with a 12-month warranty as long as it was purchased from Anker or Anker’s authorized resellers ( https://www.anker.com/warranty). Once we confirm the issue is with the Nebula, we are willing to help you move into the 12-month warranty as long as it was purchased from us or our authorized resellers within the warranty period.

Shall anything else we can help with, please feel free to contact us. We are always here for help.

Have a wonderful day.

So basically Anker are fully aware they are selling a faulty product that by their own words cant guarantee it wouldn’t happen to every mars 2. But don’t worry, have a 12 month warranty in case anything (inevitably) goes wrong.

Its disgusting and I expected better from Anker after many many multiple purchases down the years.

This type of selling of products that are known to be faulty is breaking the law. Simple as that.

I signed up to add this and won’t be buying Anker again.

just want to share want anker replied to me.

nikko here

1 Like

other image email.

1 Like

So yeah, I’m back. I did go ahead and buy the discounted refurb unit not quite two years ago, and it hasn’t refused to start up yet, but it is now frequently taking a long time to start up after the shutter is opened, and more often than not randomly doing a shutdown/restart in the middle of watching something (frequently multiple times, until I just give up for the evening).

Does anyone know how the hard reset button on the back is supposed to work? I’ve tried holding it down for ~30s with the projector both on and off, shutter open and closed, while powering up, etc. So far I haven’t managed to trigger an actual factory reset. The other method I’ve seen people posting about, using the remote power buttton and Volume + on the projector, only gets me to an Android error screen.