LC90 able to use AAA adapter?

Has anyone tried using 3-AAA battery adapter in the LC90?

I really like the extra power and focusability(?) of the LC90, but would like the option of using AAA batteries if needed.

I saw these on Amazon, but don’t know the specs, nor the internal battery compartment diameter of the LC90.

https://www.amazon.com/Plastic-3xAAA-Battery-Adapter-Flashlight/dp/B010EZYTT8/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1510501842&sr=8-3&keywords=18650+aaa+battery+holder

In the Q&A, some people have said that as long as the flashlight requires a sleeve over the 18650 battery, this will fit, diameter-wise. But there’s no mention of length.

Just wondering if anybody has any experience they would be willing to share?

Thanks.

No experience with this particular model but as 18650 batteries are a standard size of 18mm x 65mm, I would think any 18650 AAA adapter would meet the same size specs for use with the LC90.

Thanks ndalby.

I take it the LC90 does not require a sleeve on the 18650 battery to prevent it from rattling?

From the pictures and reviews I’ve seen on the LC90, it looks like the battery does not use a sleeve. I believe @nigelhealy has the LC90, perhaps he can confirm?

I’ve got three different 3x AAA adapters from my 18650 torch collection, but none quite fit the LC90 - overall adapter diameter is too big! The LC90 is a snug fit for the 18650…so I doubt any adapter will fit. But happy to be proven wrong!

All my other 18650 torches have a slightly bigger internal barrel diameter, allowing for 18650 or adapter.

1 Like

I do not know about the adapter but I just wanted to pint out that the use of triple A batteries would diminish the amount of light being outputted as well as how long it can sustain a set amount of light. Imo it’s not worth it given what I would use the light for

1 Like

Thanks, Blotch!

Much appreciated.

I’ll probably invest in an extra 18650.

Agreed, elmo41683.

But in a pinch, if my battery is dead and I’m in need of a flashlight NOW, AAA’s would at least get me through the recharge cycle.

Agree with that, I always prefer to use 18650 - the AAA option is backup only (except for LC90!).

You said you have a few adapters, just curious do any of them fit without the need for a sleeve?

None of my adapters fit the LC90 with or without sleeve - LC90 is just too small diameter, designed for 18650 use only. The internal diameter of the LC90 is approx 19mm - most adapters are 21mm plus.

The LC40 has larger internal diameter of approx. 23.5mm - so my adapters do fit and work (although I mainly use 18650).

Correct the LC90 has no sleeve and only uses the supplied protected 18650 battery. The casing is thicker than the LC40 which has either a rattly loose 18650 or the sleeve with AAA.

The newer LC40 comes with a non-replaceable 18650 its a sealed unit (or it feels as such its rigid) and the battery was pre-fitted unlike the Lc90 and LC130 which had in the delivered package a separate battery you fit yourself.

2 Likes

Thank you, nigelhealy, for confirming.

I saw the newer LC40 and LC90’s with built-in batteries, and while I haven’t tried them, I’m not really a fan of the concept.

I’d rather be able to replace batteries every few years when they stop holding a charge, than replace all of my flashlights.

The new LC40 cost me $18.52 total shipped. I expect by the time the battery ages and dies then better light-emitting products will be found. Backed by 18 month warranty I know I’ll get at least 18 months if is not my fault its bust (dropped etc).

But I understand your point, for backup / emergency torches, I do exactly the same as a 5 year old torch bust due to a 5 year old battery with a new battery is still useful.