Jumpstarter questions

This is my home, a place that is usually -20 c/ -4 F for about 40 or more days out of a winter. Then we get the -30 c/-22 F days. Today it is minus 22 but also windy so it feels like minus 35!! Brrr. I drive a short way to drop my son off at school and on the way I notice all the extension cords strung out to the vehicles on the street, then I notice the few cars and trucks with the hood up and nobody around, they are probably waiting for a tow truck boost which can take up to several hours on the coldest days. I keep a spare AGM battery on trickle charge in my garage as I have been caught with a dead battery more than once, however when my or my wife’s vehicle sits at work for 8 or more hours not plugged in that’s when we need some portable boosting assistance.

(Just a bit of information for those who don’t know how cold affects vehicles ability to start. The engine oil turns from syrup into liquid honey consistency and the battery being cold does not output as much current as on warm days. . My Trucks battery is 850 Cold cranking amps but on cold days it turns over very slow which affects its ability to start.)

1.) I want to order the Anker jump starters for both our vehicles but I am patiently waiting for the 600Amp unit to be available again @AnkerOfficial or will the 400 amp one that is available be able to start my 5.7 liter Dodge

2.) Do you think the Anker jump starter, not being liquid filled like AGM, can be kept in the vehicle and retain charge or do I have to bring it in and recharge it every other day when it’s cold? The answer seems obvious to me but I am hoping someone on this forum has done some actual testing as I have so much conflicting results from reading reviews on Amazon.
3.) What is the jump starters composition, is it Lithium Ion? My Makita Lithium Ion battery holds its charge for weeks in the cold but it must be warmed up for it to output any current.

Storing in cold is a good idea

http://batteryuniversity.com/learn/article/how_to_store_batteries

Using at room temperature is best as you said

http://batteryuniversity.com/learn/article/discharging_at_high_and_low_temperatures

A few AMA back, Lawrence said they are changing battery supplier. The Powercore II shows more of a slab shape than the row of round Panasonic 18650B they been using. My theory is this battery source change (which to be honest is most of their hardware product cost) will trickle through with a change Powerhouse, Powercore, the Jump Starter (note: inventory needs to be depleted before you’d see it) and the flatter design is a bit easier to shape the electronics around for the likes of the new Fusion.

1 Like