Issue with newly bought PowerSolar 3-Port 24W

I just got my PowerSolar which I want to use for a 17 day hiking tour. Of course I wanted to test it before but whichever port I use or whatever device I plug in its LED turns red. According to the manual this indicates a problem. Overheating shouldn’t be a problem - the PowerSolar should be able to handle direct sunlight and it wasn’t heated in any other way. The connected devices work correctly with other charging devices, so I assume there might be some sort of short circuit inside the charging component of the PowerSolar. Or did I miss something? The light should stay blue, when charging correctly, right? The red light is pretty dim, so l wondered if it might be a misperception and the ring just seems to be red, although the blue light just did turn off…
Until now I haven’t had any issues with products from Anker, so I hope its just that I misinterpreted the manual… Please help soon, I need the panel by mid june… :wink:

It’s a relatively new product so slim chance anyone else here replies

Email support@anker.com with questions asap, it’s weekend coming.

1 Like

Thanks, I realized that later yesterday, too, but the post still wasn’t approved at that time, so I couldn’t try to close it… Unfortunately it seems to be a not-so-uncommon issue (according to more reviews than I’d like to have read), and I already contacted the seller for a refund.

Hi I’m having a similar issue. I recently bought the powersolar 24W for a trip and I’m having the same issues you have mentnioned. I’ve tried charging a few items, but I don’t seemt to get much more than a few minutes of charging with a blue ring before it turns red, and then the device stops charging.

I was under the impression this red ring meant it was too bring or too hot, but I can only assume this might also include insuffucuent lighting as well?

I’ll hold out for another week or so and see if the better UK weather helps but I’d be interested to know if you have gotten any response from Anker about this or found a solution/reason for this issues?

Hi to repeat the prior post, can owners please get Anker support@anker.com to reply then post the reply here.

So future users can find the answer.

There’s so few owners we can’t really help each other than post what the early users find out.

As someone who doesn’t own this product, I’m going throw just guesses.

• Check all the cables are good on something else (eliminate the cables) use between other than the solar panel.
  • Consider the charging protocols used, there are diverse ones. The manual says red is short circuit, that could mean the device connected doesn’t accept the protocol offered. That can be common as the voltage is not as well regulated, iphones for example often refused to charge off solar.

I see the irony of

24W, 21W and 12W. I suspect what they meant is the 24W is the power of the cells, 21W is the power max theoretical out of the USB ports combined, 12W is per-port max, so chances are it’s similar to the 21W so I’d expect 1 port to be giving 5W to 12W in real life and if using 2 ports up to 14W in real life (perhaps more as it looks bigger).

So I’d be asking if you’re connecting something expecting more than 5W-12W so the voltage is dropping.

I found a manual, if that helps.

https://www.manualslib.de/manual/734675/Anker-A2424.html?page=3#manual

As mentioned the manual states that the red ring means there’s an electrical issue (short circuit etc.) or it’s overheating. Insufficient sunlight would just mean that it just won’t charge whatever you’ve plugged in.

I already got a refund and bought another device.

1 Like

It could well mean other than short circuit, it can mean the device is not accepting the charging protocol, iPhone are notorious for not accepting, the voltage moves a little the iPhone rejects the charge.

Suggest if you want to use solar, to use a simpler older technology, like connect one of the older Powercore to the solar port.

Thanks for the replies. It is an iphone I have tried recently but I am planning on using it to charge my power banks indirectly instead of the phone, so I will try this instead of an iPhone as see what happens.

I’ve also emialed Anker to ask for their insight about it and I’ll reply if and when they do.

What I find odd however if that the red circle is often on even when nothing is plugged in. That would in theory rule out the iPhone as the potential cause of the issue meaning it is more likely the 3 way port?

Just to update you. Anker replied recently with the following:

It seems the red circle may be low solar as well so I am not waiting for better weather so I can test it out, but if not Anker seem happy to replace/refund.

Well at least you didn’t buy from AliExpress :grinning:

You have the advantage here of owning it. I have the predecessor 21W and when I put it out in thin cloud I was getting about 5W enough to charge a phone.

If it can’t do that then either bad design or dud unit.

Hope you get better weather soon so you can test the unit out

Sufficient to charge a basic phone, it should be designed to do it in basically the hours of daylight pointed towards the sun, the clouds don’t reflect all light and 24W should make at least 5W in any conditions outdoors in the daylight hours.

When no clouds, should be up around 14W.

If dabbling with solar, best to invest in a USB meter, as you also need to test all the cables.

1 Like

While they sound interesting I don’t think I’d totally trust one to keep my phone charged for a couple of days, unless it’s an emergency and don’t have Powercore with me

2 Likes

Powercore is the answer, but would like a solar for experimental reasons. Which solar charges a powercore slim 10000 Pd @ikari04warrior

1 Like

I’ve dabbled with solar for decades, right now I use Powercore, it is more reliable. Next trip I’m using two Powercore 20000 PD and recharge them at lunch / pub type opportunities using Nano 18W charger.

I do own currently 2 solar panels, 21W Anker and 19W Choetech for long-term power (zombie apocalypse) but sun is too unreliable and for the size/weight a Powercore is more reliable.

Pretty much the Powercore 20000 PD was the pivot point product, I got mine free, then paid £25, then the Nano 18W charger I got for free then bought 2. Up to that point the 10000 was my best friend but the 20000 PD recharges in less time than the 10000.

2 Likes

If I find a solar cheap enough (to my standards) I’ll get one just to see how good and reliable they are. I go camping every once in a while so I’m interested to see how it would do on a sunny day

1 Like

Remember the DC-DC converter within means smaller panels are useless for more times. It’s not linear.

Half the size of panel is less than half useful.

So if you get a cheap one which is small you’ll falsely conclude ineffective.

The Anker 21W is good, in modest weather 5W in better 10W, in perfect conditions about 14W.

The 14W panel in comparison needs perfect conditions to work. Look at the video they demonstrate the difference. Brand makes less difference than size.

2 Likes

Thanks for the info and video. Guess I’ll have to spend a bit more just to get a decent solar panel :+1: I’ll do some research on it and compare prices if I ever have the need to buy one

I don’t think anyone should buy one now unless it’s for an extended period off-grid.

If you assumed solar 5W for 4 hours per day, that’s 20Wh/day, a 26800 is 100Wh so 5 days, a 26800 easily recharges overnight so you’d need at least that order of time to bother with solar.

They dont age in a draw so a backup has some sense.

For most of the time, 21W solar panel costs around the same as 26800.

I should invest on a powercore 26800 instead then lol