Is the PowerBank 20100 compatible with the Galaxy Note 8?

Hello.

I just got a Samsung Galaxy Note 8, and I need to know if I can use my PowerBank 20100 (model a1271) to safely charge it.

Thank you!

2 Likes

It could charge safely the note 8 but at max speed of 5V-2A (10-12W).

If you want to take advantage of the QC3 in the note 8, you should go for something that have QC3 technology. Few are:

or https://www.anker.com/products/variant/PowerCore-II-20000mAh/A1260011

1 Like

That’s okay, it’s only for emergencies anyway. I just wanted to make sure I could keep using it on my new phone without damaging either.

Thanks a lot for your time!

No risk of damaging your devices with any of Anker’s products! Go PowerIQ!

1 Like

Like @joshuad11, I’d say you’re safe with PowerIQ :stuck_out_tongue:
Even more on the new generation of PowerCore II

Note 8 does not support Q.C. 3.0 tech

It is compatible with QC2.0. there is not much difference between 3.0 and 2.0. Most QC3.0 devices will just backward compatible with 2.0.

Yes, I do know that the S8 and the S8+ is Q.C. 2.0 compatible, although Qualcomm doesnt state that Note 8 is Q.C. 2.0 compatible

However, Note 8 does not have 3.0 and I’ve seen so any articles and confusion about which quick charge version Samsung supports and I just wanted to clarify that Note 8 does not take advantage of Q.C. 3.0

The thread poster shouldnt be misinformed about his/her device. Although it doesnt hurt to get a power bank that is 3.0 capable because of its backward compatibility, the user could also be saving some money buying a powerbank with only 2.0 and a few IQ ports.

There was no misinform here. Instead I think you are trying to misinform user in this case, by telling them to buy QC2.0 only. The reason is: most anker Powerbank supporting QuickCharge (high capacity) are QC3 compatible now. They don’t produce QC2 devices anymore (or phasing them out fast). What are you suggesting is telling users to buy off-the-shelf products.

The differences between 2 and 3 are not that much. All capped at 18W, I am not even sure if a smart phone could take full advantage of QC3. https://www.easyacc.com/media-center/quick-charge-3-0-vs-2-0-vs-1-0/

I am sorry if I interpreted this too literally. It just seemed like you were implying that the Note 8 has Q.C. 3.0 which it doesnt. It also seemed to me that you were suggesting that the user buy one of the power banks IF he/she wanted to take advantage of 3.0, which they cant.

There is nothing wrong with the suggested products, they are all great and they are all backward compatible to Q.C. 2.0

I am simply trying to state that Note 8 cannot charge via Q.C. 3.0 and ultimately cannot take advantage of it.

Sorry for the confusion

Samsung never said its note8 supported QC2 or 3 or 4, officially. It promoted their adaptive charging instead. The QC2 is assumed because the Samsung charger shipped in the note4,5 are QC2, and their adaptive charging worked in those also. If you can find anything officially from Samsung then it will be good.

The Qualcomm chip in note 8 are 835. In the paper, that one supports even the latest QC4. I was hasty when putting 3.0 there, but wasn’t a big deal in the context of customer question and anker lineup. However you went too far and without proper cause. It is not helpful.

Yes I do know that Note 8 is not officially stated as supporting Q.C. 2.0.

And no, I believe it is up to the consumer to buy the product that is needed and their scope shouldnt be to look for Q.C. 3.0 products that could be at a higher price range than a power bank with just Q.C. 2.0

The whole point of me pointing out that Note 8 does not support Q.C 3.0 was because I wanted the poster to be well informed before looking for a product in the future if need be, or potential Note 8 users who reads this post.

There is no guarantee that the poster/reader will buy an Anker product and I would not want them to only focus their scope of product search to power banks with Q.C. 3.0. I would rather them have a well informed search and decision based on price and the value upon research be it a power bank with Q.C. 2.0 or 3.0.

1 Like

You are wrong when you said Note8 was not supporting QC3, if you say so, any Note8 would’t charge with QC3 tech, and would be charging slow. But it will recognize QC3 as “fast charging”. I would only say it won’t work with full QC3 standard due to Samsung implementation:

• You have no evidence to prove your points. Samsung didn’t say anything about their charging tech QC compatibility , and neither Qualcomm.
  • QC3 cover QC2 specs, assuming note 8 supports QC2, when you plug your note8 in a QC3 charger, it will charge at “fast charging rate”. QC3 and QC2 are all maxed out at 18W, the difference are at few stops of voltage, not a different technology.
1 Like

https://www.qualcomm.com/documents/quick-charge-device-list

Please look at the explanation on the bottom of each page. This is simply a matter of black or white. Samsung either has Q.C. 3.0 enabled or disabled, and in this case, Note 8 does not have it enabled…nor does S8 and S8+

They have the necessary chip to do so, but does not enable this for a most likely reason of having to pay licensing fee to enable this feature on their phones. They might be straying away from this tech due to the Note 7 fiasco last year. Who knows? But what it is a fact that Q.C. 3.0 is NOT enabled on any Samsung S8, S8+ and Note 8 products.

It doesn’t matter if the phones have snapdragon 835 that supports up to Q.C. 4.0…Samsung does NOT have this feature enabled and thus ultimately does NOT support Q.C.3.0 charging. It is really as simple as that. It is at their discretion

You missing the key point, which I suggested earlier. I just mentioned a QC3 charger would be reported “fast charging” when using with S8, S8+ and Note8. Not because the phone is lying but it was charged with modes that qualified “fast charging” by Samsung. The word “not supported” must be used carefully.

BTW, The file is for Jun2017, when the note8 wasn’t here, and many Anker and other brand products were not on the list.

Things are simple, but you made it complicated!

Yes because the charger probably is on the compatible list which is towards the bottom.

and the file date is irrelevant. LG V30 is listed on it and the phone was announced during IFA Berlin which was at the end of August. These companies have their processors inside the phone, they have this kind of knowledge beforehand, I wouldnt pay too much attention to when the file was updated

I am not a fan of Qualcomm certification. LG G5, G6 are examples, all are certified with QC3, but they also made it compatible with USB PD. I got a G5 and can use both USB PD and QC3/2 charger to charge it (fast charge). However, QC3 over USB C PD is not supported, and potentially not safe. Only QC4 does. Qualcomm knows this with G5, and still certified G6 and V30.

Yes the power bank is compatible with note 8. You can go with any Anker products as they are always the best. Butas note 8 is compatible Qi wireless charging you should look at some best wireless power bank for Galaxy note 8

Of course Yes, This Anker ultra-high-power bank for Galaxy Note 8 is a flawless choice because of its faster-charging ability due to the 4.8A yield and 20100 PowerCore.