Is Apple no longer shipping iPhones with power adapters?! And other Apple iPhone 12 Speculation

According to many sources, Apple is either considering or definitely shipping iPhone 12 without a power adapter brick.

This would obviously be good news for our favorite tech company. It also seems apple is settling on a 20w standard for iphone 12, which would put lots of anker’s PD and PIQ devices short of the mark - many of these clock in at 18w. Can we expect a compact GaN atom-sized brick for this impending change?

Or does it even matter now that they have wireless charging?

There’s a bunch of crazy stuff to discuss it seems coming with this new iPhone. thought we could use this thread to keep up to date.

Also, a poll:

• I am going to buy an iphone 12
  • I am going to buy an iphone 12 pro
  • I am going to seeif I can get a good deal on one of the iphone 11s
  • I’m sticking with my iphone
  • Apple? Gross.

0 voters

1 Like

It is a very good decision by Apple not to sell Power adapters any more… just environmental waste,

:+1: to Apple for doing it!!

I recently upgraded to 11 Pro, so not planning any upgrades for next 1 year minimum, or 2 years

1 Like

Their latest watches came with no charging brick so I wouldn’t be surprised if they don’t include one with their phones

1 Like

It makes sense because people usually already have an abundance of power bricks just lying around.

1 Like

Fighting hard not to update my 5C, but the battery is suggestion sooner than later… perhaps an SE.

I can understand why no bricks for the 12s going forward. I mean people will have the anker fast charger(s) already :thinking: no need to challenge the ideal.

1 Like

Would agree if Apples ‘environmental’ or ‘design’ decisions were reflected in the price tag…namely lower rather than the inevitable higher :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Yes @ndalby
No price reduction for the lack of charger, that’s not the Apple way.

We still don’t know the price of new iPhone… I wouldn’t really bother for difference in price. ($999 is price for the iPhone… What would the new price without charger be… $979 or $989)

I have iphone cases with charger and Cable intact, untouched… considering that, the bigger picture is no more power adapter.

Now that Apple has started the trend, Google, Samsung, LG and other will follow

It does create business for other companies like Anker to sell more of these chargers.

1 Like

Hopefully Apple won’t put restrictions in place for 3rd party chargers like Samsung has.
Samsung will only charge at its fastest speed with PPS compatible chargers.
Anker only has a couple of these so far and i think only 1 in the UK.

2 Likes

I’m meaning in more generic terms of Apple’s trailblazing standards (their usual ‘brave’ steps) where often the consumer getting less (be it hardware or specs) equates to it still costing more…

I think the wireless charging is killing away the blocks at least from Apple. Makes sense to cut that cost for the company and try to sell wireless charging separately.

As for the poll, definitely sticking with my iPhone 11 for awhile :slight_smile:

Not a supporter of Apple for their exuberant prices… but they have some crazy prices on all of the items, but I feel the iPhones and Apple Watches are priced OK (though on higher side) , there are options for users looking for lower end like the iPhone SE or the newer Apple Watch SE…

The price is not bad, compared to the support for OS and security updates they provide (5 year or more for older models)

Have Apple iPhone 11 Pro and Android budget model Google Pixel 3a … best of both worlds… so there are options…

If Apple skips the charger… there is high possibility of Google skipping the charger on Pixel 5a or whatever they call…

While they are at it they should remove the little wired earbuds as well.

1 Like

I really like this idea :grinning::ok_hand::+1::+1:

1 Like

So there’s still hope for mankind.

1 Like

Because the majority is still sane? :wink: I’m a full-time iOS user and a full-time Android user. In my opinion, Apple hardware and software are clearly more polished. And developing for Android is a nightmare compared to developing for iOS. However, from the user’s perspective, the differences are minimal.

Back on topic, this is a great move if true. Even if this is not true for the iPhone 12, this is inevitable.

They do appear to be lowering the price of entry here. That could partly be a result of leaving the brick out. But if the new iPhones really to take 20w then most of Anker’s stuff will charge slowly, or at least more slowly than apple’s model. I think they are removing the wired buds too, which opens up more room for Soundcore in that space.

Anker PowerPort Nano III (20W) is in the works and believe will be released almost along with Apple iPhone 12 ( @Insider will post it anyway :wink: )

2 Likes

The difference between 18W and 20W in real world application is negligible. We’re talking ~5 minutes quicker to get to ~80%, after which most trickle charge anyway.

IMO, manufacturers (Apple, Google, Samsung, everyone else) should really focus on 45W now, then get to 60-100W in the next few years.