iPad Pro Fast Charging

I have noticed many requests on this forum that Anker make and sell a Lightning to USB-C cable, so, for instance, they can charge their phone with their MacBook. Also, there is lots of speculation that the new iPhone may ship with this cable and a USB-C power adapter, while retaining a lightning port on the phone itself. Personally, I agree with this theory. Here is why:

As most of you probably know, Apple already sells a Lightning to USB-C cable. What you probably didn’t know is that cable is intended to be used with the 12.9-inch iPad Pro (NOT THE 9.7-INCH ONE). This is because that iPad is their only iOS product that support USB 3.0 speeds (the rest are 2.0). What this means is that your iPad Pro, paired with THIS AC power adapter, so many users could already take advantage of this cable if Anker made it. There is a reason.

Can a lightning port handle USB-C power?

1 Like

It isn’t the port, its the cable. If you have a thin cable you must use high voltage to reduce cable losses, then its a step-down bigger step so then more heat inside the Apple device. If you though use higher amps then more loss in the cable.

The relatively thin usa mains power cable is because its high voltage, but you get the sparks as you plug in/out, you’d not want that on a phone I suspect.

1 Like

No only the 12.9" iPad Pro can.