Ipad pro 12.9" 2018 - Help

Err hello genius land, I am going to be honest up front I haven’t got a clue what all these techie answer mean so can I ask a very simple question hoping for a very simple answer. I have bought an iPad Pro 12.9" 2018. I use it mainly for artistic endeavours. When using Procreate I and many more users are only getting 4Hrs use per charge. I currently use an Anker Astro E1 External Battery my son bought me (some time back) to extend the working time but even that seems to struggle to power the machine as I use it. The simple question is : Is there a power bank / external battery that can provide more power and longer working time that is suitable for the iPad Pro please. BTW when I say simple perhaps a little more than yes or no answer a recommendation would be welcome. Many thanks in advance

The 2018 iPad Pros can draw up to 35W using USB-C PD. The Astro E1 you have is only providing up to 7.5W using older USB tech. That is why you see run time extended, but the iPad’s battery continues to drain.

There are several options for keeping up with your iPad Pro’s needs. Or even charging it while you work.

Anker PowerCore 10000 PD - Provides up to 18W, same as the iPad Pro’s included charger. See my review.

Anker PowerCore Speed 20000 PD - Provides up to 24W, so faster than the included charger. And twice the run time of the 10000 PD. Also includes a 30W USB-C PD wall charger. Good for charging the power bank or iPad. See my review.

Anker PowerCore+ 26800 PD - Provides up to 30W, nearing the max power draw of the iPad Pro. And as high as any Anker power bank goes. Offers the most run time and still legal for all US flights. Also includes a 30W USB-C PD wall charger. Good for charging the power bank or iPad. See my review.

There are additional options, but these are your best picks in each capacity range IMO. All three include a USB-C to USB-C cable you can use with the iPad Pro.

4 Likes

Anker PowerCore+ 26800 PD with 30W Power Delivery Charger, Portable Charger Bundle for MacBook Air / iPad Pro 2018, iPhone XS Max / X / 8, Nexus 5X / 6P, and USB Type-C Laptops with Power Delivery https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01MZ61PRW/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_0irEDb7GVM9JZ

This should work for you

1 Like

Two separate dimensions, capacity and capability.

Your iPad is draining its internal battery at a rate less than its recharge capability. You can calculate this yourself, divide the iPad battery size by time til empty, you’ll get some Watt number.

Any external battery at least that number will keep your charge level roughly the same to better. Consider going for a lower cost Powercore and plug it I at the start.

I don’t know iPad but I have a Huawei tablet similar in size, it has a 9000mAh cell 3.7V and lasts about 6 hours, so I know it is drawing 1.5A 3.7V. So say a 2A 5V Powercore is sufficient to keep it charged. It’s own charger is 9V 2A 18W but that allow to recharge while in use.

So you have a choice, in my case let the tablet drain then plug in a expensive 18W Powercore, or plug in a lower cost 10W Powercore earlier.

2 Likes