【Important Community Notice】Chinese Spring Festival

Dear Anker fans,

Due to the upcoming Chinese New Year and Spring Festival (the most important holiday of the year for your friends in this part of the world), we will be out of the office from Feb. 15th through Feb. 21st. Expect limited replies from the Community staff and support team during this time.

You might be wondering: what exactly will I be doing during the Spring Festival holiday? Well, there’s always a big family reunion involving lots of traditional activities, many of which have been going on in some form or another for over 4,000 years.

Deck the Halls

If there’s a Chinese New Year celebration near you, expect to see lots of red everywhere you look! Red is a traditionally important color in Chinese culture, symbolizing life, health, and prosperity. We may also welcome in the new year’s blessings by hanging the character 福 (fu, meaning “good luck”) outside of our doors and windows.

Show Me the Money!

We love giving presents to our family and friends when we get together for our New Year’s Eve celebrations, but instead of buying gifts ourselves, we just give money!

There are some special rules for this, with the money being presented as crisp, new bills inside a traditional red envelope (红包, hongbao).

Light Up the Sky

Though we’ll be back to work by then, the festivities officially conclude on March 2nd, with Lantern Festival celebrations occurring all around the world.

What do you know about Chinese New Year customs? Can you find any Chinese decorations or gatherings going on in your neighborhood? Show us some pictures if you can, and let us know your thoughts!:grin:

Best Wishes for the Year of Dog,
The Anker Team

17 Likes

can’t wait for the Chinese New Year. Normally we just do hot pot since it’s easier and less stressful and it’s a longer meal that the kids will sit through.

4 Likes

Haha yes, it’s warmer to eat hot pot in winter too!:heart_eyes:

2 Likes

If we’re friends I’m expecting a red envelope :joy::joy::joy:just Kidding

2 Likes

:laughing::laughing::laughing:
If community have hongbao function, I think I will send to you!

2 Likes

Happy Chinese New Year! @AnkerOfficial

2 Likes

Happy Chinese New Years!

I admit I don’t know much about the culture, but I am learning! One of my friends just invited me to her brothers wedding last week and it was a Chinese wedding. That was a really fun experience!

Take it easy, and enjoy your time with your families! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

First off, Happy Chinese New Year and New Year. :slight_smile:

When I was growing up in Chinatown, Los Angeles, CA., I remember getting red envelopes, the smell of firecrackers, Lion Dancing visiting businesses to wish them a happy and prosperous New Year, and lots of eating with family and friends. We even had a Chinese New Year Parade in which I took part in with my Kung Fu group. It was a lot of fun. Streets would be packed with people watching the parade. Shops would have Lion Dancers blessing their shops and they would hang red envelopes on their doorway. Firecrackers would be going off everywhere you turned. The smell of burning incense. Streets littered with red firecrackers, red envelopes, and even red candy. For kids, it’s like Christmas…except you got money. :wink: And if you had a lot of family, extended family, etc., you thought you were rich. :stuck_out_tongue: :stuck_out_tongue: :stuck_out_tongue:

Happy New and Prosperous Chinese New Year to Anker and the Anker family. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Thank you. :grin:

2 Likes

Thank you for the wishes, and, most Chinese have western wedding nowadays.

But more and more people are going back the traditional ways. :grin:

3 Likes

Did you get any envelope? :grin:

Yes, I think it’s exactly like Christmas! Christmas is a huge holiday in China too, but the Spring Festival is the most important one that everyone, from the kids to the old, celebrates. We are so excited already!

4 Likes

Happy Chinese New Year @AnkerOfficial and the rest of the team :tada:

Have a wonderful happy time and relax :heart:

I don’t know much about the celebrations only that my local Chinese Takeaway closes up for a month and travels back to China to be with family xxx

And I was born in the Year of the Rat :mouse:

3 Likes

Happy Chinese New Year @AnkerOfficial and all the Anker Team :tada::tada::tada:

3 Likes

Happy Chinese New Year…did you now I am also part Chinese? It’s True I am, and while we do not go to China to celebrate or follow traditional celebrations we do do our own thing.
Every year we gather together and mom makes Chinese food. When she’s done it gets distributed among each of us and we say what we are thankful for and what are hopes or wishes are for the year…at the end we light the candles and send off our rice paper lanterns.

As a kid I remember watching the parades and always wishing I was part of the crew that manipulated the dragon serpents, I would then picture the dragons visiting and keeping everyone sane and on the right track of being good. Haha oh how I love this time of the year. Anyway happy new year!!!

Btw, I was born the year of the Bore

5 Likes

Happy Chinese New Years to all Anker team :wink:

2 Likes

Enjoy your well earned rest!

Wouldn’t it make sense to suspend next weekend’s Power Draw as it doesn’t seem fully automatic?

3 Likes

Happy Chinese New Year

1 Like

Happy Chinese New Year, Anker team! I’m always fascinated by the stories of the celebration I hear from my friends in China. It sounds amazing!

2 Likes

Happy Spring Festival and Happy Chinese New Year! What year is it for you?

This was by far the most interesting post I’ve read in this community - and it’s filled with interesting stuff! I always knew the forum was managed by people in China, but this somehow made me feel closer. I love learning about other place’s traditions, and though I fear a little for the fire hazard, I would very much like to see the Lantern Festival - I was actually expecting one to happen around Montreal last year but the fire department wouldn’t allow it regardless of the security measures and specially designed lanterns the organizers presented.

I might go check our Little China, it’s certainly dressed for the occasion.

How do I say “Happy new year” in mandarin? :thinking:

4 Likes