Identifying the technology for quick charging the Powercore II 20000

I’m ready to purchase a bundle of items to change up my charging lifestyle.

I’m wanting to pair the new Powercore II 20000 with a wall or desktop PowerPort. The ultimate goal is for the PowerPort to stay put at home in a useful area and the PowerCore II 20000 to always be on the go with me. Before placing my order I’m trying to clear up confusion in my head on the differences between IQ2.0 and QC3.0…

Can someone help me understand what each technology (IQ2.0 and QC3.0) does for me?

Or confirm the pairing I need to be able to quick charge iPhone 8 and also take advantage of quick charging the Powercore itself? Do I need certain cables to take advantage of this process or does the Powercore’s included Micro-USB handle these functions as intended?

Thanks in advance!

Christian

Christian,

Glad to hear your interested in purchasing Anker products! I think we can all agree that Anker’s product line can be quite confusing, especially for new customers.

I think the PowerCore II 20000 is a great power bank, but it will not provide fast charge to your iPhone (it won’t be slow, though).

As far as differences between IQ2 and QC3, really the only difference is that IQ2 is cheaper for Anker because it is not certified by Qualcomm. It still provides the same charging speeds as QC3, though.

The ideal pairing with PowerCore II 20000 would be an IQ2 PowerPort, but unfortunately, Anker has stated that these are not coming out until sometime in 2018. To take full advantage of recharging your PowerCore the fastest, you would need a QC3 PowerPort.

To fast charge your iPhone 8, you would need the PD spec, which is not related to QC3 or IQ2.

At the moment, Anker does not offer a charger of any kind that would be capable of outputting PD and QC3/IQ2.

As far as the cables, the included cables in all of Anker’s products will be able to take advantage of the fastest possible charge in most cases.

May I ask, do you own any quick charge enabled products, or is it just the PowerCore you’d be looking to charge with QC3?

If you do not own any other QC enabled products, I may not even recommend the PowerCore II 20000 considering your situation with your iPhone.

If you don’t mind the higher pricetag, I would honestly probably recommend the PowerCore Speed 20000 PD. A PD enabled wall charger comes included, however it is only a 1 port.

If you wish to have an additional desktop charger, there is this, which has 1 PD port (capable of fast charging your PowerCore Speed 20000 PD and iPhone 8) and 4 regular USB ports.

You will also need a USB-C to Lightning cable to take advantage of the fast charging for your iPhone.

The big downside to going this way is that these three things would cost you about $200 with tax.

A slightly cheaper solution would be to go with the PowerCore II 20000, PowerPort Speed 2, and PowerPort Speed 5 PD if you don’t care about fast charging your iPhone on the go.

Hope this helps clear up some of the confusion and please reach out if you have any more queries!

3 Likes

Thanks a ton for that wealth of info. Obviously it has sparked some additional questions.

Currently using iPhone 7 Plus—looking to upgrade to 8/X within 3-6 months. Fast charging of the devices is not a high priority in the bundle I’m trying to compile.

I think I’m going to drop the need for fast charge of devices… in this case, what’s the cheapest PowerCore with two USB outs and Wall/Desk charger that will fast charge the PowerCore itself?

Prefer to stick with PowerCore II 20000 because of the current offer on Anker’s website, but I don’t mind buying a PowerPort from wherever to find the right item…

Additional question is do you know the length of the Micro-USB included with the PowerCore?

Christian

Unless you have a few devices that use QC 3.0. I would say skip it entirely. Especially if you use iOS/Apple devices.

In my personal opinion it would be wise to invest in usb-c chargers, and battery banks that use Power Delivery PD. Since all future Apple devices will use it. I predict most future flagship devices will use it as well.

Also power IQ 2.0 is just ankers own little work around needing to get thier devices Qualcomm certified, but still have them be compatible with QC devices.

I think that’s a good choice to drop the fast charge requirement. PowerCore II 20000 and both of the chargers I refer to below will still chare your iPhone drastically faster than the included 5W power brick Apple provides.

I’d still recommend the PowerPort Speed 2 to fast charge the power bank.

Amazon
(Not available on the Anker Store at the moment)

If you want more ports and in a desktop charger format, then the PowerPort Speed 5 would be a great choice.

Amazon
Anker Store

The included micro-USB cable with the PowerCore is about 2 feet in length.

Let us know what you decide on!

I have decided on:

PowerCore II 20000
PowerPort Speed 5
PowerLines
2 x 1FT Lightning (for PowerCore)
2 x 6FT Lightning (for PowerPort)
2 x 6FT Micro-USB (for PowerPort)

$122 Shipped

1 Like