How much storage space is too much?

How about Thunderbolt 3 and PD input?

It all depends on the deal. Costco is supposed to have $300 off MS Surface Pro, so if I were to jump on that deal, itā€™ll just be USB 3.0 :smiley:

My biggest hard drive is 10Tb, with a bunch of smaller 4/5Tb and even1 to 2 tbsp. Each with a purpose, but it still feels like too much. I guess if I didnā€™t have it I would be crying I need more space. Should Just be happy with what I got t

2 Likes

Regarding my phoneā€¦

I have a 16GB iPhone 5s still on iOS 9.3.5 with 7.0GB available ā€¦personally for me, 16GB is more than enough.

1 Like

I have kept those low capacity sticks. :grin:

When listening music with my old SONY stereo its useful to have such ā€œsmallā€ ones. Better to change these stick quickly, than to flip through sticks with huge capacity. Using remote control this is incredible slow.

The Thinkpad T410s I use has 128 GB SSD (80GB music) and the old IPOD (1. generation has 32GB .This was incredible a lot for those times I got this in the office) Both are working fine, though screen of the IPOD shows some weird ā€œanomaliesā€ now.:grin:

For backups I use an external disc 500 GB.
Thats all.

1 Like

What handset do.you have?

Good call on using lower capacity sticks for music as it saves you from having to ā€œjogā€ through the files and directories. I personally have about 4- 512mb flash drives and a handful of other for various types of music as well. I can literally just plug it into my radio and listen as needed, I hate Cdā€™s as they often got heat damaged from being left in the car all the timeā€¦or as I like to call it tattoos

1 Like

My LG G4 has 32 GB internal, 96% full with just apps that refuse to move to my SD card. When you factor in the fact that 50% of it is the operating system alone, anything less than 32GB is asking for storage issues for the life of the phone.

Note 8 32gb

Thatā€™s a lot of apps. Do you use them all? :smiley:

Iā€™ve got the 32GB pixel and I never have a problem with space. Just like I never had a problem with space on my 16gb Nexus 4, or 5xā€¦

Itā€™s all about how you use things that determines how much space you need.
I store one play list of music (around 150 songs) on my phone locally, and that is pretty much it. I use google photos as this automatically backs up all the photos on my phone. When Iā€™m running low on space I simply run the assistant to free up space and voila, I have space again.
All my important documents are held in the cloud rather than on my phone. Iā€™ll temporary download things if I am travelling abroad or know Iā€™ll be somewhere with sketchy signal.

At home Iā€™ve got a 2tb raid set up that is about 65% photos and videos with another 30% being games. Iā€™ll be increasing this to 6 or possibly 12tb in the next month or so. However this is heavily managed, I only keep what I need or could be useful in future. Crappy videos and photos get binned. There is not point in wasting storage space in my opinion.
I manage reasonably large volumes of data as part of my job, itā€™s infinitely annoying when I find someone is keeping multiple copies of the same thing, even though we run shadow copies 4 times a day and daily backups!
This is only a small handful of volumes that get backed up daily at my work -
It is only really thanks to duplication technology (loosely - if a file has already been backed up, it is not backed up again) that volumes of data like this can be backed up successfully each and every night.

Not managing files by simply hording everything (cause it might be important in 10 years time!) or keeping multiple copies of the same thing is a major pet hate of mine :smiley_cat:

1 Like

Hmm, I think once I move come August and I have an actual computer room I will go through all my hard drives and get rid of s ok many copies of the same files.
I know for a fact I can easily clear 2Tb of space from old hard drives, but my current main cluster is literally free of duplicate files. Video files are only saved if recorded in 1080P or higher resolution, with the exception of 1 music video that was recorded off the Tv.

The amount of storage space you managed for your job @Arwen is insane, so you just monitor the backups or do you have to file search as well?

Are you using a usb-c /usb 3 lead?

Does your lappy/desktop have a usb 3 slot? If so, use it, itā€™ll make such a difference.

The phone comes with such a lead, so unless thereā€™s a problem lead (try a 2nd to find out), then slowness is down to your home device.

USB 3.0 (left port of my Thinkpad). OEM cable that came with the Note 8. Type-C. USB 3.0 drivers are installed. I have thumbnails set to medium size.

Pokemon go and a golf game i play is 4gb. Add that to the android OS monopolizing 16gb and i have 12 remaining. Most in depth apps use almost a gb anymore, i cant even load most of the ones i use. 32Gb just too small

It can be really time consuming to go through all your files and declutter. But it is worth it! Youā€™ll end up being much more efficient when you use the pc every day. For example Any files I download get chucked into one folder on my desktop. If I need to reuse that file it then gets moved elsewhere, otherwise, after a month of so it gets deleted :slight_smile:

I manage storage and backups at my work along with most of the other core IT infrastructure services. On a monthly cycle we back up hundreds of terabytes of ā€œworkingā€ data. It can be a headache at times, but it is immensely satisfying when you transfer 32tb of data to a new 64tb SAN without your users even noticing a brake in access :smile_cat:

2 Likes

If you have extra storage space, at least on a computer, definitely make at least 3 backups. I had a hard drive failure and lost ALL my data (paid programs, photos, OS) right after I deleted my backups, thinking my new-ish system was fine.

Hereā€™s a hint- donā€™t use 7 year old hard drives with ~20,000 hours on them. Also, if your computer makes a loud clunking sound and restarts on its own, something might be wrong.

(I have since upgraded to an m.2 SSD and everything runs flawlessly. Yay!)

I think 128gb is a good compromise on space and price. By the time 128 gb becomes standard storage, it will be time to replace the phone.

Iā€™m currently still rocking a 128gb iPhone 6s, decided not to upgrade to the 8/X when contract was up last year. Every time I upgraded previously I always went for the higher capacity available just to be safe and never have any storage issues.
But I have a ā€œnewā€ (used but fantastic condition) 32gb iPhone 7 that I could upgrade to if I want. So Iā€™m currently trying to see if I could cope with downgrading my storage capacity. After offloading the apps I donā€™t use and deleting pics/vids I donā€™t need, Iā€™m down to using about 28gb. I could gain a few more gb by utilising iCloud for the remaining pics/vids.

But even at that Iā€™m still not sure if I wanna swap devices - do the upgrades outweigh the loss of storage :thinking:

For both my iPad Air and iPad Pro I have 32gb variants and that is more than enough for what I use them for.

I have a few older external hard drives with about 4-5TB on them (movies etc) but I havenā€™t looked at them in years so could just as easy delete and get rid of them.

Thatā€™s it. People store and store and storeā€¦
And NEVER use it!

Same is with storing things in the house.
Those things you havenā€™t need for about 10 years you can get rid of.
But after having put those in the garbage YOU NEED THEM!:fearful:

Thats life!

1 Like