Here’s why Apple’s iPad Pro dumped Lightning for USB-C

5 Likes

It took too long but I’m glad they switched. USB-C is very fast and will be/is universal

2 Likes

MacBook✔️
iPad✔️
iPhone❌

Two down one to go.

4 Likes

Now that apple seem destined to finally adopt USBC , perhaps the leads will become more freely available? And maybe cheaper, as more flood the market?

Also, it may stop the mfi certified crap too. I know most of it was due to nasty leads n chargers were causing fires, with apple.getting the blame.

Just because Sony n Samsung has usbc, it wasn’t enough for cable makers to make lots, perhaps now they will

3 Likes

Yep…though based on Apple’s line up, it will no doubt become available on only the latest new handset they come up with next Sept to force an upgrade to it…I would be surprised (well really doubt) they will apply it to all there top tier handsets at the time of introduction such as say the iPhone 8 upwards…

3 Likes

I still think Apple will keep Lightning on the iPhone.

1 Like

Imagine that, one cable working on all your devices, regardless of the manufacturer…

5 Likes

Except for Anker. Their audio products will still be using Micro USB in 2020.

5 Likes

I remember in 2000, when more manufacturers popped up making phones. You had a different cable on each make, with some having more than one (even king.of mobiles Nokia had 2 different pin sizes). iPhone wasn’t even a stuffy in Steve’s dreams!

There was talk amongst most tech blogs at the time, that it was time all mobiles had the same connector. 18 years later, and it’s still a dream. Oh well, no change there! lol :crazy_face:

2 Likes

Apple uses some sort of authentication chip on their lightning cable. How will they handle 3rd party USB-C cable?

2 Likes

Probably do something similar, Google found a way to enable a hand shake via wireless charging to cap it at 5w unless they have been AFG…approved for google charger. So I can see Apple doing similar to keep that revenue stream coming

2 Likes

Apple will keep the lightening port for near future, removing this would mean a lot of unhappy customers on top of the 3.5mm audio jack debacle, and also the revenue with the MFi certification and royalty $$$$

1 Like

Hey, the Capsule II sports an USB-C for charging. So… There’s hope? :neutral_face:

3 Likes

Next time :upside_down_face:

1 Like

I disagree. I think that they are running out of new things to put on their devices, so they will now have to find “new” things to put on, and usb c pushes the industry forward, while fitting right in with Apple’s “revolutionary” marketing.

2 Likes

Right??? So hyped all day yesterday!!!

Lol, probably

1 Like

It’s about to happen ma man. It’s gonna be great.

They won’t. Just use any of them. At least that’s my guess.

No. Anker will be using micro usb in 4762.

1 Like