Help deciding on a power bank

My iPad Air 2 isn’t holding a charge like it used to, so I’d like to buy a power bank for travel. I’m hoping I can get some clarification on a few things:

1. For my purposes-mainly backup power source for an iPad Air 2 and maybe charging Bose bluetooth headphones(USB-C)-what would be the difference between

PowerCore 10000 PD Redux & PowerCore 10000 PD

also between the Powercore Slim 10000 A1229011 and A1231011 (aired from the form factor)

1. Do all of these devices require a 18W USB PD charger for quick charging?

2. Can anyone recommend an inexpensive small 18W USB PD charger for this purpose.

Thanks!

1 Like

Hey @Fred_Vigdor
I use and recently reviewed the 10000 Slim PD take a look at the review here;

It will charge via USBC or normal USB, USBC will charge it in a 3rd of the time and will go from empty to full in about 3.5hrs.

I use and can recommend the Powerport III Mini as a cheap, small quick charger;

I hope that helps.

PowerCore 10000 PD vs PowerCore 10000 PD Redux

• Both offer 18W USB-C PD and a USB-A port
  • Same capacity
  • Same included accessories
  • PD can offer 18W USB-C PD while USB-A port is also in use
  • Redux loses fast charging capabilities if both ports are in use
  • Redux offers 5V/2.4A via USB-A (better for your iPad), PD offers 5V/2A

Typically the PD is preferred to the Redux. While the Redux can charge your current iPad a bit faster via USB-A it lose its advantage whenever you end up wanting to charge a newer device with USB-C PD support.

PowerCore Slim 10000 vs PowerCore Slim 10000 PD

• Same capacity
  • Slim outputs via USB-A port and has a micro-USB and USB-C ports for input only (charging power bank)
  • Slim PD outputs 18W USB-C and USB-A, as well as recharges itself via USB-C
  • The Slim PD is akin to the PD and PD Redux above, while the non-PD is older USB-A tech only

They all use 18W USB-C PD to fast charge the power banks. You can use a USB-A wall charger and USB-C to USB-A cable. It’ll increase charge time, depending on the charger. For an 18W USB-C PD wall charger look at the PowerPort PD 1 or PowerPort III Nano. Same performance with the above power banks. PD 1 is bigger, but has folding prongs. III Nano is smaller with fixed prongs. And supports Quick Charge devices.

For an iPad 10,000mAh isn’t a lot. It won’t fully charge the iPad’s own battery (about 0.75 of original capacity). If you only need to get an extra couple of hours it may be fine. Otherwise considering moving up to a 20,000mAh model.

I have an Anker power bank buying guide you may also find helpful.

1 Like

Thanks very much. Very helpful!

1 Like