Happy New Year! Now let’s talk CES…

Blast from the past :sunglasses::laughing::smirk::smile:

1 Like

CES is probably getting too big. Once upon a time electronics were in just a few items (radio, TV… gramophone…) now its in so many things its almost basically everything which is not food or stone.

What I think is the most technology challenging area is very small items such as wearables, you’re in a very demanding corner of needing a small battery to make it lightweight but consumers wanting hours of usage.

Tablets have become polarized into not far off free ones subsidized by advertisements (Amazon, you know who you are!) for lightweight media / gaming and basically the iPad. Phones have become huge and eroded the tablet market, 6" phones now flagship so who needs also a 7" tablet. The huge phone then competes in sports situations and that then is opening up the smart watch market.

So I see smart watches, smart glasses coming fore, and I see LTE getting into more items. LTE laptops.

The biggest threat to technology innovation are barriers to movement of people and goods. Nationalism is not internationalism and a genius does not choose their parents hence their race or nationality and to have an old man (typically) deciding where you can live and work is not the future.

3 Likes

Improve Anker PowerCore AC to compete with the OmniCharge 3.0 :slight_smile:

1 Like

I very fondly recall my DiscMan! Kind of a pain to hold while running though.

I’m apparently a little older than you and I’m in the generation where we bought all our music three times. First as vinyl, then as cassettes, and then a third time as CDs. :confused:

Wish I’d kept the vinyl at this point, but I didn’t. I do still have all the CDs and continue buying them for anything I really love. Just finally tossed the DiscMan Sport during my last move 3 years ago!

2 Likes

When I went off to college, my Discman was one thing I made sure to bring with me. Having it hooked up in the car via the cassette deck was completely useless, though.

2 Likes

This had never crossed my mind before, but I’m 100% on board with it.

1 Like

I remember having a yellow and black discman that was shockproof… I also remember complaining that one of my favorite albums wasn’t on CD but 8 track, I cried when my father told me he got rid of the 8 track player and just about all the albums we had. I’m on 35 but I remember using it all from 8 track to cassette to CD to minidisc and laserdisc

1 Like

I can’t seem to get mine working. I have 2 genie’s but when I say drop in it says the only device set up for messaging is my phone. But I can’t seem to find any info on how to set it up. It also does not show the multi room audio option on my Alexa app.

I wonder if it’s because you’ve also got an echo for that it works.

Haha yes one like that would be a good start lol

1 Like

Sony did this ages ago, but the rear speakers ate the batteries.

Being born in 69, I used all that stuff, but did t turn on a computer until March 1992. I started an NVQ (vocational training) course in IT (I got a distinction).

After this I got a job for a very.large international company. I then realised on day 1, that it wasn’t word perfect I’d used in training, but word star. So I had to print 120 pages of help files, and learn. WordPerfect pretty quickly. lol

I remember in late 80s, going to a well known high end entertainment shop (sold spkrs, amps, preamps etc) and asking for a video disc (it preceded the dvd and console of today), I’d seen on tomorrow’s world.

I chewed so many y tapes on my Walkman, that I got a discman, then found d that was worse, then got a shock proof discman… It wasn’t shockproof. I skipped dac tapes, as by the time I knew what they were, portables disc players were arriving.

I’m in on this one!!!

1 Like

And If it made tea

So a wireless charger bedside teasmaid lamp. 2019!

:electric_plug:

3 Likes

I think Smart components still have along way to go.

Im not much of a sound person myself but cant wait for my Nebula to get delivered!!

Maybe smaller batterys, perhaps flat, everybody still needs charge constantly!!

1 Like

A usb c to lightning cables, I have many lightning cables from Anker. I now have a MacBook pro with usb c’s and want to do fast charging with iphone

2 Likes

Finally the Model Zero+ :heart_eyes:

Already in amazon

Wireless Lamp Charger, LED Wireless Charging Lamp with USB Charging Port, 4 Lighting Modes, dimmer Control, and Touch Technology | Tech Toys

And many more

That must be the reason.

Also I have never seen the multi-room audio option pop up but that might require you to first make a group in the Alexa app with speakers that you want to play simultaneously.

1 Like

Listen I don’t care if other companies make one, I want one from Anker

I would love to see a 10k powerbank with an Apple Watch charging pad, PD, and an IQ port. That would be perfect for me for frequent traveling.

1 Like

Ditto.

This idea has come up a few times recently by various users. I’ll say what I’ve said in the past I would love to see a 10k or 13k power core with type-C PD like you said and a wireless pad and wireless receiver pad.

Other users have brought up potential issues with heat buildup and Battery degradation. I would have happily trade the 18-month warranty for a shorter 12-month warranty to have a power bank with these features.

1 Like