Fitness tracker

If you are looking for no frills, reliable operation for fitness/heart rate, i dont know if anything really beats a fitbit. As you add abilities, bells and whistles your battery inevitably starts lasting less and less.

2 Likes

MY advice is to save your money. Use how breathless you are as your indicator of being in the cardio zone, it is more accurate than a heart rate monitor. As a guide, try to talk if you find you can’t easily due to needing to get air, then you’re in the zone. The heartrate which matches that is person specific which is why a heartrate monitor is of little value.

Use a stop watch to measure elapsed time over a regular route.

If you use your breath as a guide then you’ll increase your fitness quick enough.

I don’t know your age but the usual problem is not the immediate next step but you will have plateau effects where some part of your body will be a little slower than the other parts to strengthen and your performance will not improve for a period while that part improves then you’ll get a breakthrough. So the issue with being micro-detailed with fitness trackers is you get despair in those plateau periods so cause the opposite of what you want of giving up. So to you avoid that, it is best to NOT measure yourself too detailed.

There are tiers of systems inside your body which strengthen at different speeds. The first one is skeletal muscle which thickens up in the order of a couple of weeks. They are refreshed via your liver which has to physically alter itself which takes a couple of months (known as developing endurance).

I also recommend you don’t micro-monitor your weight, because one of the initial effects of exercise is the muscles thicken up (many reasons, like more sugar is stored inside your muscles) so your weight will go UP at times. It will drop overall but on a week by week basis you may find weeks it goes up as your body adapts to a new habit.

1 Like

Sounds like a lot of voices recommending the Apple watches. :grin:

Well, I have a HUAWEI smart watch. It was a gift from a friend. At first, I’m excited to see how many steps I walk each day, but I soon lost interest, because I take the phone with me every day, so there is really not much use for that. And it also works as bluetooth earphone When driving, or having my hands occupied to grab the phone. However, as I really don’t have much phone calls, and it needs to charge like every 4 days, maybe. So I just left it somewhere, and only thought of it until I see this topic…

Oh, by the way, it also tracks how many hours I sleep at night or when I take a nap in the afternoon. And it reminds me to stand up and stretch myself when I’ve been sitting for over 1 hour. I should probably find it and charge it after work today…

4 Likes

Normally use my iPhone to give me a rough figure of steps per day (as it’s mainly in my back pocket) but as much as I’ve considered pulling the trigger on an Apple Watch, I’ve not been able to justify the cost but also whether it’s accurate enough for it’s cost.

I’ve tried a few wrist based heart rate monitors in the past but unless you have a secure connection to your skin for the sensor (which I’ve never managed to get) your never going to get a true reading. Using a Wahoo chest strap for workouts / heart rate and my iPhone for average steps per day is holding me well for the moment but I would welcome an Anker Eufy option, hint hint :grin:

4 Likes

I have friends who say they are a gimmick and don’t use them and like you said best way is healthy well balanced diet and exercise.

But I have friends on the other hand who enjoy the tech element and setting goals, with the devices giving reminders / prompts.

I’m 32, 6”7 and in excess of 25 stone. Working in an office means that I’m spending most of my working day sitting at a desk. I’m planning on moving in the next couple of months and joining a local gym. So in the mean time was thinking a fitness tracker might help achieve goals/targets.

As I’m typing this I just got a text from a friend saying “Give me £100 and il text you every night “GO FOR A WALK YOU LAZY *******”” lol

4 Likes

Not a bad idea. I currently have an older Apple Watch and couldn’t be more happy with it. However, my friend just got the Nike+ version for Christmas and he never seems to take it off!

The Apple Watch is a great device. It along with the phone measures all my steps and stair climbs etc. Add MyFitnessPal to the mix to track nutrition and now the bodysense smart scall to add weight, body fat etc and I All the info Is there to analyse and adjust. I’m no big fitness freak but want to lose a stone maybe. The treadmill is set up now and the Mrs has been on it. So with all this I’ll hipefilly enjoy the next few weeks

I do find “Closing the Rings” on the iOS Activity app a cool challenge and have in the past just walked around the house for 20 minutes because I’ve been a lazy sod all day hahah

You could do this without the watch of course. Your iPhone will track all of this minus the heart rate which I never use if I’m honest.

When I was on form

Recently

BodySense Scale

3 Likes

I’m a little biased with Fitbit. They are pioneers and made fitness trackers sexy again.
With apple watch one most annoying thing is that if you want to know the number of steps you have done, it requires 2 additional steps to dig into the step count. With fitbit and many other fitness trackers, it (step count) just stares at you on the main tracker window.
For me this is an absolutely must feature and apple watch fails big time doing this simple task.

But you have to think about the fact that apple wants that the apple watch is a smartwatch and not a fitness tracker. For me is that a huge difference.

Little vid of the new treadmill :grin:

Stick it in landscape :wink:
https://splice.gopro.com/v?id=6KYpwo

2 Likes

Nice video, love the Anker speaker.

1 Like

Cheers @elmo41683 got to have some Anker tunes on and decided to go for the Anker Premium Bluetooth Speaker instead of earphones.

1 Like

Picture overload… I LIKE!!!

2 Likes

Haha Soz :joy: maybe could of done a collage :confused:

A post was merged into an existing topic: Spam 3-16-2020

Indeed, the fitness tracker is a superb invention for those who monitor their weight, activity level, and overall health. At first, 5 years ago, I used my smartphone Samsung galaxy S6 to control the number of steps taken and pulse during training, but it made a lot of mistakes, incorrect calculations and indeed, it is uncomfortable in use. So, I took Huawei Band and it completely suited me, but I lost it on a trip. Then I decided to lose weight, but I had some medical directions and health prohibitions, so my doctor advised me the best exercise bike to lose weight and I returned to the question of a new fitness tracker. Now I use the Samsung Galaxy Watch because it can be connected to my phone and there are more possibilities than in simple models.

1 Like

I have the Xiaomi Amazfit and I’m pleased with it.

I was hoping Anker would make a fitness tracker, their hardware is very good quality and this product could fit in with their existing product line of chargers and other products.

2 posts were merged into an existing topic: Spam Links / Accounts - ongoing Qqqqq