[FCC] PowerConf

I’m liking the look of this so far and can see where this fits into the commercial market.
I’m not sure about other parts of the world but the majority of companies here in the UK who’s on-premise PBX is due for an upgrade are moving over to the hosted environment.
With many users being functional mobile users (giving the ability to use a desk phone and soft phone app on the mobile and laptop and being contactable on your office extension number and DDI) many users are opting to use the laptop based app with Bluetooth or USB headsets.
For those that attend off site meetings, having a small conference unit to connect to your laptop which utilises your business hosted extension, has huge benefits.
For impromptu in office meetings and conference calls this brings the same benefits and not having to be tied to the “hardwired” unit in a meeting/boardroom.

It’s busy old market though guys, with the respected brands such as Polycom, Jabra and Sennheiser already having a good offering and a commercial reputation to match.

2 Likes

The biggest benefit of having the PowerConf register as SIP Line is easy of use, or is the main benefit of having a Enterprise grade Phone on desk.

I see 2 issues arising out of the PowerConf in the Long run:

1. Think of this scenario - Bluetooth pairing issues… and there is an important meeting to join. and all users have different phone models … iphones, samsung, oneplus, 2plus, …and etc…

2. Support Issues for local IT / Helpdesk to support, though it is not directly related to them but dependent on the user phones.

From what I see, PowerConf will be a good fit for end user to own personally and use it for his calls while in a conference room, or a company provided device for individuals.

3 Likes

Agree re the pairing issues, I only use a USB headset for that reason. Depending on your business, telecoms need to reliable.
I’m not so sure on the conference unit being directly connected to a SIP or hosted provider, not unless Anker wants to hit the market hard.
As a manufacturer you open yourself up to compatibility with different platforms, working with providers to ensure your product updates rollout ahead of, or with, changes to the platform so users aren’t left without service after upgrades. A key point is provisioning string compatibility and having a distributor with the ability to add provisioning strings depending on the platform it will connect too before suppling to the reseller.
Personally I would use this unit for work, hardwired!
I often find myself in meetings with clients and needing to bring providers in for parts of the meeting. Currently I use my mobile or the clients desk phone which works, but isn’t ideal.
As for IT support, my word, in my experience (which isn’t IT) anything that comes close to connecting to a computer always ends up with a call to IT if something doesn’t work/seem to work correctly. :man_facepalming:t2:
Our in house IT team tells all kinds of stories of the weird and plain stupid calls they get from clients, flat batteries in a cordless mouse is one that springs to mind :rofl:

2 Likes

i hear you :rofl::rofl::rofl: though I work in the Unified Communications engineering team, not directly in the IT / Support, but get to hear all the horror stories happening in conference rooms

2 Likes

Small world, I’m in a similar line of work, although I’m in project management and dabble in some client training.
We supply UC solutions of various types, mainly from BT on the WHC and Broadcloud platforms.
On premise phone system if required, high end data connections and lines rentals.
I visit new clients often with the sales managers, mainly dealing with the NHS and a few other government organisations, and offer technical solutions to meet their needs and to improve efficiency. And if we win the contract I project manage the provisioning and commissioning.

2 Likes