Fastest charging combinations for iPhone XR?

We That’s beyond dumb. Why would they, Apple, design it that way. Soooo frustrating. Build these phones to match the freaking prices we are paying for them. That tech, allowing the 2A, I assume is not hard, it’s more of a choice not do something than to do extra work? Anyway, that’s annoying, but that means that my 3 and 6ft cables should be giving me the same results. Which is fine. I only needed the 6ft for charging in my room, the 3ft is my main/mobile cable. I can charge my phone from my laptop! C is a beautiful thing. I just wish all companies would start using it and to its full potential (my laptop’s C is not Thunderbolt, also annoying). Thank for your knowledge and where may I get one of those neat little digital meters?

P.S I’m not touching the Anker discount thing because for us, different countries, means different prices/deals.

There is a wide range of meters. You need one to match your needs, so right back at you.

If you’re embedded in the Apple ecosystem with Lightning, you’d need a meter which can test Lightning cables. You can quasi estimate it via current.

I only own a USB A and a USB C meter which displays A and V, so lacks Wh (I’d have to sit over it and watch often to calculate Wh from V A and h).

@onstar bought a meter which measures Wh, but it has no NVRAM so it needs watching just before power cuts.

Correction. It has NVRAM, but you have to manually press a button to save data. It does not auto-save data prior to power cutting off. But yes, you have to watch it. Or set up a webcam to watch it.

1 Like

I’ve had my XR for 18 months now. Anecdotally, all of my USB-C PD chargers (18W, 30W, 65W) charge my iPhone XR really fast. Feels like I get it from ~0% to ~80% in like 30 minutes (ok, I just googled and I guess it’s 0% to 50% in 30 minutes but whatever). I also have 5 of the Anker PowerCore PD batteries (3 different models).

I used my meter to verify just now. They all charge the iPhone XR at ~9V at ~2A.

2 Likes

Seems like the XR was quite a popular phone :+1: my dad has it

I do not like that answer, because it’s true lol. Why does Apple© always design things to be unique to their system. (Don’t actually answer that, I already know what it is) But, much appreciated for the advice!

That’s because with the XR and other models of iPhone there is a range of battery percentage, say 0%-80%, where the phone will charge faster than from 80-100. That is the Quick/Fast charging they talk about and it may even be more effective at a lower range, but once your phone hits 80% it automatically stops taking as much of a charge and slows down the closer it gets to 100, which is why I rarely charge my phone to 100%. It does this for 2 reasons, the obvious one being the phone charges fast, to a point, but they can marker that. 2. The reason it slows down is to avoid overcharging or over-working the Lithium-Ion battery in order to extend its lifetime and capacity because people just leave their devices plugged in for hours without using them (before overcharge protection) and they would heat up or even catch fire. The battery works by literally moving Ions to create a charge and stores it, but if you continue to move those ions and the energy has no safe place to go, it’s going to go in the path of least resistance.

I feel a little professory, lol