[eufy doorbell] Location of Data-Storage Survey!

Hey eufyianics! :wave:

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Inspired by the eufy cam kickstarter campaign comment section question above,
i would like to hear from the community where they wish to be their video doorbell data to be stored.

• I do OWN a eufy DOORBELL but DO NOT OWN a eufy cam and therefore do NOT OWN a homebase, so i guess i have to deal with having the data stored right INSIDE THE DOORBELL.
  • I do OWN a eufy DOORBELL and(!) also OWN a eufy cam and therefore having a HOMEBASE AVAILABLE, so even if the data is encrypted i would prefer to have the data stored INSIDE THE HOMEBASE’s SD-CARD to not have to deal with data-loss in case of THEFT or VANDALISM.
  • I do NOT OWN a eufy DOORBELL and DO NOT OWN a eufy cam and therefore do NOT OWN a homebase, but IF I WOULD OWN BOTH, i would prefer to have the data stored INSIDE THE HOMEBASE’s SD-CARD to not have to deal with data-loss in case of THEFT or VANDALISM.
  • I do NOT OWN a eufy DOORBELL but DO OWN a eufy cam and therefore also OWN a homebase, and IF I WOULD OWN A DOORBELL TOO in the future, i would prefer to have the data stored INSIDE THE HOMEBASE’s SD-CARD to not have to deal with data-loss in case of THEFT or VANDALISM.
  • I do NOT OWN any eufy security cam and/or doorbell and probably will never ever, so i DO NOT CARE at all where the data is stored.

0 voters

1 Like

I don’t own a doorbell yet, but since I won the testing event, I have one coming.

I don’t really see problem with local storage, as long as I can still access it via my phone. I am curious as to if I can put an additional SD (or micro SD preferably) to expand the storage on the doorbell :thinking:

1 Like

Congrats! :clap:

As you could read it out of the answers and the concerns of Abhishikth Chandra above:
Everyone who knows (or doesnt know) that the eufy doorbell is saving the data right inside the doorbell, can steal the whole doorbell or even destroy it (vandalism) and you would not even have the chance to see afterwards who the offender has been!

You just need to live in a big city or downtown or have evil neighbors to know how fast it can happen that your doorbell gets destroyed or stolen.

Sure, living in the countryside at the a55 of the world, having a detached house with like no neighbors and only friends, family and the postman coming to your door … you won’t even think about such possible issues :wink:

1 Like

I do Own a eufy doorbell and Eufy cam and i would like to have the data stored in HomeBase SD Card

2 Likes

I don’t own their doorbell or Eufy cam but I do own an Anker Cam. Personally, I prefer storage on a SD card vs cloud. I don’t like to depend on an app or internet connection.

1 Like

Oh that makes sense. I didn’t think of that…

1 Like

@TechMan That’s why i tried to give “food for thought” :wink:
(German: Denkanstoß, don’t know how to say it in english correctly) :disappointed:

I like where you are going here @yamyam ! Im doing some research to see what camera setup would be better for my situation. If I purchase the eufycam E then I would love the storage to be on the homebase instead of the doorbell. Your right, if they steal it, IT IS GONE!

1 Like

Question. Can I make the data upload to my cloud storage? For instance google drive or something?

1 Like

I was wondering the same… I would much rather the data not leave my house, would love to see if its possible to somehow save footage to a local share of some sort.

1 Like

Congrats on winning the We Love Testing event @TechMan

1 Like

Don’t know as i do not own a doorbell, but maybe some other owners or @AnkerSupport can answer you this question.

May be in the future they will allow you to store it to NAS as they did for eufycam. Not to Google drive.
Some body :male_detective::nerd_face: can figure it out may be using the settings used for NAS , and some third party hardware (Pi) or software to store it to your personal cloud.

@yamyam another good point, though we don’t own the doorbell,:sunglasses: @Ankerofficial need to see your contribution to the communityand send you (and me) a doorbell for testing :gift: :tada:

1 Like

When I receive mine I’ll let you know :+1:

Bonus option, RTSP to a NAS for better data protection.

I don’t own their doorbell or Eufy cam but I do own an Anker Cam. Personally, I prefer storage on a SD card vs cloud. I don’t like to depend on an app or internet connection.

Even with the Eufy Cam you have to depend on the app and an internet connection. Unless of course you want to pop off your doorbell, unhook the wires, open it up, remove the SD card, put the SD card in your computer, transfer the data you want., etc, etc, etc.

All of that really makes the cloud seem like the second coming to me.

Homebase that only make sense.
To have all in one single place.

Thanks.

1 Like

Okay, here’s what it all boils down to…

The videos can only be stored on that 4gb of built in storage.

1. It’s not expandable by an SD card
  2. They can’t automatically download to your phone- the photo roll or files
  3. They can’t be stored on a cloud service (I think iCloud/google drive/Dropbox/other cloud services integrated into the app would be useful)
  4. They can’t be stored on a NAS

This is horrible- and atrocity- an outrage… I don’t know that I can recommend a doorbell that is missing all of this.

Cmon, at the very least let me use and SD card. Everything else I listed should be available as well…

1 Like

I disagree with you on the storage. I do not want to keep all my videos. My kids run in and out of the house activating the motion sensor. I simply go in and erase what I don’t want. I have several days stored on the doorbell and still have about 84% left. I dont know what type of video compression is being used but so far it has worked better than my Ring Pro. I paid Ring $30 bucks a year for cloud storage but it really wan’t necessary. What would be the biggest benefit if the videos could also be stored on a eufycam homebase. Now that would be awesome. That is when and if I go with the eufycam.

Here are the problems…

1. You are manually deleting videos to get the amount of storage you use- this is ineffective and a waste of my time
  2. If all the videos are stored on the camera, and can easily be destroyed or stolen by an intruder
  3. 4gb really isn’t enough. They should have built in at least 8, but probably 16.

I am not talking about paying eufy for a cloud storage, I am taking about a cloud storage I already pay for…