Eufy Doorbell Feedback Thread

Motion detection for the doorbell is not good. Especially compared to the competition. It’s terrible.

Mine misses people, only detects people within 10 feet when it does work. And does mostly false positives on trees and car wheels. It’s pretty poor for a security device. Nearly unusable, not counting the fact that if someone just tears it off the wall they take your recordings with them… And there goes any evidence/recordings!

Basically until they add ability to record off of the device and fix they motion I’m not sure how anyone really recommends this thing as a security device. Anyone recommending it hasn’t a clue about security. It won’t take long before thief’s can identify the look of this and know they can just take it with them rendering it useless… I mean all you need is a small pin.

Not impressed…

Are people paid to review this device on Amazon or just ignorant?

As a security device its a F rating

As a doorbell it’s a B at best. And I only rate it as that because it’s very fast responding to the doorbell ringing. Leaving the poor motion detection out if the equation.

So if you need a doorbell with a video camera this is it. It’s not a security device in it’s current state. And frankly overpriced for a video doorbell.

1 Like

I will second what your saying regarding motion detection, sounds exactly like mine.

1 Like

this thread should split out battery vs wired. i believe the battery doorbell stores the videos in the homebase 2. it has human detection as well as just motion which in my testing works pretty well. i have had the battery version for over a month without false alarms. my only complaint is with latency. the 2 way communication has a long way too go.

Ya, if it does that it is a big advantage. (storage external to the doorbell)

Speaking for the wired version it too has person “AI” body identification. Problem is if you enable that fully to “Human Only” detection it misses people/events frequently. The only way to make the motion detection somewhat reliable is to select one up from “All Motion”. If full motion is selected it will false alarm more often; including simple times like when the device switches from day/night vision mode.

Anyone walking further than 10 feet from the doorbell goes completely unnoticed. Well, unless that is you are a car wheel/tire or a tree blowing in the wind.

This means no detection in my yard or driveway further than 10’ from my door. This is even with the entire screen selected as a motion area (same as selecting none). Even with these higher motion settings it still misses people every week. I catch people leaving; can’t see their faces.

Now, if you have a limited view from your doorbell I can see this product working OK at best. But on my house where I have a small porch and you can clearly/easily see my driveway/front yard. The doorbell’s ability to only detect motion within 10 feet is not adequate. It means that 80% or more of the cameras viewing area is not used for motion detection.

Support has somewhat admitted this is by design (the 10’ limitation). I worked with them for couple of weeks. The conversation was going in circles (mostly canned responses) … So I numbered/outlined all of the questions/comments and asked them to address them by number. Once I did this it was obvious they didn’t have answers. I received no confirmation the 10’ motion detection limit was viewed as an issue and being worked on. I left the conversation believing they think this is all OK and acceptable for the product. They did ask if I wanted a refund which was nice. I’m considering it because really as I mentioned this product in it’s current state is at best an expensive glorified video peephole; it provides little to no reliable security. And once word is out the video is only stored on the device and you can simply remove it with a small pin and some side cutters crooks will take advantage knowing this… You can easily steal one of these doorbells in less than 5 seconds taking the evidence/proof with you! Which is why it’s useless as a security device.

Good news is I believe they can fix this stuff with firmware; especially the ability to record off the doorbell/device. Once that feature is available (mentioned in the forum it’s being worked on) I’ll change my tune/reviews and recommend it. Because then I can setup a permanent recordings anywhere I choose and review video even if the doorbell does get stolen…

Speaking for latency on the hardwired doorbell. I have the house Wifi setup well/efficient (multiple mesh nodes; so no Wifi base station is overloaded with wireless clients). And our internet is dedicated fiber. Speaking for latency it performs flawless. Notifications for when the doorbell is rang on my phone are less than 2 seconds. Quite impressive actually… far better than the competition.

So and will all of that…

Support: is there a status for ONVIF, RTSP or similar support for off device recording?

Eufy should just release a 4K Home Kit wired version of their doorbell
and put Ring out of business already!!!
could it be that hard? a 4k doorbell.

Innovate don’t Immitate!!

i run a mesh wifi as well. i get the notificatiuons in seconds and the system overall is rock solid . the latency i am speaking of is the 2 way communication with the doorbell and cameras. how is yours (wired version) in this regard.

It’s good to know the latency on the notifications is fast on both and consistent.

The 2 way communication; it’s “OK”. There’s noticeable lag talking; it hasn’t been an issue as I’ve only used it testing with my wife. In the 5-6 weeks we’ve had it there hasn’t been a use case for the 2-way communication.
In testing my only comment is our voices were not very loud coming out the speaker on the doorbell. However the pre-recorded samples were much louder.

I’m beginning to believe every video doorbell’s motion detection sucks unless you have the perfect location in regards to terrain, light and shadows. I had hopes for this one, but after a day of working “ok” it’s took a turn for the worse and I’m missing persons being detected 95% of the time even fiddling with zones, sensitivity, restarts, resets, you name it. My door is West facing and gets bright sunlight all day, wonder if that messes with these thing. My last 2 brands of doorbell cams sucked too overall. Eufy Online chat wasn’t much help. I reached out for an exchange or a refund. If I can’t get this to work better I’m all done with video doorbells and going back to a dumb door bell and use my blink cam I have in front of my house to watch the door. All these manufacturers talk a good talk but their support forums seem to tell another tale. The folks who’s work as they should or close to it my hat is off to you! lol

1 Like

Sounds like it needs an update

2 Likes

Most of the time the doorbell works fine but sometimes I have a problem where I get event notifications on my phone but when I go to the Event viewer, it has no events. My theory on what is going on:

• Event notifications are reported immediately and do not require a server connection
  • Storing the video for an event does require a server connection even if the video is stored locally

I was guessing that the Eufy server has been having outages lately but tech support claims this isn’t the case. Comcast internet has been a bit spotty lately so perhaps that the weak link. I reported this by email to Eufy support and requested that local video be saved even if the server cannot be contacted. They said they were working on this. Their followup questions, however, made me wonder if they actually understood the issue or if they were just trying to make me happy.

I’ve had the wired doorbell installed at my in-laws house since June 27 and so far it’s been solid. I have not adjusted anything from out of the box in terms of sensitivity and I have seen some alerts for the flag blowing in the wind and once for a plant, but overall I’d say it’s working as well as I can expect. My only complaint 5 days in (and what’s keeping me from getting one for my own house right now) is the lack of homekit support.

Your detection sounds like mine, mine is good to around 13ft thoroughly tested, it’ll pick up large vehicles / some vans or delivery sized trucks in the street 25ft away directly in front of it, but not regular cars or people.
Just an update: I was in contact with tech support about the detection range, they were very helpful and responsive, but I was told and I quote:
“Please note at first that the maximum motion detection range is roughly 3~4 meters (9~13 ft), thus it may misses some of the events which are happened outside the detection range.”
They did say that the system was under constant improvement and that they would forward this concern to the developers.
Let’s wait and see, 13ft is way too close, they may extend it?

Hi Support,

Today I am becoming a member for the eufy family by purchasing the eufy Security, Wireless Video Doorbell (Battery-Powered) with 2K HD. I am so happy that I bought this as this has better features than a ring. I did pretty much a lot of research to buy this door bell as you know there is a big competition for door bell as per today’s market.

Today I found that your application is not supported on my samsung fridge Model no# RF262BEAES. My fridge has a tablet on it and I can see that it has the application for a ring app but I cannot find your app. Can you please let me know when this will be available on my samsung fridge app. As this is one of the convenient ways for my mom or my wife to communicate with a stranger when they ring the bell, so that automatically the live feed is shown on the fridge app.

Guys this is one of the game changing ways to communicate and I wish you guys had this. please let me know if this app is available then how can i get it on my fridge. If not available then i may have to rethink buying a ring doorbell just because of this convenient feature. please let me know

Thanks & regards

Sreejith Mohan

You guys should check out the Eufy community

My Eufy doorbell camera has been acting weird recently. It went offline. I tried to re-start the router as Eufy suggested but it did not work. I then plugged in the power chord and the camera came back online. However, once placed at the door for a couple of days, it went offline again. Back in to be plugged in the power chord and it came back online right way. The battery is actually full as I just charged it but this weird thing keeps happening. Any suggestions?

Look here : Eufy Video Doorbell - random rings in the middle of the night
You are not the only one to have this problem, it started with random rings and now it’s random shutdown