Effiency of Anker powerbanks

Is there a list with the output efficiency of last 2 generation powerbanks.
I’m especially interested knowing this for the:

• PowerCore II 20000
  • PowerCore 26800
  • PowerCore+ 26800
2 Likes

Efficiency of discharge is about 95%

But often folks do not understand one cannot simply divide mAh by mAh because the voltages are usually different. Best to divide Wh by Wh.

You then have the efficiency of the device. Efficiency of recharge is less than discharge so your device (e.g. phone) can be less than 90%.

Then any cable losses.

2 Likes

Yeah I know there are many wrong ways to compare efficiency, loss in cable and phone.
Because Anker obviously has no control of losses in cable and phone my question is only about the powerbank itself.
A reviewer on Amazon mentioned that the latest generation Anker powerbanks with the new type of batteries have little less efficiency that the previous generation.
So I want to know that’s true, and how much less efficient it is.

The reason being.
A powerbank is always a trade-off between capacity* and size/weight. So I’m looking for the most capacity per oz/gram so to speak.

*=Capacity after conversion, because that’s the only capacity that counts, because that’s the capacity I can use

To measure efficiency would involve a USB meter accumulating the mAh out of the Anker products you list, noting that the voltage adjusts in steps as the cell inside the Anker product responded to the slowly dropping charge of the cell as it discharged.

Ahead of anyone doing that I would suggest that the efficiency of what you asked is in the high 90s% and really these are not the droids you are looking for.

If you want to get a first order decision then divide the Wh by either weight or volume depending on what matters to you.

What is more important after you focused on the Anker aspect is your device. You have far more control of what those mAh does in your choice of device.

For the question you didn’t ask first but hint at later, I do track that and it’s not an official list, I try to scrub for errors but is no way guranteed nor official.

Guess what: Anker Powercore 10000 really stands out. Need more? Buy 2.

1 Like

“What is more important after you focused on the Anker aspect is your device. You have far more control of what those mAh does in your choice of device.”

While I agree with that, with all respect, that’s not what I asked.
No matter if a powerbank has an efficiency of 95% or 59%, things like less screen brightness can help a lot. So consider that done.

Yes 2x 10000 is an option too. But in my case a more expensive option without any advantage because I already own a smaller powerbank.
Most models of any brand, including Anker , are off my list because I really want faster charging times. (2x 2A input).
EasyAcc speeds that up even more because they use 2A + QC instead of 2A + 2A

Anyway, thanks for your answers. You just don’t have the answer I’m looking for. That’s no meant as an insult because I don’t know either. I do know that the efficiency of some Anker powerbanks was on their site in the past.

Final question, does the PowerCore II 20000 support pass through charging?

Anyway PowerCore II 20000 was high on my list, but now I have to act fast because it’s one of the discounted summer sale products :smile:

Hi @Dim_Mak , pass through charging is not supported. In regards to efficiency as @nigelhealy has mentioned your looking at the USB meter route to do it yourself or you could drop support@anker.com an email to see if they could shed anymore light on your query.

I recommend not considering efficiency of discharge, as the small differences are dwarfed by other considerations. An efficiency is a function of the current drawn which is device specific.

I also do not recommend looking at the Wattage of input as these are peaks. A cell recharges at 1/2 to 2/3rds it’s discharge rate, so QC input means little. Best to get a recharge time.

So then you have 4 measurable metrics of recharge time, weight, volume and Wh. You could then go for say highest Wh/weight or Wh/volume or something else.

Efficiency is highly contextual.