Daisy chaining battery packs

Can I plug the output of one battery pack into the input of another battery back to double my capacity?

Trying to make an extended setup with two 26800 batteries for my gopro3. Dont want to start a fire or break my batteries

2 Likes

No.

You have two choices of serial or parallel.

Serial is when the output of one goes into the other. Then you’re not actually able to get an output from the 2nd one as it won’t output while it is getting input.

Parallel is when you cut the cables and stitch them together. The issue is they will not always be at the same voltage so one will seek to inject some energy into the other and confuse and fry it.

The best thing is to buy 2 and use one 1 by itself, then use the 2nd by itself.

What Anker does internally between say the 13000 and 26800 is do parallel task itself. Anker does not sell a regular twice 26800 as it then exceeds the TSA maximum and so cannot be assured to fly with.

2 Likes

That was my next question if I could use a battery pack while it’s plugged in and charging…

I am doing tests and getting just about 24 hours per 26800 battery on go pro 3 doing 5 second time lapse

What are you actually trying to do?

We can then point you into which corner. You just asked a question which was cheap but not reliable, there are other directions.

7 day time lapse of carribean on a cruise ship with no a/c plug using a GoPro 3 Black.

Oh that’s sounds amazing. So it is not an option just to change them every 24h?

Yes I probably will every morning.I was just wondering if I could reduce my swapping time.

I did a test with a 20000 mAh and got 24 hours and 70gb of pics at 12mb pics every 5 seconds

I am currently running test again at 7mb pics every 5 seconds with a 26800 mAh battery.

I built a custom magnet mount (100lb pull) base and will use another of the same magnets to hold a battery pack in a ziplock in case it rains. The whole ship is metal so magnets are awesome. Goal is to mount it on balcony with front of ship visible in left corner of frame. It’s been done before but I just want to try.
I have a gopro 5 with karma grip and I will use as portable for excursions and walking around ship. I really want to go diving in Honduras with the 5 but the gf isn’t certified and I don’t want to leave her hanging while I’m having fun. The cruise was my gift to her for Xmas :wink:

DO you have to fly at all in the trip? Your batteries have to pass the flying regulation. Typically that is a 100Wh max and 2 of them max so you’d have to carry two 26800 and swap them and buy 26800 of a type to recharge <24hr. Currently cheapest shipping 26800 with a fast recharge is the 26800 with dual 2A input.

Use a solar panel

1 Like

Hmmmmm solar is worth a look!

So I think I will up the interval to a pic every 10 seconds for space concerns

8641 shots per day will be taken (about 41gb)
60482 shots will be taken over the week.(about 287gb)
This will result in a clip length of 33.5 min at 30 frames per second.
The total record time is 168.00 hours.

1 Like

just fyi if anyone is following i got 36+ hours off a 26800 after reducing pics to 5mb. Running test again with a 20000 pack.

Solar would work with pass-thru battery which Anker does not make.

I suspect this is just going to be one fast recharge battery or more easily two batteries which recharge faster than their output duration.

Hi @bill_rae,

Thank you for bringing this issue to our attention via the community and thanks for the reply from @nigelhealy.

We regret to inform you that it is not recommended to rebuild and do any modifications on the Anker battery by yourself as it will be voided by our 18-month warranty policy. If plugging one charging cable from the USB output port on one PowerCore 26800 to the input port on the other PowerCore 26800, the battery capacity will not be doubled and it is actually charging the other one to do a power transfer.

Sorry for any inconvenience caused and thanks for your support. If you need any further assistance, please contact us via support@anker.com.

So you own a 26800 and you own a 20000 so sounds like you have your answer and just swap between them daily?

1 Like